TripAdvisor
Inbox
Search
Review Highlights
Wackadoodle!

I had a fabulous time w/ Chad on the Kenai! As a long time fisherman, I learned a lot from Chad... read more

Reviewed July 7, 2019
captnbobClayton
clayton
Trip of a Lifetime - Limited out before anyone on the river!

My Aunt and I had a spectacular time on the river with Chad. Chad is an amazing person who is... read more

Reviewed June 26, 2019
calebkleven
Raleigh, North Carolina

All reviews dolly varden trout the river chad teacher equipment fly rainbow trip
Selected filters
Reviewed September 6, 2016 via mobile

I have lived in AK 10 years and chad has become my fish guide every time family and friends visit. Reliably Awesome Every Time. Could not be happier with the service.

Date of experience: September 2016
Management response:Responded February 22, 2017

Thank you JessieLynnHuff for your nice review!

Reviewed September 5, 2016 via mobile

Chad and his crew were absolutely fantastic. Being a beginner fly fisherman, he was very helpful explaining fundamental techniques. His local knowledge of the river was outstanding. Excellent navigator and just and overall good person. They are very accommodating and friendly. I highly recommend them.

Date of experience: September 2016
1  Thank Jim F
Management response:Responded February 22, 2017

Thanks Jim F, It was a pleasure fishing with you!

Reviewed August 20, 2016

Chad is an excellent guide. He's very knowledgeable and a master at his craft. He guided us to different areas, taught us various techniques required for each area and made sure the entire group caught fish. Chad made sure that we had an amazing trip. I plan to see him again next year!

Date of experience: July 2016
Management response:Responded February 22, 2017

r00ster33, thank you for your nice review, and i hope to see you again also!

Reviewed August 16, 2016

Our family just returned from the most AMAZING FAMILY VACATION to ALASKA!!! If you are looking for a WONDERFUL GUIDE ~ I would highly recommend Chad "the Boatman" Martin!! We had booked one day of Trout and Volley Darden Fishing with Chad ~ drift 'n Fly Fishing on the Kenai River starting around Cooper Landing... Our first trip was so AMAZING, that we booked a second trip with Chad, on our "free day" from fishing!! Chad is extremely knowledgeable, has endless patience, is an outstanding teacher/instructor and put us "ON FISH" both days, that we had him as our guide!! He taught my daughter and I the specialized technique of utilizing fly rods, indicators and imitating salmon eggs floating down the river ~ to catch some beautiful rainbow trout and dolly varden. My husband, who is an avid fisherman ~ also was very pleased with Chad. He brought a "Dry Fly" for my hubby to fish with on the second trip and taught our daughter how to really "work that fly rod" ~ which was a thing of beauty. Finally, where Chad guides on the Kenia River, may be one of the most beautiful places on the earth!! You have to take a break from fishing ~ to simply gasp at the beauty of this amazing place!! Book your trip with Chad today ~ as you will not be disappointed!!!
With much appreciation,
The Bishop Family from TEXAS!!! Wayne, Taylor & Courtney

Date of experience: August 2016
1  Thank 23courtney
Management response:Responded February 22, 2017

Thank you for your review 23courtney, what a great time fishing with the Bishop clan from Texas!

Reviewed August 6, 2016

If you're looking for the best guide on the Kenai than look no further than the " Boatman ". Our guide Chad ( the boatman himself ) was extremely knowledgeable, patient, and most importantly, he put us on the fish. Honestly since the surroundings are so majestic the fish catching part is kind of a bonus, but when that first bite occurs and your drag is screaming you'll be glad you choose Chad.

Boatman's has access to the exclusive " Refuge " where the first fish of the day was a 40lb King. Different techniques are his specialty and being from the Midwest I was right at home with trolling the channel on Skilak lake for trophy salmon. After trolling it was off to fly fishing the Kenai which is exactly how you would imagine, extremely scenic, and fun can't even begin to describe it.

Everyone in our group had an awesome experience fishing with Chad and we cannot wait to return.

Date of experience: July 2016
Management response:Responded February 22, 2017

Thanks for your kind response! It would be a pleasure to fish with you again!