Inano Beach Bungalows
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Aitutaki
See available hotels
Rino's Motel(Aitutaki)
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
Tamanu Beach(Aitutaki)
Etu Moana(Aitutaki)
Aitutaki Escape(Aitutaki)
  • Pool
All reviewsold ladylagoon cruisefamily roommotorbike rentalper daycrabself cateringpeace and quietstayed nightsmosquitoesbungalowaccommodationairporthireislandparadiseflowers
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 18, 2010

My husband and I stayed 2 nights in the beachfront bungalow at Inano. We couldn’t fault the accommodation. It was spotlessly clean, private from the other bungalows and the beachfront was very peaceful. During our stay we had a look at some of the more expensive resorts for comparisons’ sake and were stunned that Aitutaki Lagoon Resort and Spa are charging in excess of $1000 for their ‘overwater bungalows’. Admittedly we didn’t look inside, but from the outside we were happier with our more private location.

We were collected at the airport a little late by a flustered Veia, who welcomed us with some slightly browning but still aromatic leis. Upon arrival at the bungalow she took the time to have a chat with us and encouraged us to do the Lagoon Cruise the following day which she offered to book us in for. It was amazing and the highlight of our trip.

We had 2 very peaceful nights at Inano. The resort is small and wasn’t busy – we saw no other guests during our stay. However the following issues did arise:

1) I pre-arranged a late checkout at a cost of $40 as our flight wasn’t till the afternoon of our 3rd day. We don’t get away without kids often and were looking forward to a sleep in. That morning around 9am Veia woke us up, demanding to know when we were going for breakfast. Baffled, we told her that we would be leaving soon. When we arrived back at the bungalow she’d done room service, despite us arranging the late checkout. We had wanted to spend the day relaxing, snorkelling etc but felt we couldn’t use the new towels or sit on the bed as she had left them for the next guests.

2) On our last day Veia had said she would collect us at 4 to take us to the airport (our flight was at 4:40). At 3:45 we were relaxing on the deck bungalow and she said “We’re going now”. I said “Oh, I thought we were leaving at 4” and she replied “No, we’re going now.” We then had to rush around getting our gear ready in about 5 minutes when there was ample time to spare because she wanted us out of the way, no doubt, for her next guests! She was even sweeping the floor under our feet as we were packing! We have never been treated like this before, and it’s unacceptable, especially when you have paid $40 extra to stay late!

3) My husband had previously checked whether we could use the kayaks on the property and Veia had told us to feel free. As we were leaving for the airport Veia asked me whether we’d used the kayaks that morning. When I confirmed we had she said “That will be $20.” She had made no mention of this earlier and had led us to believe they were complimentary. This was the final sting in the tail and by then we were feeling really disillusioned with her service.

I need to reiterate that Inano itself was lovely and we felt good value for money. Unfortunately we didn’t meet any of the other staff that others on tripadvisor have spoken highly of. There were other small issues, like not being told about the filtered water available there much cheaper than the shops (I had to ask) and a faulty kettle in our room, but these are easily passed over when you receive otherwise friendly service. Aitutaki is still recovering from the cyclone and needs tourists; treating them poorly is not going to help get return customers. By the end of our short stay, Veia had made us feel like her agenda was more important than the needs of her guests.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kate1972
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I so wish I have had time to write something earlier than now... my sincerest apologies Veia and Moeau.... I will load some photos of our stay at this sensational place and write a thorough review in the common weeks. Melissa and I cannot wait to visit again. Anyone thinking of going to Aitutaki... I truly recomend Inano Beach Bungalows... although we normally stay at 5 star resorts... we were so impressed with Inano and so very happy we did not stay at a large 5 star resort as Inano is truly unique and absolutely beautiful. Please feel free to contact me at any time if you have any questions about Inano. I promise you will not be disappointed with Inano and the sensational hosts, Veia, Moeau, Tu and Junior ! They are now family to us.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2009

I'll get the important things over first -
view from beachfront bungalow AMAZING, bungalow big and clean, bed very comfortable, water in shower hot, swimming hole fantastic, mossies lots, location (for us) couldn't be better.

OK, the detail.

We came to AItutaki after six nights at Muri Beach Cottages on Raro. Our whole holiday was booked around the five nights at Inano in the beachfront bungalow.

Met at the airport by the wonderful Teu (hope I've spelt that right) who is the housekeeper at Inano. Teu showed us around the bungalow and explained about water, and more importantly beer, being avalable from Moeau. We just had to ask.

The bungalow had just been vacated by an Aussie mother and her 13yo son who had been staying for three weeks. Ethan had arrived with a typical 13yo's attitude - there's nothing to do - and ended up three weeks later not wanting to leave. We're not surprised.

I agree with what all previous posters have said about the bungalows. They're huge, have great verandahs, are fully screened to keep the mossies out, are far enough away from each other that you aren't looking in on each other. All excpet the becahfront face the lagoon on an angle, the beachfront faces straight out to the lagoon. They are serviced daily except Sunday. Moeau hangs bananas that he grows away from Inano on a branch that you can take if you feel like one. Apparently when the mangoes are in season they are also offered.

Veia was away during our visit - she actually flew back to the island on the plane we were leaving on. Teu as I've said was wonderful and very welcoming. Moeau was friendly but maybe hadn't had many gay couples stay before. Maybe we were just a little paranoid.

The gardens are beautiful - Junior does a great job looking after them.

The beach - it is not a soft sand beach like we have here in Australia. I'm thinking that what's there is what was excavated out of the lagoon to make the swimming hole. It's kind of set like concrete but there was only one other family staying so we didn't have a problem using the loungers. We're not sunbakers so it wouldn't have bothered us if they'd been taken. The sand round at Samade, a five minute walk away, was soft if that's your thing.

The water - it was clean and nice and cool. It gets deep pretty much straight away so you'd need to keep an eye on children.

One reviewer complained about the mud in the swimming hole and said the sand was just a thin layer. I agree with Moeau's response. It is sand for a long, long way down. But.... there is also very fine silt mixed into the sand that gives an odd texture to it. If you've ever swum in a lake in an old limestone quarry you'll know what I'm talking about. We loved the swimming hole. In summer, the coolness of the water will be a big bonus.

Location - we loved the location. We had five cafes/restaurants withing walking distance. We ate dinner at The Boatshed twice -very good meals. Samade three times - one ok lunch, one very ordinary dinner and island night that we really enjoyed. We ate at Koru Cafe for breakfast - the pancakes were FANTASTIC! We didn't make it for lunch but heard that the lunches were huge. Also went to Sunday bbq over at Tamanu.

Beer - appeared to be $5 most places for standard beers. Strangely, Samade charged either $6 or 6.50 for the same beers. Weird. Wine - surprised that wine was what we would consider cheap (from a restaurant perspective) at Raro and even more so on Aitutaki considering how difficult it is to get stuff there.

Things to do - we hired a scooter for a day from The Boatshed so we could ride around the island. We went up to the lookout. We walked out into the lagoon from Samade and up past The Aitutaki Lagoon Resort and Spa and along the motus until we decided we'd gone far enough. Maybe a two hour walk there and then back in an hour.

We went out on the glass bottom boat lagoon cruise (Teu organised that for us) and then the yellow boat lagoon cruise (we booked that at the visitor centre). Both were fantastic. REALLY FANTASTIC. Would have liked to go out with Teking as well if we'd had another day so that we could have experienced lunch sat out in the water. Which ever cruise you choose you'll have an amazing experience. You just won't believe the intensity fo the blues until you experience them. Photos just can't do it justice.

Finally, mossies. There are a lot of mossies on Aitutaki and they are worst around the inner lagoon. We brought mossie coils with us and we were left some by the family who had been in the bungalow before us. We also bought more at Koru. I lit one as soon as I got up and sat it out on the verandah. I had one sat on a saucer inside ecah night. I can cope with ants and flies and spiders but hate mossies buzzing around my head at night. Didn't hear one!

So that's about it. Yes, long like all of my reviews, but I hope those who read this get something out of it even if you don't stay at Inano. We loved it and if we went back to Aitutaki we would stay at Inano again (but we'd also stay a week on the west coast as well) :-)

If you are interested in the full review of our Cook Islands holiday, with lots more photos, we have a travel blog on Travelpod under aussiepanda

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank pandaboys
Reviewed October 22, 2009

My daughter (18) and I spent two weeks at Inano Beach Bungalows and we loved it.

The location is a dream: a quiet cove in the inner lagoon with no immediate neighbors, yet in walking distance to the Koru Cafe, the Boatshed and Samade. The walk along a palm grove path to O’otu is a joy. For early birds, Inano Beach is just a short walk away from the east side of the island to enjoy the magic of the sunrise above the ocean.

The beach is just beautiful: so white it sometimes hurts the eyes to look at it without sunglasses. There are two lovely beach shades and several loungers.
The owners have dug up the sand all along the property and this makes a huge, deep natural swimming pool. It is ideal for those of us who want to step out of the bungalow and be able to swim any time of the day, whatever the tide. The water is like the water at O’otu beach with the advantage that there are no sea cucumbers here. As there are no neighbors, there are no passersby.
The place has a fascinating beach life: fishes and eels, different crab species, a multitude of living shells, wading birds fishing for their food. I never got bored watching all this beauty: National Geographic live!
There is a beach shower to rinse of the salt and sand. Excellent to keep the bungalow and bathroom free of sand.
The lagoon here is perfect (no coral) and safe to float on an air mattress or inflatable toys: we used ours for hours on end.
Single and double canoes are for rent at NZD10/day.

We stayed at the beachfront unit but all bungalows (except for the family bungalow that has a separate bedroom) are identical. They have a large covered deck set in such a way that even when it rains or on windy days you can sit outside.

The bungalow is very spacious. The high ceiling creates a roomy and airy atmosphere. The way the windows are placed provide for excellent cross ventilation. There is no air conditioning but I think those two features make it redundant even in summer (there is also a ceiling fan).
Full screening makes the bungalow a safe haven against mosquitoes.
Although the kitchen is not abundantly equipped, it has everything you need to cook your own meals (during the two weeks we stayed there, we only ate out twice). It has a microwave oven, water boiler, toaster but no coffee machine.
The bathroom is functional and comfortable, and above all immaculately clean.

The beach, the grounds and the bungalows are very clean: the grounds raked and the bungalows serviced daily, except on Sundays.
There were always free bananas and the handyman provided us with freshly husked coconuts: delightful.

What makes this place special though, is the dedication of the owners to their place and the respect for their culture demonstrated in the use of traditional crafts: no plastic but solid, locally handmade wooden loungers; walls, ceiling and cupboard doors covered with locally plaited pandanus panels, the roof thatching handmade by Veia herself, the wooden carved giant spoon and fork in the kitchen, the wooden tipani flowers in the bathroom, the hand printed flowers in the corners of the sheets and the colourful bedspreads, all make this place very charming.

Veia and Moeau are attentive and discrete in their approach to their guests.

Although the view from the beachfront unit is absolutely fabulous, most of the other bungalows have a partial view of the lagoon that is very nice as well. They are well spaced and the lay-out of the garden provides adequate privacy.

Good value.

Bottom line: charming, cozy, comfortable, clean

• Stayed: August 2009
8  Thank Chinagazer
Reviewed October 2, 2009

We stayed 10 days (not long enough) at Inanobeach Bungalows. Our accommodation was the beachfront bungalow.
This place must be the No 1 spot.
Inanobeach is the recipe to absolute relaxation.
Moeau and Veia are so much fun, helpful and friendly. They do everything they can for you. Veia has the most incredible laugh and also is a great cook, especially island food.
The bungalows are very clean, roomy and get serviced every day. Also not to forget Junior, he is a good fisher man.
We had a extremely great time, good swimming , there is a huge swimming hole approximately 50 m long, 10 m wide and 3 m deep, which is refreshing and really helps at low tide.
A truly gem in the Pacific and fantastic. Not to mentioned the colour of the lagoon. Who wants to go to anywhere else??
And last not least, when you eventually have to leave this place
you can swim till the last minute and then hop on the plane.
Thanks Moeau and Veia