“A little corner of Heaven”
Review of Matriki Beach Huts

and 1 more site!
Matriki Beach Huts
Noosa, Australia
“A little corner of Heaven”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

When I was on Aitutaki in June, I discovered Matriki, quite by accident. It's one of those places that you immediately know you have to come back to. I was staying in different accommodation at the time, but booked with Tracey and Trevor to stay at Matriki on my next visit. My feelings served me well! I stayed at Matriki for two weeks, but even that didn't feel like long enough. Tracey and Trevor have made Matriki absolutely charming. The rustic beach huts are really delightful, and no attention to detail has been spared. I stayed in the 'Beach Hut' There's everything you could possibly need in one delightful and very cute package. I loved it.

Other than the amazing environment and very well maintained accommodation, possibly the most captivating thing about staying at Matriki is the warm, inclusive atmosphere. It's a place for travellers, as opposed to tourists. Singles and couples, families, friends, it all works really well, with each guest being unique in their own way, and from a particular corner of the world, so it makes it really interesting. Tracey and Trevor evoke this inclusive ambience, and that's something that's important to me. Everyone I met who stayed there felt the same. It's not just the place you stay in, but the people and the atmosphere that's probably more important for me.

Trevor went out of his way to ensure that all his guests were treated to wonderful lagoon tours and snorkelling trips if they wanted to. Nothing was too much trouble, and the wonderful old Matriki boat is just perfect for this purpose. It's loaded with character. Both Trevor and Tracey prepare wonderful food for these trips, and again, no detail is left unattended. They put in a lot of effort, and the prices are very reasonable. Tracey's touch around Matriki is unmistakable, but more importantly, their warm hearts make you feel welcome and relaxed.

I can't recommend this place highly enough, but if you're looking for luxury, this is not it. It's rustic, cute, charming, comfortable, very adequate, and the beachfront location is one of the best (in my opinion) on the island. The snorkelling off the beach is also very good, with a host of small coral bombes scattered around, the home of a myriad of small, beautiful and brightly coloured fish, as well as a very, very large giant clam.

Go there!! You'll be missing out on a very unique experience if you don't.

Room Tip: They're all great, but my favourite is the Beach Hut.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Carolyn G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Honestly, this is one of the nicest, most beautiful places in the world. Tracey and Trevor have done a tremendous job with Matriki. It's the details that make a difference. The huts are immaculate. They put thought into every little detail, from the curtains to the kitchen equipment. We have absolutely no complaints. If you want a resort with a TV, don't stay here - it's not for you. But if you want to enjoy Aitutaki as it should be and experience paradise, this place is awesome.

Those sunsets will never get boring.

Room Tip: The Beach Hut was perfect. No in-suite toilet, but the shared ones were always clean available.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vaneynde
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Hi thanks for your review.
You are right this is a beautiful island and we have worked hard to make Matriki as comfortable and friendly as possible. We are always in the process of making improvements and your right it is the attention to detail that makes a place stand out from the rest. The natural beauty of the place is most peoples idea of paradise, we just try to make our little piece of it as easy going as possible and try to help our guest in any way we can. If you love what you do people can see it and feel it and respond to it the most positive of ways. We have meet so many wonderful people and some like you guys will be friends forever. Please drop us a line and tell us how you are, oh and when you are booking for next year.
Trevor Tracey and of course Ted
Camas, Washington
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had a wonderful experience staying at Matriki, despite my initial hesitancy of thinking it would be " roughing it" :) It was awesome and we are so glad we made the choice to stay here! Tracey and Trevor were so welcoming and our beach hut made us feel we actually were on our own little island. The snorkeling right in front of us was fantastic, and the cultural tour, and lagoon cruise were highlights. Our hut was clean and cute-and the toilets were always kept clean and were not a typical "outhouse" - like one may expect. Outdoor showers were fun too.
This was a wonderful and more authentic way to experience Aitutuaki, and as a travel agent, I highly recommend it--something different from the typical resort experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lynnblair
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were lucky enough to stumble upon Matriki Beach Huts when surfing the Internet for an affordable place to stay in Aitutaki. Despite being there only five nights, the experience was fully enjoyed with snorkling, scooting around the island and eating in remote dinners in the forest.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jdesy
Reno, Nevada, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Matriki is an experience not just a place to lay your head. The huts are alongside each other right on the beach though they are amazingly private. After reading several reviews before booking, I was a bit concerned about privacy but found my stay to have plenty of quiet time and space for this contemplative reader/writer/ocean gazer who enjoys a good nap on vacation.The grounds are fun are well kept. The bathrooms are incredibly clean. My bed was iffy. They provide all the drinking water and a few mosquito coils and kitchen amenities to kick start your stay. Be sure to read the information provided in each hut. It will outline services and provisions.Trevor and Tracey are wonderful hosts! They have a son named Ted. They care a great deal about what they do and how they do it and they care a great deal about your stay with them. The tours were amazing. Trevor has taught himself much about navigating the lagoon. Aitutaki is all about the lagoon, so get out there as many times as you can. The lagoon is breathtaking and you'll learn something new and see something new with every go. I'm not much into going back to places I've been before, I'd much rather go somewhere new but I'd like to get back to Matriki before Trevor and Tracey are on to new adventures. They make you wanna come back to them. Funny little tidbit...Trevor was the "go to" guy for just about everything so I was naturally inclined to go to him when it was time to wrap things up at the end of my stay. I quickly realized that Trevor hasn't quite figured out how to master his generous heart with the business side of things so, look to Tracey for your office needs. They are a wonderful team and an endearing couple. Thanks for leaving a wonderful impression on me and making my experience all that it was.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Rene P
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed at Matriki for 8 nights and couldn't be more pleased with the entire experience. While Aitutaki is a remarkable place itself, the kindness and camaraderie that Tracey and Trevor instill at Matriki is second to none and really made it difficult to leave.

Point in case: the weather on the island was unusually "wet" when I was there, with overcast skies and a good day of solid rain. This could have put a damper on the trip, but the homeliness and care that T & T showed at Matriki made even the rainy day unforgettable. Here are some of the highlights, in no particular order:

1) Trevor offered to make dinner one night for $10NZD (which is a huge bargain in the Cooks) -an awesome, gourmet, pizza with homegrown herbs easily big enough for two meals- and said he'd deliver it to my beach accommodation. When I joked that that was "white glove" treatment, Trevor delivered the pizza in "white gloves" (surgical gloves). He also brought a lantern for the porch which made subsequent nights reading and enjoying the breeze very enjoyable.
2) the cleanliness of the accommodations and bathrooms was second to none. The place seems to always be swept and tidy, sand-free, and wonderfully cozy
3) After clearing a bunch of coconuts from the palms surrounding Matriki, both Trevor and Tracey took time to show each of us staying there how to open the coconuts and scrape the meat, and provided containers for us to hold the coconut water and shaved bits. I got more information about coconuts in that 45-minute "presentation" than I could have anyplace else!
4) the outrigger is a great addition, if tricky- Trevor showed me how to operate it, and then stood worriedly on the beach as I turned circles in it around the lagoon (it was a very gusty day, in my defense!) When I finally jumped out of the outrigger a good ways from shore, I could already see Trevor paddling towards me with a kayak for me to use while he deftly maneuvered the outrigger back to Matriki. I wasn't worried nor exhausted, but the concern he showed was just typical of these two.
5) Coming back to my treehouse hut after a day cycling around Aitutaki and finding a freshly-baked cinammon/raisin scone at my hut, courtesy of Tracey
6) playing darts with the locals at the Fishing Club at T&T's invitation was an amazing way to experience a "normal" Thursday night on the island- better than any planned "island night"
7) Trevor and Tracey's suggestions on things to do on the island was invaluable- from recommending the (free) island night at the neighboring "resort" (which was awesome) to setting up a motu (islet) tour with another operation

...I could go on and on. The giant clam in the lagoon directly in front of Matriki, the sunsets, the Giant Moray Eel I spotted while snorkeling, the safety and comfort I felt the entire time, the last fantastic meal cooked for me prior to heading to the airport- everything that was wonderful about Aitutaki stemmed in many ways from the way that this couple treat their guests, and I can't imagine a more personable experience anywhere else. I have stayed in many places worldwide, but few have made me yearn to return to more than Matriki.

Go, and stay at Matriki- but don't tell too many other people! This island is one secret that needs to stay under the radar.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank cdmbrennan
Hi
Well what a review thanks a whole heap.
It was a pleasure having you stay and even if the weather during your visit was not perfect we do try to make sure that you have the best possible experience.
Some guest are fine at doing their own thing, and some like to be involved in all that goes on around here. Every person is different and has to be treated differently, but we try to make sure that each one gets to experience the Aitutaki that both Tracey and I love so much. We feel so privileged to be here and we like to see our guest's get to experience this fantastic island and its so many different facets. It is the people that you meet that leave the longest impression and we try to create an atmosphere of friendliness, so that we can find out more about you and what you want from a holiday or travel experience. Thanks for the positive feedback and we are so happy you had such a wonderful time here with us. Please come back soon
Taupo, New Zealand
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We booked three nights here with our three kids and from the moment we landed it was a wonderful experience. Tracy met us at the airport as if we were family coming to stay - she was so genuinely welcoming and lovely that we knew we had made the right choice. On arrival the kids loved our little 'tree-house' and we were delighted how close to the water we were - literally just a few steps. There were barbecue tables on the sand and a fire pit and an outrigger canoe for us to use.

While there we had a couple of bonfires on the beach with other guests and also a pot luck dinner in which a lovely local family we had met came and brought fresh tuna and told us more about the island and its people. At one point i could see a couple at the $650 a night resort next door looking longingly over at us all chatting and laughing together. While Matriki isn't a luxury resort, you can't put a price on having a genuine experience where you meet other friendly people and do a few things outside of the tourist box.

On our second day Trevor and Tracy took us on their long boat to their favourite islands and snorkelling spots and we had an amazing day. I will never forget the squeals of delight as my daughters hand-fed tropical fish from the boat, and seeing my daughters dive some 15 feet down to touch giant clams. Trevor even took my eldest for another dive when i had had enough and on the trip back to shore Tracy cuddled one of my girls just as any Aunty would - they are both wonderful hosts.

Aitutaki lagoon is amazing and well worth a few days, but if you want a bit more of a personal experience where you might make a few friends along the way and have a few laughs as well, then i would recommend Matriki. I doubt any of the luxury resorts on the island let you make a bonfire on the beach to roast marshmallows or have a pot-luck bbq where you meet and share stories with other guests from around the world...

On top of all this Matriki is incredibly good value. It is cheaper accommodation and not a luxury resort, you have your own shower but there are communal toilets, and you don't have TVs and a pool bar. However you do have some amazing experiences with incredible hosts, and it also means you have more budget leftover to spend on activities out on the lagoon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family