“The Best Family Holiday - Ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Matriki Beach Huts

Matriki Beach Huts
Taupo, New Zealand
“The Best Family Holiday - Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Thank you so much for such an amazing holiday. We had three nights at Matriki and we wish we could have stayed so much longer! Tracey and Trevor made us all so welcome, from buying marshmallows for the kids bonfire to happily including strangers to their pot luck dinner. We all loved staying in the tree hut, which was a cosy comfortable house for the 5 of us. Dad and the girls had a fantastic time paddling around in the vaka, and Tracey was so incredibly patient with our 3 busy social girls.

The ‘bring a plate, everyone welcome’ dinner was so much fun, and a great way to get to know other guests. You really can’t beat dining on a beach in one of the most beautiful settings in the world! And going next door for the dancing was awesome, the girls will forever remember that night.

We also had a great day out in the long-boat. The snorkelling spots were fantastic, especially the ‘giant swimming pool’ where the girls could play with the Giant Trevally and explore the coral safely. Feeding the butterfly fish was also a highlight, and the yummy lunch (Trevor makes the best Pita bread pockets). Again, thank you for being so patient with our girls, and for helping Zoe ‘dive deep’ to see the giant clams! The photos we have from that trip are among our favourites of our three months in the Cooks.

By the time we left Matriki we felt like we were family, and we were all sad to leave. What an amazing place to holiday, escape and live. We hope you continue to enjoy your time in Aitutaki Tracey and Trevor, and we really hope that you will be there when we come back next year.

Meitaki maata, thank you so very much.

Ella, Charlotte, Zoe, Mum (Erin) and Dad.

P.S. The reason we took so long to write this review is because we are still in denial that our time in the Cook Islands is over!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Hi
Thanks for your feedback and posting.
We also need to thank you, for sharing your beautiful family with us, and Dad's ghost stories around the bonfire, perfectly cooked marshmallows and the 3 beautiful girls.
I know it sounds funny but we felt as though you were family from the moment we meet you.
We still rave on about the girls and all their deeds, such gusto and pure joy it is so good to see what a wonderful job you are doing bring them up in the world.
The girls made great friends with both of us and of course Ted.. Yes the pot luck dinners are pretty special and it gives guests a chance to meet others who they would normally not know and learn and swap stories, the sort of interaction you don't get many places these days.
We are so glad you visited and I know we will be in contact for years to come, we have to know what those special 3 get up to.
Much appreciated and we hope all the best for you in the year ahead

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Hannover, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

If you wanna have the perfect dreamy paradise holiday with a big portion of kiwi humour and the perfect amount of insider tips, then you have to stay at Matriki Beach Huts! The location is breathtaking, the water with the best coral reefs right in front of your door and the huts with outdoor shower just too cute. You have everything you need (comfortable bed + mosquito net, little kitchen and a patio) and if not Tracey and Trevor are always there to answer questions, help out or just to get some more beer, which is really important. The boat trips out to the lagoon are just amazing and both of them know the best spots to see all kind of fishes and surprise with an extraordinary lunch with the perfect view!
So if you wanna stay with relaxed people, enjoy the easy way of life and experience the kindness of our hosts T+T you have to stay at Matrikis! Always would go back, even to get another taste of Trevor's sarcasm with his cheeky smile and to cuddle one of their cute cats.
Best holiday I've ever had in my lifetime and I'll be back, thats for sure!

Room Tip: I would recommand every room they have.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for your review.
We are so glad you stayed with us on your way back home from NZ, and got to experience a little bit of time in Paradise.
It was a lot of fun having you youngsters stay, it was a pleasure to look after you and we have very fond memories of your stay. We often look at the pics on facebook and re-live.
Well we always trying to improve the experience for our guests and are always maintaining and upgrading at every opportunity. We are also glad you enjoyed the vibe of the place it really is a super friendly atmosphere. Thanks again for posting and we hope to see you again one day soon.
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Matriki Beach Huts are right on the beach, with the best snorkelling on the island directly out front. Kettles, toasters, a portable stove top, BBQ and cooking utensils are provided so you can cook your own food or go to one of the restaurants Tracey and Trevor suggest - their recommendations were always spot on.

We had a potluck dinner on the beach organised by Tracey and Trevor which was lots of fun and was a great way to meet and share stories or tips with other travellers. Trevor being an ex-chef made a scrumptious main out of the limited range of food items available on the island.

Tracey and Trevor were happy to share their knowledge about coconuts, breadfruit and other things specific to the islands. We learnt how to husk and prepare coconuts and even got to try the marshmallowy insides of a sprouted coconut.

We have raved about our holiday and mum is now booked in to go and stay at Matriki Beach Huts herself. If you want all the trimmings and trappings of a hotel suite this place probably isn't for you. But if you are after warm hosts, and a bit of island character you can't beat Matriki Beach Huts.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Trevor-Tracey, Owner at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Hi
Thanks for the review, it is always good to get some positive feedback.
We always try to create a warm friendly vibe, and any tips etc we pass on are because we want people to experience the best the island has to offer. No matter who provides the service as long as it is good. It is great to take a coconut school and share all the secrets that living in a remote island requires. We try to provide a really cool safe place so that our guests can get out and experience the magic of this wonderful island as that is what makes a great holiday. Your parents were here this week, they only stayed briefly but it awesome that you recommended us. Thanks again for your feedback
Tracey and Trevor
Mahurangi West, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Immaculately clean and affordable beach huts on a gob-smackingly beautiful beach / tropical island. The beach huts have everything you need.

Tracey & Trevor are such fun, down-to-earth hosts and really made our holiday. You simply wouldn't get this experience by staying in a self contained unit or resort. Embrace all their tips on what to do - we love having the local knowledge when we visit a place.

Lastly, the marine life on Aitutaki is insane, we highly recommend going on their boat trips to see for yourself.

Room Tip: All the beach huts are great.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah M
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hi thanks for your review.
Thats the heading we like to see. one of our best holidays ever wow
We love it when guests come with a sense of adventure, and you guys had an adventure every day you were here, in your case even before you left NZ lol. Your enthusiasm for everything was infectious. What a great way to have a holiday, The advice we give was an effort to make your holiday the best we could, we love sharing this magical place with you. Tracey and I just wish that you could have stayed longer... we have this feeling that we will see you again before too long though, there are still a lot of places we need to share with you and fish to swim with. Keep in touch
TNT
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Matriki is on the best beach with good snorkeling and swimming right out front and amazing sunsets. Matriki's beach is very well maintained and comfortable with picnic tables, lounge chairs and shade trees in the sand. The accommodations are clean, comfortable, unique and charming. We stayed in the upper and lower treehouse, we loved the decks and views and slept like babies each night listening to the gentle lagoon waves. The lower treehouse had an attached private shower that was clean and worked good as were the community bathrooms a short walk away. It's not a 5 star resort or a generic box room accommodation that could be anywhere in the world, that's why we stayed there!
We stayed with our 2 children, ages 5 and 10 and we all thoroughly enjoyed our time there. We were instantly made to feel welcome and part of the Matriki family. The Wednesday potluck dinner and bonfire on the beach were awesome and a fun way way to share experiences with people from all over the world. Trevor and Tracey's lagoon snorkeling tour and lunch were the highlight of our entire trip in the Cook Islands and a bargain for how much time, effort, scenery, great lunch, etc they put into it! It felt like a personal tour with friends. Tracey and Trevor were awesome hosts, from setting up a Coconut class for our kids, finding kid and adult friendly snorkeling spots, giving my wife and I a date night, the list goes on. Places like Matriki that provide one-of-a-kind memories are why we travel. For those that want standard hotel amenities without a lot of character, there are a couple down the beach. For those that want a unique, fun, and memorable experience with unbeatable hosts Matriki is for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SanDiegosurffam
Hi we like to respond to all reviews, and it is a great way to get feedback on the things we having been putting in place here at Matriki.
Firstly I must say that all the hard work and effort is worthwhile when we get travelers like you. People who have travelled a lot, who want something out of the ordinary, looking for an adventure and have done some research, come prepared but most of all have a super positive attitude.
To do this with two small children, you have our total respect and admiration. We like to treat children as small adults, so it was a great pleasure to share time with all of you, and have fond memories of watching "Finding Nemo", it was great to feel the trust you had in us, and I am sure the date night dinner at Tepunas was fabulous. I think also that doing our intimate snorkel tours enables us to cater for the individuals so the day is how you want it which is so much better. Those Pot Luck Dinners and bonfires are really good, and does give you a chance to bond with us and all the other guests and enables us to be ourselves not managers.
I was so glad to read this review and it has given Tracey and I the inspiration to keep striving to give people the best holiday we can.
TNT and Ted
Manly, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

This review is a mixture of a lot of big praise and a little bit of warning.

First of all, Matriki is awesome. In my opinion, it's the most perfect location on the island with the nicest beach. The snorkeling just in front is great, with a healthy, living coral reef, and there are nearby options for great food (Puffy's and Uncle Bino's are awesome!). The huts are simple, clean, and comfortable, and the atmosphere is unbeatable. From my bed in the tree house or from the balcony out in front, I could enjoy a book while sneaking glances at the beautiful blue water just in front and listening to the gentle waves lap at the soft (and well-maintained by Trevor) sand. Trevor and Tracey make sure that everything is taken care of for a relaxed, unforgettable stay.

Now the warning: ask what things cost. The only thing that put me off a bit was that no prices were advertised, spoken, or otherwise communicated until it was time to check out and pay. Admittedly, this was very much my fault in part; I could have easily asked. Some examples:

- On arrival, we were shown two very old scooters and were told, "feel free to take one," as if they were some old bikes that were just laying around not being used and so were being offered as a perk of staying at Matriki. I couldn't believe the hospitality! I thought to myself, "Wow, how nice, I'll have to be sure to offer a few bucks for petrol." Don't get me wrong, I expect to pay for things, but these scooters were not even close to the standard I'd expect of a scooter for hire. The electric starter was broken on both, so they had to be kick-started, and they felt unreliable. Before knowing there was a normal rental charge for them, I thought it was a fun experience dealing with the old things, a "real island experience" sort of thing. The first scooter broke down on us within an hour and within probably 5km of driving. We had stopped and started it twice to get breakfast and to check out a beach, but on the third try, it just wouldn't start. Trevor had warned me that if I couldn't kick-start it, to ask a local, so after finally admitting defeat, I asked a local for help. Several locals tried and tried but couldn't get it started. To give you an idea of the state of the bike, all the locals were joking about it, asking "oh, you got a new bike?" and then laughing, and one suggested that we burn it. The last guy to try fiddled with it quite a bit and must have turned off the fuel in the process. This was later diagnosed as the cause, but it most definitely wasn't what caused the bike to not start for the first 30 minutes of my and others' attempts.

On the bright side, Trevor was there to pick us up within 5 minutes of a quick phone call, and we were promptly whisked back to Matriki to enjoy the rest of the day at the beach in paradise. We immediately took the other scooter a couple kms down the road for groceries, and then a kms down the road again for dinner on our last night. On check out, we were charged for a day and a half of scooter hire, which caught me by surprise. After pointing out that being charged for a scooter that broke on us wasn't really kosher, Tracey took the charge off our bill.

- The boat trip to Honeymoon Island and One Foot Island, with lunch and lots of snorkeling in between were awesome! It was not cheap though. It cost about 50-100% more than what I would have expected based on prices I saw on Rarotonga for similar lagoon cruises with lunch, snorkeling, tours, entertainment, etc. Again, my fault for not asking. To be honest, though, this was the best part of the whole trip! I've never seen water the kinds of blue colors that I saw out on the boat that day, the lunch was wonderful, and the snorkeling was fun. And, hey, who doesn't like being out on a boat on a beautiful, sunny day? If I were to go back, I would happily pay to do it again, I just would have liked to know the cost beforehand. We had our own snorkel gear, so I don't know the cost of the gear provided for those those who didn't, but again, just ask.

I don't want this review to put anyone off; on the contrary, I highly recommend that travelers to Aitutaki looking for clean, comfortable, budget-friendly accommodation in paradise stay at Matriki! Just know what things cost so you can decide how you want to spend your money! And if you want to hire a scooter to get around, maybe check down the road ;)

Room Tip: We stayed in the lower tree house and loved it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Justin B
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Hi and thanks for the review.
Most relaxed, beautiful, awesome place to stay on the island….. what a great heading.
Five stars for Value, Location, Sleep Quality, Rooms, Cleanliness, Service. Well you can’t get any better can you.
Trevor and Tracey make sure that everything is taken care of for a relaxed, unforgettable stay.....
Well we certainly try to make sure everyone feels special here.
We are very grateful for your review and are happy you enjoyed your time here at Matriki.

Normally that would be my reply, just let that one go through to the keeper.
But I think I owe it to ourselves, to other operators and to future guests to add a few things.

Firstly on the snorkel tour, here is a breakdown on what has and does go into a snorkel trip. Apart from obviously transporting a boat and outboard to the most remote island in the world which is a very expensive outlay. Then factor in insurance, registration and maintenance of the boat and 4WD.Then there is fuel which on a remote island is close to $3 a litre. We then have to have the experience to navigate around a myriad of coral reefs and know where all the good spots are, which ones are best depending on tides and weather conditions. We have to utilize our years of experience in the ocean.
The day prior to the trip we visit 4 local farmers and purchase whatever fresh produce is available. The night before I cook and prepare the food for the next day, usually about 3 hours. I then awake early the next day about 6am and make fresh bread.
I then load the boat with equipment and lunch before making sure that all the guest have the right snorkel gear, sunscreen, hats etc. We are out on the water for usually 6 hours. Tracey is on hand to be in the water and make sure everyone is safe and well, I generally stay on the boat for safety reasons, emergencies, to allow snorkelers to drift and pick up rather than swim back against the current. Our main aim is to spend as much time in the water as possible. Then we organise lunch and make sure everyone is looked after. We then transfer guests back to Matriki, empty the boat of items, rinse out engine doing any repairs, rinse and clean all the snorkel gear. Then we do all the dishes and hopefully finish about 7 pm. If we have another trip the next day we start the whole process again. So for Tracey and I personally a trip takes up about 12 hrs of our time.
This is what you get for $85 NZ or in your case $70 Aus. We are a small operator only usually taking less than 8 people out on the boat, so its intimate and it is your day not ours. I think last time I was in Sydney it cost me more than that to get a taxi from the airport to the city. I used to work in web design as well and would easily charge a client $70 to alter a link on a page (2 minutes work) Comparisons don’t work, you can’t compare. We are not in Raro we have 1/1000 of their visitors. Our fee is the cheapest of any operators here on Aitutaki. Value for money, absolutely the best money you can possibly spend. Importantly you should not judge your trips on cost but on the experience. We can earn substantially more at home, money is not our motivation.
Secondly,the scooter. Wow 21 lines for something you didn’t even pay for. I admit that we do go all out and are overzealous with our hospitality, but free motor scooters and petrol on the remotest place in the world, remember petrol is $3 a litre. Seriously you thought they were free. There is a list on the back door of every hut that has prices on it. We do try to stay away from big obtrusive signs with dollar values as it doesn’t real fit in here in paradise or with our philosophy. Money is one of the furthest things from our minds when dealing with guests. The scooters has been used by hundreds of guests, no issues, yes you do have to lift your leg to start them, yes turning the fuel off does stop them starting. Once again you are in a remote location, almost nothing is new and shiny and if it is it cost a fortune. I know we all want to get 5 star and pay for budget but really!!
I think everyone, even yourselves would agree we are the most approachable of people, open 24 / 7 friendly, helpful, nothing is too much trouble, so if you had any questions it would have been super easy to have asked us, not written about it from a few thousand miles away after the fact.
I hope this gives you a brief glimpse into how much effort goes into making your stay memorable, how wonderful this place is, that you got to experience this without any of the hardships that we locals have to deal with every day.
Uetendorf, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

... honestly! If you'd rather spent your money for activities like snorkelling etc. than on accomodation, but you still want a decent resort, this is your catch: Immaculate clean and comfy beach huts with kitchen and private shower only 10 meters from the sea. The beach is the cleanest on the island, with a hammock, picknick tables, sunchairs and floaties for free use.
Plus the managers Tracey and Trevor with Ted work the magic: it's like your happiness is their only concern! Join their lagoon cruises to discover an incredible underwaterworld beyond imagination and enjoy the yummy lunch on a picturesque tropical island.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong here... Every hut is amazing!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jubi S
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Kia Orana
Thanks for the review, it is great when our work and effort to create this environment here at Matriki is met with such enthusiasm.
We do seem to be attracting interesting travelers who want to experience a remote tropical paradise, with lots of ocean activity. Something that can't be had at other places.
We encourage people to stay cheaply and use those savings to experience, to get involved in real cool interesting things, to venture out on the lagoon, the outer reef etc and take with them memories that will last a lifetime.
So come and enjoy great hospitality, clean rooms, right on the best beach, for a fraction of the price of the others.