“Same planet, a better world- Tripadvisor, we need more than 5 stars here!”
Review of Matriki Beach Huts

and 1 more site!
Matriki Beach Huts
Uetendorf
“Same planet, a better world- Tripadvisor, we need more than 5 stars here!”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Every single detail of this wonderful place is taken care of: The lovely huts are quite basic, but spotlessly clean, with a kitchenette and private open-air shower. Even cold drinking water awaits you (plus there's free filtered drinking water available any time). The soft sand of the beach - 10 meters from your hut! - is cleaned every morning. Snorkel from one meter off the beach or relax in a floatie, in the hammock or a sun chair on the beach.
If you wish, join the fun pot-luck dinners on the beach once a week (stunning sun-sets included) followed by cosy chatting and singing around the fire.
Lagoon cruises for snorkelling & islands visits are FANTASTIC - we've been 10 times within our 15 days stay: extremely friendly and warm atmosphere, great lunch and incredible snorkelling.
Best part of all: the hosts Tracey and Trevor... They're just the most georgeous people you could stay with, always concerned with how to make your stay even more enjoyable. They go the extra 1000 miles! Thank you guys - never has the saying "come as guests, leave as friends" been more true... You're friends for life for us and we defenitely hope to come back one day!
Ps: owners have changed recently - anything in Tripadvisor older than February 2013 does not aply anymore.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Schreeeeenz
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
We like to respond to all reviews as operators of Matriki
Tracey and I would like to thank you for your feedback.
You guys had such a great time here and we enjoyed having you stay, you were like our good luck charm. We had such fabulous weather and some of the best snorkeling days of the year due to the calm winds and incredibly clear water both in the Lagoon and on the Outer Reef. You were here for our biggest Pot Luck Dinner and when ever the boat went out you were always on board and first in the water and last out. To have such guests as yourselves makes it a pleasure to run a place like this. To get a farewell cake made and then to send a care parcel from Raro were so unexpected but so appreciated. We sure hope to see you again soon oh and Ted misses you big time.
T N T N T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We are a couple from Sweden/New Zealand living in London. Went to Aitutaki for Two weeks and stayed at the cosy Matriki beach Huts. Pick up service from the airport and was amazed by the views from the new beach hut we stayed in. Complete with its own shower with a view and kitchenette. Mathias offered a wide rage of activities including deep sea fishing, snorkelling and an amazing Lagoon tour and we tried them all. We also hired a scooter for the duration of our trip and highly recommended to get around the island. He has also got bicycles for those who like a slower pace. Snorkling in front of the accomodation was some of best on the Island and sunsets were enjoyed after using the communal BBQ down the beach.
Excellent value for money.

Also to recommend on the island is to visit the native clam regeneration program by the airport. The work they are doing is amazing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flomenator
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
We like to respond to all reviews as Operators of Matriki
Thank you for your feedback and we are so happy you ventured to Aitutaki and experienced the magic of the place and the beauty of simple living at Matriki.
We would also like to recommend the Marine Research Centre and encourage all our guests to visit and learn more about our marine environment here.
The scooters are a great way to see the place and at $25 good for the pocket and the environment.
Thanks so much for the feedback
Tracey and Trevor
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I arrived in Aitutaki somewhat knowing that we would find ourselves in paradise. Little that we knew Matriki Beach Huts and their hosts T&T (Tracey and Trevor) would contribute so much to that feeling. Among so many more accommodations to choose from, Matriki is truly the place to stay if you are an adventurous traveller. Nothing can replace the amazing feeling when you wake up in the morning, step out of your hut and sink your feet in the whitest sand ever, just to walk a few steps and have the most turquoise water right in front of you! Morning swims are the best. The view of the lagoon is spectacular and Matriki definitely has the best snorkeling on the island within the reach! T&T offered organized trips to One Foot Island and Honeymoon Island with a homemade lunch and stopovers for snorkeling. They would educate you on the local life, customs just so you can feel more at home. Truly amazing. Thanks to staying at Matriki we met other travelers, exchanged pictures, stories and just simply mingled over pot luck dinners every Wednesday night and bonfires. You can't have this experience at a major resort or a hotel. Matriki rocks :-)!!!!
Tracy and Trevor - thank you so much for such memorable vacation. We will be back...

• Stayed February 2013
We like to respond to all reviews as the new operators of Matriki.
Thank you very much for your review, it is great to get feedback from guests.
Tracey and I have put in a lot of work into the place and it is great that the guests really appreciate the time and energy we put into making everyone's holiday as good an experience as possible. The pot luck dinners are a great way for guests to interact and find some common ground, it also so much better sharing the table and food with others (14 people is our new record) especially if you have been traveling for awhile. Oh yes the beach bonfire is good too.
The lunches we provide on the boat trips are sourced from the local organic farms and only contain fresh ingredients, and home made pita bread. It certainly makes a difference.
The snorkel tours are small intimate groups usually only guests, and our aim is to spend as much time as possible IN THE WATER.
We like to go to One Foot Island on Sunday's as it is usually completely empty of people on this day. We do so hope that we will soon get return guests to this far flung wildly remote piece of the Pacific.
Trevor and Tracey
downtown Victoria, Vancouver Island
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Ever since I first saw a picture of a tropical island when I was just wee, have I wanted to go and see for myself. That chance now came up and what a lucky bugger I was to end up at Matriki. There is a magic around this place that imho originates only in part from the stunning vista of the lagoon in front of the huts, but more prominently results from the genuine hospitality of the folks running the place, Tracey and Trevor. For someone like myself who much rather spends his pennies on learning about local scenery, food, customs, activities and the like, this would be the place to be. The boating and snorkelling trips are amazing, because you are taken to hand-picked spots out in the lagoon, spend time on Honeymoon or One Foot Island, eat home-made food, learn about the special scenery, and most importantly for me at least, get to know and enjoy the company of other like-minded gusts who become fast friends after a day out on the lagoon. However, if you are looking for hotel-style accommodation,i.e. deck chairs around the pool, impressive curving driveways up to the entrance with the glass sliding doors and a host of smiling ladies with flowers in their hair offering drinks even before you had a chance to unpack your bags, a place like the Pacific Resort might be more your cup of tea. The trade-off, and there always is one, would be a feeling of being left alone in your personal island paradise with no one to shoot the breeze with, no trading of stories, and certainly no personal screening of the "beached-as" whale video that I liked so much.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank artesius
We like to respond to all reviews on Trip Advisor as we feel this is a good place for guests to provide feedback and let us know exactly how they feel about us as a holiday destination.
It is good that we have a certain pattern emerging, lots of positive reviews, we seem to be attracting the right like minded people to Matriki. We really cater for people like yourself who want basic accommodation, clean tidy and friendly, so that you can spend your days doing all the fun tours and delving deep into the Cook Islands lifestyle. People wanting an adventure, something different, completely different to their home, this is the reason people travel to remote places so they can interact with nature and with the local culture. It is not where you stay but who you stay with that leaves the biggest impression. We are not a swanky resort and are quite proud of that, so we get the real travellers, who bring so much experience with them and leave brightening our lives just as much as we brighten theirs. To be around like minded people being able to swap stories and experiences, being able to past on or receive real time knowledge of soon to be visited places is all part of it. I am so glad you came and joined us and spent some time with Tracey and I. The tree nicest Germans I have ever met sitting under an umbrella on Honeymoon was my personal highlight. "Cheers Bro but I only eat plankton"
T N T.
Walla Walla, Washington
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This place is for seasoned backpackers and people who are self starters. Do your research and you will love this place. There are a lot of glowing reviews here which glorify this place a little to much. The beauty is the beach, lagoon, outer lagoon and islands.... The facility is very rustic and just a place to crash. The negative reviews have as many truths here as the positive reviews. The current owner and manager is not as clean and tidy as the Canadians who ran this place a few years ago so I believe the cleanliness has taken a turn... But again, you are sleeping in open air beach huts with a small propane cook top and water that runs when it wants to. This is high end camping. The location is stunningly beautiful. Chill out and have fun... I stayed 11 days, but 3-5 nights would have been better.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Curt E
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
We like to respond to all reviews in our role as the new managers of Matriki Beach Huts even though you visited 12 months ago.
A lot has changed for the better in the year since you were here.
We have taken note of all previous reviews and implemented changes to improve the overall guest experience at Matriki. Since taking over in Jan 2013 we have made significant changes to rooms, the property, boat trips and have received very good reviews.
As the name suggests we are not 5 star with air con and tiled bathrooms and we would never want to claim to be any more than we are.
Matriki is a budget, friendly, super clean and fun place to stay for people to stay who want to spend their money on activities (sailing, snorkel, scuba, fishing) not hundreds of dollars on just a resort room. The atmosphere at Matriki is what makes this place, the intimate nature of the place (5 rooms) so you get to know everyone, friendly helpful staff, pot luck dinners, the best cruise around and fun adventurous travellers who gather to watch the sunset and swap stories.
We do agree Matriki is situated on the best beach, with the perfect setting right amongst the 5 star places and yes you should budget for and get out onto the lagoon as often as possible as the lagoon is what is special about Aitutaki. We run trips to one foot island and to all the best lagoon snorkel spots, when the weather is good we also run trips to the outer reef.
Matriki is here to make sure that everyone can afford to do all those trips, stay in the best spot and not break the bank.
Trevor and Tracey
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I'm a Canadian and hope they still take Canadian's after my visit.(They adore us Canadians) I was in heaven in my beach hut looking at the sea every moment of the day. Simple accomodations for a simple life style. No other place on the island would have people getting to know one another like this place did. They did the trips out to islands for snorkling and they were great fun. Snokling right out front is one of the best I've had the pleasure of. I've travelled a lot and was at home here. I even cried when I had to leave. Stimulating times in the water, snokling till the sun goes down. Wow....did I just say wow....I mean WOWEEEEEEEE. Totally recommending this place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Hi Donna
Thank you for your feedback and review of our little establishment in Aitutaki.
We have really tried to get a really good bond going between fellow guests (yes we do love Canadians) so good to know that it is working well. We really enjoy taking guest's out on boat trips as it shows Aitutaki off to its full potential and we love people getting to do all the best things whilst they are here. That is what adventure holidays are all about, so hopefully we will see you back at Matriki Adventure next winter..... you know when it's minus 30 and your frozen to the bone. It was a pleasure to have you here and Tracey and I enjoyed your company and the times we had together.
T&T
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed March 13, 2013

It was probably not the smartest thing to do but I arrived in Aitutaki with no bookings. Straight away the friendliness of the locals came to the fore and one of the airport workers rang Ben at Paradise Cove who came and picked me up. His place does not have budget accommodation any more but he offered to take me around to see what was on offer and did not want payment.

We only got as far as next door where I discovered Matriki. It was just so full of character, almost like a movie set for a South Seas fantasy with the backdrop of the limpid lagoon fringed by white beach on the near side and white surf far out on the reef side. Nothing could be that luminous, it must have been digitally enhanced! The view from the tree house room on top was seen through a lattice of palm fronds. Why would you look any further? It's an adventure at very affordable cost but safe, clean, well ventilated and screened against mosquitos. There was a mosquito net but the external screens worked well so I didn't use it at all.

Tracey and Trevor are probably the nicest people to run a place like this. Their motivation is to share their good fortune with others. Trevor shared up a tuna which was freshly caught; I had my portion for breakfast. It was my good fortune to go with them on a lagoon excursion where the vast expanse of clear clean water was like a playground for our exclusive use. They took me to three snorkeling sites which, without spoiling the surprises, are world class. We had the lunch they provided - 100% delicious - on Honeymoon Island where frigate birds with their long red tail feathers were roosting and young coconut crabs were scurrying about in their borrowed shells. T&T have a good understanding of the creatures you will meet in your time on the lagoon so you get a lot out of your excursion besides the downright fun and pleasure it gives you.

I have to tell you something: probably the only way you would get your wallet stolen on Aitutaki is if a coconut crab took it. But because the rest of the world is not like Aitutaki, I have a careful routine when I go to bed which includes tucking it under the pillow or maybe down in the bed out of sight. I also have a careful routine of turning back the pillow and sheet to check if I have everything but because I had a double bed, the wallet had gone in under and I left without it. Tracey and Trevor were on my case straight away and got it back to me in Raro same day. Not only are they natural managers and relate well with their guests, they are honest, good hearted, good people.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Hi Will
Thank you for the feedback. It was a pleasure having you stay with us.
I think you summed it up best when you said we like to share our good fortune.
Even if it is freshly caught yellow fin tuna or swimming with the big fish.
Aitutaki is such a wonderful place and we like our guest to see it at its finest and we are blessed to be staying here and running Matriki.
The boat trips and snorkel spots are as you say world class and I am glad you recommend them to everyone. When you visit Aitutaki you must go out on the Lagoon, it is simply breathtakingly beautiful, so budget for as many trips as you can.
Tracey and I would just like to wish you good luck with the rest of your world trip and come back and visit us anytime.
Cheers Trevor and Tracey T&T