“The Southern Hemisphere's best kept secret”
Review of Matriki Beach Huts

and 1 more site!
Matriki Beach Huts
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Ever since I first saw a picture of a tropical island when I was just wee, have I wanted to go and see for myself. That chance now came up and what a lucky bugger I was to end up at Matriki. There is a magic around this place that imho originates only in part from the stunning vista of the lagoon in front of the huts, but more prominently results from the genuine hospitality of the folks running the place, Tracey and Trevor. For someone like myself who much rather spends his pennies on learning about local scenery, food, customs, activities and the like, this would be the place to be. The boating and snorkelling trips are amazing, because you are taken to hand-picked spots out in the lagoon, spend time on Honeymoon or One Foot Island, eat home-made food, learn about the special scenery, and most importantly for me at least, get to know and enjoy the company of other like-minded gusts who become fast friends after a day out on the lagoon. However, if you are looking for hotel-style accommodation,i.e. deck chairs around the pool, impressive curving driveways up to the entrance with the glass sliding doors and a host of smiling ladies with flowers in their hair offering drinks even before you had a chance to unpack your bags, a place like the Pacific Resort might be more your cup of tea. The trade-off, and there always is one, would be a feeling of being left alone in your personal island paradise with no one to shoot the breeze with, no trading of stories, and certainly no personal screening of the "beached-as" whale video that I liked so much.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank artesius
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

We like to respond to all reviews on Trip Advisor as we feel this is a good place for guests to provide feedback and let us know exactly how they feel about us as a holiday destination.
It is good that we have a certain pattern emerging, lots of positive reviews, we seem to be attracting the right like minded people to Matriki. We really cater for people like yourself who want basic accommodation, clean tidy and friendly, so that you can spend your days doing all the fun tours and delving deep into the Cook Islands lifestyle. People wanting an adventure, something different, completely different to their home, this is the reason people travel to remote places so they can interact with nature and with the local culture. It is not where you stay but who you stay with that leaves the biggest impression. We are not a swanky resort and are quite proud of that, so we get the real travellers, who bring so much experience with them and leave brightening our lives just as much as we brighten theirs. To be around like minded people being able to swap stories and experiences, being able to past on or receive real time knowledge of soon to be visited places is all part of it. I am so glad you came and joined us and spent some time with Tracey and I. The tree nicest Germans I have ever met sitting under an umbrella on Honeymoon was my personal highlight. "Cheers Bro but I only eat plankton"
T N T.

There are newer reviews for Matriki Beach Huts

Reviewed April 5, 2013

This place is for seasoned backpackers and people who are self starters. Do your research and you will love this place. There are a lot of glowing reviews here which glorify this place a little to much. The beauty is the beach, lagoon, outer lagoon and islands.... The facility is very rustic and just a place to crash. The negative reviews have as many truths here as the positive reviews. The current owner and manager is not as clean and tidy as the Canadians who ran this place a few years ago so I believe the cleanliness has taken a turn... But again, you are sleeping in open air beach huts with a small propane cook top and water that runs when it wants to. This is high end camping. The location is stunningly beautiful. Chill out and have fun... I stayed 11 days, but 3-5 nights would have been better.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Curt E
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

We like to respond to all reviews in our role as the new managers of Matriki Beach Huts even though you visited 12 months ago.
A lot has changed for the better in the year since you were here.
We have taken note of all previous reviews and implemented changes to improve the overall guest experience at Matriki. Since taking over in Jan 2013 we have made significant changes to rooms, the property, boat trips and have received very good reviews.
As the name suggests we are not 5 star with air con and tiled bathrooms and we would never want to claim to be any more than we are.
Matriki is a budget, friendly, super clean and fun place to stay for people to stay who want to spend their money on activities (sailing, snorkel, scuba, fishing) not hundreds of dollars on just a resort room. The atmosphere at Matriki is what makes this place, the intimate nature of the place (5 rooms) so you get to know everyone, friendly helpful staff, pot luck dinners, the best cruise around and fun adventurous travellers who gather to watch the sunset and swap stories.
We do agree Matriki is situated on the best beach, with the perfect setting right amongst the 5 star places and yes you should budget for and get out onto the lagoon as often as possible as the lagoon is what is special about Aitutaki. We run trips to one foot island and to all the best lagoon snorkel spots, when the weather is good we also run trips to the outer reef.
Matriki is here to make sure that everyone can afford to do all those trips, stay in the best spot and not break the bank.
Trevor and Tracey

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I'm a Canadian and hope they still take Canadian's after my visit.(They adore us Canadians) I was in heaven in my beach hut looking at the sea every moment of the day. Simple accomodations for a simple life style. No other place on the island would have people getting to know one another like this place did. They did the trips out to islands for snorkling and they were great fun. Snokling right out front is one of the best I've had the pleasure of. I've travelled a lot and was at home here. I even cried when I had to leave. Stimulating times in the water, snokling till the sun goes down. Wow....did I just say wow....I mean WOWEEEEEEEE. Totally recommending this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Hi Donna
Thank you for your feedback and review of our little establishment in Aitutaki.
We have really tried to get a really good bond going between fellow guests (yes we do love Canadians) so good to know that it is working well. We really enjoy taking guest's out on boat trips as it shows Aitutaki off to its full potential and we love people getting to do all the best things whilst they are here. That is what adventure holidays are all about, so hopefully we will see you back at Matriki Adventure next winter..... you know when it's minus 30 and your frozen to the bone. It was a pleasure to have you here and Tracey and I enjoyed your company and the times we had together.
T&T

Reviewed March 13, 2013

It was probably not the smartest thing to do but I arrived in Aitutaki with no bookings. Straight away the friendliness of the locals came to the fore and one of the airport workers rang Ben at Paradise Cove who came and picked me up. His place does not have budget accommodation any more but he offered to take me around to see what was on offer and did not want payment.

We only got as far as next door where I discovered Matriki. It was just so full of character, almost like a movie set for a South Seas fantasy with the backdrop of the limpid lagoon fringed by white beach on the near side and white surf far out on the reef side. Nothing could be that luminous, it must have been digitally enhanced! The view from the tree house room on top was seen through a lattice of palm fronds. Why would you look any further? It's an adventure at very affordable cost but safe, clean, well ventilated and screened against mosquitos. There was a mosquito net but the external screens worked well so I didn't use it at all.

Tracey and Trevor are probably the nicest people to run a place like this. Their motivation is to share their good fortune with others. Trevor shared up a tuna which was freshly caught; I had my portion for breakfast. It was my good fortune to go with them on a lagoon excursion where the vast expanse of clear clean water was like a playground for our exclusive use. They took me to three snorkeling sites which, without spoiling the surprises, are world class. We had the lunch they provided - 100% delicious - on Honeymoon Island where frigate birds with their long red tail feathers were roosting and young coconut crabs were scurrying about in their borrowed shells. T&T have a good understanding of the creatures you will meet in your time on the lagoon so you get a lot out of your excursion besides the downright fun and pleasure it gives you.

I have to tell you something: probably the only way you would get your wallet stolen on Aitutaki is if a coconut crab took it. But because the rest of the world is not like Aitutaki, I have a careful routine when I go to bed which includes tucking it under the pillow or maybe down in the bed out of sight. I also have a careful routine of turning back the pillow and sheet to check if I have everything but because I had a double bed, the wallet had gone in under and I left without it. Tracey and Trevor were on my case straight away and got it back to me in Raro same day. Not only are they natural managers and relate well with their guests, they are honest, good hearted, good people.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Hi Will
Thank you for the feedback. It was a pleasure having you stay with us.
I think you summed it up best when you said we like to share our good fortune.
Even if it is freshly caught yellow fin tuna or swimming with the big fish.
Aitutaki is such a wonderful place and we like our guest to see it at its finest and we are blessed to be staying here and running Matriki.
The boat trips and snorkel spots are as you say world class and I am glad you recommend them to everyone. When you visit Aitutaki you must go out on the Lagoon, it is simply breathtakingly beautiful, so budget for as many trips as you can.
Tracey and I would just like to wish you good luck with the rest of your world trip and come back and visit us anytime.
Cheers Trevor and Tracey T&T

Reviewed March 2, 2013

A stunning location for this well run, exceedingly friendly beach hut type of accommodation.
It is very budget orientated,and provides wonderful vistas, with the best sunsets, stunning beach and awesome snorkeling right at your door! Trevor and Tracy who run the place right now are ever so friendly, helpful, as well as, running great lagoon tours! Good supply of bikes and scooters for use, plus the BBQ on the beach for general use was a huge hit.
Pot luck dinners with new friends...amazing!
The upstairs unit the best!
The grounds were always in perfect shape, raked and cleaned daily, with great gardens, fresh coconuts and herbs.

Room Tip: I loved the upper location...great view and more of a breeze.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Hi David
Thanks a lot for your comments and feedback.
Having taken over Matriki only recently it is great to see some very positive reviews now appearing.
We really enjoyed having you stay, you were a lots of fun.
Some of your ideas "Pot Luck Dinners" were such a success I am going to claim them as my own.
Keep in touch Dave and you know you are always welcome back.
T & T

Reviewed February 23, 2013

This place is only fit for a group of backpackers if they are desperate, I do not believe the good reviews are real people. The place is very dirty full of bugs, the shower is a hose the walls are paper thin. There are much better places on the island at not much more money, stay clear!!!!
One of his huts burnt down and he tried to charge the two guests.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank adrian b
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

As the new Operators of Matriki Beach Huts, we have been here since 21st of January so now 6 weeks, we would like to respond to your review.
Obviously you had a very bad experience with the previous owner, as your wife also wrote a review on 24 Dec.
We are starting fresh and are trying to build up the business and to make it into a fantastic holiday destination.
We have upgraded all the Rooms and replaced all the showers and installed new bug screens.
We have also insulated the rooms with pink bats insulation and removed all non essential items from the property.
You can visit our facebook page, just search matrikibeachhuts to see the changes that have occurred in the last 7 weeks and the comments from our guests to get a true indication of Matriki.

Obviously a 2nd negative review from you now, will affect us and not him, so your anger at him is a little misplaced. We genuinely hope you can see our point of view and like us move forward.
All I ask is that any travellers who read this review will understand that this was with the previous owner and not with us and that this is the new improved Matriki.

Yours Sincerely
Tracey Champion
Trevor Hodge

Reviewed February 8, 2013

If you want the perfect location at an affordable price and happy to go back to basics, the Beach Huts are perfect. Don't expect luxury, but expect to relax, walk 5 metres from your bed into the lagoon for snorkelling. Mathias will hit you up for the snorkelling trip, but it's worth it, he caters a wonderful lunch and has brilliant snorkelling spots. Self catering, bring luxury foods from Rarotonga as the island has the basics only. Recommend the beach huts,

Room Tip: The lagoon is your swimming pool and fitness centre :-) Book the solo standing Beach Huts or upstai...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends