“out of touch with the world in Aitutaki, Cook Is. with Trevor and Tracey”
Review of Matriki Beach Huts

and 1 more site!
Matriki Beach Huts
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I'm a Canadian and hope they still take Canadian's after my visit.(They adore us Canadians) I was in heaven in my beach hut looking at the sea every moment of the day. Simple accomodations for a simple life style. No other place on the island would have people getting to know one another like this place did. They did the trips out to islands for snorkling and they were great fun. Snokling right out front is one of the best I've had the pleasure of. I've travelled a lot and was at home here. I even cried when I had to leave. Stimulating times in the water, snokling till the sun goes down. Wow....did I just say wow....I mean WOWEEEEEEEE. Totally recommending this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Hi Donna
Thank you for your feedback and review of our little establishment in Aitutaki.
We have really tried to get a really good bond going between fellow guests (yes we do love Canadians) so good to know that it is working well. We really enjoy taking guest's out on boat trips as it shows Aitutaki off to its full potential and we love people getting to do all the best things whilst they are here. That is what adventure holidays are all about, so hopefully we will see you back at Matriki Adventure next winter..... you know when it's minus 30 and your frozen to the bone. It was a pleasure to have you here and Tracey and I enjoyed your company and the times we had together.
T&T

Reviewed March 13, 2013

It was probably not the smartest thing to do but I arrived in Aitutaki with no bookings. Straight away the friendliness of the locals came to the fore and one of the airport workers rang Ben at Paradise Cove who came and picked me up. His place does not have budget accommodation any more but he offered to take me around to see what was on offer and did not want payment.

We only got as far as next door where I discovered Matriki. It was just so full of character, almost like a movie set for a South Seas fantasy with the backdrop of the limpid lagoon fringed by white beach on the near side and white surf far out on the reef side. Nothing could be that luminous, it must have been digitally enhanced! The view from the tree house room on top was seen through a lattice of palm fronds. Why would you look any further? It's an adventure at very affordable cost but safe, clean, well ventilated and screened against mosquitos. There was a mosquito net but the external screens worked well so I didn't use it at all.

Tracey and Trevor are probably the nicest people to run a place like this. Their motivation is to share their good fortune with others. Trevor shared up a tuna which was freshly caught; I had my portion for breakfast. It was my good fortune to go with them on a lagoon excursion where the vast expanse of clear clean water was like a playground for our exclusive use. They took me to three snorkeling sites which, without spoiling the surprises, are world class. We had the lunch they provided - 100% delicious - on Honeymoon Island where frigate birds with their long red tail feathers were roosting and young coconut crabs were scurrying about in their borrowed shells. T&T have a good understanding of the creatures you will meet in your time on the lagoon so you get a lot out of your excursion besides the downright fun and pleasure it gives you.

I have to tell you something: probably the only way you would get your wallet stolen on Aitutaki is if a coconut crab took it. But because the rest of the world is not like Aitutaki, I have a careful routine when I go to bed which includes tucking it under the pillow or maybe down in the bed out of sight. I also have a careful routine of turning back the pillow and sheet to check if I have everything but because I had a double bed, the wallet had gone in under and I left without it. Tracey and Trevor were on my case straight away and got it back to me in Raro same day. Not only are they natural managers and relate well with their guests, they are honest, good hearted, good people.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Hi Will
Thank you for the feedback. It was a pleasure having you stay with us.
I think you summed it up best when you said we like to share our good fortune.
Even if it is freshly caught yellow fin tuna or swimming with the big fish.
Aitutaki is such a wonderful place and we like our guest to see it at its finest and we are blessed to be staying here and running Matriki.
The boat trips and snorkel spots are as you say world class and I am glad you recommend them to everyone. When you visit Aitutaki you must go out on the Lagoon, it is simply breathtakingly beautiful, so budget for as many trips as you can.
Tracey and I would just like to wish you good luck with the rest of your world trip and come back and visit us anytime.
Cheers Trevor and Tracey T&T

Reviewed March 2, 2013

A stunning location for this well run, exceedingly friendly beach hut type of accommodation.
It is very budget orientated,and provides wonderful vistas, with the best sunsets, stunning beach and awesome snorkeling right at your door! Trevor and Tracy who run the place right now are ever so friendly, helpful, as well as, running great lagoon tours! Good supply of bikes and scooters for use, plus the BBQ on the beach for general use was a huge hit.
Pot luck dinners with new friends...amazing!
The upstairs unit the best!
The grounds were always in perfect shape, raked and cleaned daily, with great gardens, fresh coconuts and herbs.

Room Tip: I loved the upper location...great view and more of a breeze.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Hi David
Thanks a lot for your comments and feedback.
Having taken over Matriki only recently it is great to see some very positive reviews now appearing.
We really enjoyed having you stay, you were a lots of fun.
Some of your ideas "Pot Luck Dinners" were such a success I am going to claim them as my own.
Keep in touch Dave and you know you are always welcome back.
T & T

Reviewed February 23, 2013

This place is only fit for a group of backpackers if they are desperate, I do not believe the good reviews are real people. The place is very dirty full of bugs, the shower is a hose the walls are paper thin. There are much better places on the island at not much more money, stay clear!!!!
One of his huts burnt down and he tried to charge the two guests.

2  Thank adrian b
Trevor-Tracey, Manager at Matriki Beach Huts, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

As the new Operators of Matriki Beach Huts, we have been here since 21st of January so now 6 weeks, we would like to respond to your review.
Obviously you had a very bad experience with the previous owner, as your wife also wrote a review on 24 Dec.
We are starting fresh and are trying to build up the business and to make it into a fantastic holiday destination.
We have upgraded all the Rooms and replaced all the showers and installed new bug screens.
We have also insulated the rooms with pink bats insulation and removed all non essential items from the property.
You can visit our facebook page, just search matrikibeachhuts to see the changes that have occurred in the last 7 weeks and the comments from our guests to get a true indication of Matriki.

Obviously a 2nd negative review from you now, will affect us and not him, so your anger at him is a little misplaced. We genuinely hope you can see our point of view and like us move forward.
All I ask is that any travellers who read this review will understand that this was with the previous owner and not with us and that this is the new improved Matriki.

Yours Sincerely
Tracey Champion
Trevor Hodge

Reviewed February 8, 2013

If you want the perfect location at an affordable price and happy to go back to basics, the Beach Huts are perfect. Don't expect luxury, but expect to relax, walk 5 metres from your bed into the lagoon for snorkelling. Mathias will hit you up for the snorkelling trip, but it's worth it, he caters a wonderful lunch and has brilliant snorkelling spots. Self catering, bring luxury foods from Rarotonga as the island has the basics only. Recommend the beach huts,

Room Tip: The lagoon is your swimming pool and fitness centre :-) Book the solo standing Beach Huts or upstai...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We spent eight days of our honeymoon in Aitutaki staying at Matriki in December 2012. We found Matthias to be very helpful and accommodating and found everything we needed at Matriki, including shuttle to and from the airport, boat hire, motorcycle hire and excursion (fishing, snorkelling and visiting surrounding islands) arranging - all at a reasonable price, so everything was hassle free

The beach houses have the beach on the doorstep and facilities which were more than adequate including a bbq and a very easy going, communal feeling about the place.

Everyone was very friendly, which coupled with the exotic, quiet and relaxing location, this place made our honeymoon very special and I can highly recommend Matriki, which is reasonably priced for the budget traveller wanting to stay at the best beach on this paradise island.

Thanks Matthias
Dave and Maria

Reviewed January 23, 2013

we absolutely loved staying at matriki. our little beach hut had everything we needed, a cute deck and the most amazing beach and lagoon right in front of it. the beach is perfect for sunbathing in privacy, and the clear blue water makes snorkeling the most favorite activity.
matthias, the host, was most welcoming and hospitable. no matter what we needed, advise on activities or renting a scooter, he was always helpful. we stayed 10 days at matriki and really have nothing to complain about it. we made friends with all the other guests and enjoyed this social aspect of staying at matriki, having bbqs and bon fires on the beach every night.
all in all, we can only recommend matriki. great value for a very reasonable price, especially on aitutaki. we will definitely come back.