“Holiday at Tamanu Beach”
Review of Tamanu Beach

Tamanu Beach
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Aitutaki
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This is the 5th time we've been and just have a wonderful time. The rooms are great and the location excellent. There aren't a lot of people and just quiet and relaxing. You're on the sheltered side of the island and perfectly positioned to see the great sunsets. The lagoon is calm and shallow and the coral and fish just amazing. Everytime you go out you see something new. The staff are friendly and can arrange anything you want. Needless to say we'll be back again next year.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Tamanu Beach

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Without doubt, the best holiday experience ever. Wonderful staff, incredible food, the self contained bungalows were the best we've ever stayed in. The beach was peaceful and the snorkelling was truly memorable. Can't recommend this place high enough! 5 out of 5, everywhere. Even the neighbour's kitten, "Bubbles" was terrific.

Room Tip: The self contained bungalows were magical!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Absolute paradise in the sun, great lagoon for kayaking and swimming, friendly people all over the island.
Definitely do the island tour with the lagoon cruise, awesome.
Great to take a scooter around the island, driving down unmarked roads and just discovering the island, up to the top of the island for the 360 degree views around Aitutaki.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Aitutaki is paradise and this resort is very pleasant. The lagoon area the resort fronts is one of best on the island, the snorkeling at this area is great. It's in a good location on the island. Staff very helpful but you have to remember its island time.. The room is a great size with separate lounge area and good day bed on verandah. A couple of issues need addressing including the pool area needs sprucing up as does the bar, not enticing. I appreciate it is an island but after 6 days there and there being no English breakfast tea at breakfast everyday it became tiresome to hear the teas on the boat- a little thing to some but if that's all you drink most annoying and not good enough for an not inexpensive resort. Having said that would go back.

Room Tip: Rooms 9 and 10 whilst not being ocean front. Close to the bea Rooms 9 and 10 not lagoon fron...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 5, 2014

This beautiful bungalow (in the 100's -- we were in 111) was steps from the beach and the pool! The beds were comfortable and the kitchen was very convenient. They provide a pitcher of water every day. We brought a Steri-Pen and sterilized out water in a glass, then had more for coffee and ice cubes. You can get more sterilized water in the lobby and the restaurant. Breakfast was a carb-fest! Cereals and muffins/toast. Fruit was rather limited -- usually coconut and watermelon - sometimes papaya and sometimes apple!

The Island night food on Thursday night was amazing! Great curry and Iki-Mata (raw fish in coconut milk and lime juice). It was a super dinner! Nothing bad on the menu!!

I love Cook Islanders dancing, so the show was fabulous for me! The drums are amazing!

During low tide, you can walk out for about two blocks! There, the coral may be purple or white! The fish were amazing colors! Butterfly fish, black and white striped fish, bat fish, trigger fish -- fabulous!! You can see this while walking in the water!! No swimming skills necessary.

We were totally disconnected -- except for my Kindle!! I read two books!! No wi-fi and no TV or radio. Surprisingly, we survived! At times there was no one in the water or on the beach except us!! Really amazing place to enjoy nature and make memories.

The biggest thing about Aitutaki and the lagoon (DO NOT miss the lagoon cruise -- we used Bishops) is that your camera cannot capture the shades of blue or the depth of the cloud formations colors. Capture them in your mind! I could stare for hours and hours!!

The cultural center and lunch is worth your time and money. They do a good job of trying to preserve the culture that was Aitutaki before the Missionaries.

Let me not forget the mosquitos! Take things loaded with deet. I will take several different kinds next timed. We sprayed ourselves, our clothes, the beds, and ran a mosquito coil day and night. I came home with about 40 bites and Zika fever (4 days of temp and body aches).

That being said -- Going back? Definitely!! It was worth it!

Room Tip: We took food from home to supplement the breakfast. The rooms in the 100's have a two burner st...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank TropicalSanDiego
Reviewed June 5, 2014

This place is AWESOME. We cannot ask for more. We purchased a vacation package from Costco and was the first time at Tamanu, stayed from May 26-31. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary so were hoping that this would be a perfect vacation. It was and Tamanu helped. The view of Aitutaki from the airplane was just spectacular. Then Tamanu staff greeted us with lei and big smile at the airport. We were brought quickly to the resort. We were greeted with another staff warmly and was given a tropical juice. She explained about the resort and brought us over to the room (room 103). The luggage was handled by resort and delivered to our room. It was very professional.

When we arrived to our hut/beach bungalow, staff presented us with a bottle of champagne on ice. What a nice surprise! This is for our 25th anniversary.

The room was clean and was decorated with fresh flowers. There was also a friendly resident cat and chickens that greeted us. The rooster became our alarm clock. There is no tv, no internet, no cell phone, no clock (there is a land line phone) but that's what we wanted. We didn't need all that while we were here.

The beach was spectacular. Although we were not in a beach front studio, the bungalow was facing the beach and we could still see it from the patio. It was not really important for us to be on the beach. The kayak was complimentary. This beach was just perfect for snorkeling. Since it is inside the reef, there are no sharks and jelly fishes. So safe. I don't know how many times I went snorkeling. It is a snorkeling heaven. (attached pictures of corals and fishes)

Staff were all so friendly and helpful. They were genuinely nice and not just because they were doing their jobs.

We went to the island buffet and everything in it was just perfect. The performance, food, drinks, and service was wonderful.

We went to the giant clam tour with the resort. The gentleman that drove the boat was very courteous and friendly. I was not feeling that good and the sea was rough that day so I stayed in the boat enjoying the lagoon. We went with another lagoon tour (Aitutaki Adventure) a few days before so this boat stopped at the same place for snorkeling as the yellow boat. I already did all that a few days before so I didn't feel miss out. My husband did enjoy the snorkeling that day with the tour. Actually, there is a giant clam in the ocean in front of the resort. I swam about 120 yards to the buoy (the marker where the giant clam is) and took some pictures. So I have seen the giant clams a few times before this trip.

We slept nicely while we were at this resort. I also used the cooking facility in the room. Everything was adequate. I had a problem with the cooking gas went out while I cooked a curry one day and the staff helped us quickly with the problem.

The mosquitoes didn't bother me much but I did some preparation by spraying permethrin (Sawyer brand) on my clothes before I left homeand applying exposed skin with repellant while I was there. The resort also have some mosquitoes coils. I still got bitten in a few places where I applied the repellant too thinly. I got used to it after a while. After all, this is the tropic.

I don't know what else to say and it seems that I was just raving about it but it really was a perfect vacation. My week at Aitutaki was one of the best time of my life. I will not think twice to have the offer to go back to Aitutaki and Tamanu if the time and financial situation allows us to do this again. I would like to think Tamanu staff for making our stay so wonderful. Folks at home are so jealous viewing our pictures.

Room Tip: Beach bungalows (100 series) are not close to the restaurant and office. Beach front rooms (200 ser...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DebbieKTustin
Reviewed May 25, 2014

This was our second time at Tamanu. The staff were friendly and helpful, the bungalow was very clean and tidy. The location is right on the outer lagoon with clean water. Will definitely be back. Couldn't get connection on wifi, but this is an island wide issue at times

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Geoff B
i2taki, General Manager at Tamanu Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review about Tamanu Beach Resort. I thought it worth mentioning that we've been advised by Cook Islands Telecom that they will have O3B (Other 3 Billion) up and running for us by July 2014. This means we will finally have a proper internet connection with the World through the O3B low orbiting satellite system.
Needless to say, those of us who live and work on Aitutaki are VERY excited about this, so the next time you visit you can look forward to having the internet while you spend some more time with us in the Paradise which is beautiful island, Aitutaki.