“Excellent hosts”

Gina's Garden Lodges
Trondheim, Norway
“Excellent hosts”
Reviewed April 25, 2010

I stayed 3 nights in Ginas Garden Lodge in the middle of January 2010. This is my 2. stay, as I stayed here in February 2004. When I left then, I promised Tutai and Desmond Clarke that I will return, and I did!

The lodge consist of 4 bungalows in a beautiful garden, with a swimming-pool. I had a rental scooter to drive around Aitutaki with, and it was easy to get food supplies. The bungalows has a fully equipped kitchen and bath.

Tutai and Des also have a beach lodge on Akaiami motu (small island in the lagoon), and I stayed there for another 3 nights (see rewiev on Ginas Beach Lodge)

I felt velcomed by Tutai and Des, and at a price of NZD 75 per night, this is very good value for money. I will definately return to both Ginas lodges somewhere in the future.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Hans Petter D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Tasmania
Reviewed October 30, 2009

Gina's Garden Lodges are surrounded by a beautiful garden and are within walking distance of a lovely semi-outdoor restaurant and local church. It provides a very peaceful setting, however, transport is required to access the beaches and main shopping area as the lodges are located inland. The lodges are basic and get a little warm, but there is a swimming pool on-site to cool off in, and Des and Tutai are very friendly and will kindly assist you to make the most of your stay

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Frankfurt
Reviewed October 10, 2009

We stayed at Gina’s Garden Lodges for 9 nights and absolutely recommend it. We were picked up at the airport by the owner Queen Tutai with wonderful leis. The queen is one of the three high chiefs on Aitutaki and one of the nicest persions we ever got to know. On the way to the Garden Lodge she showed us the village and advised us where to buy vegetables, where to buy bread and so on, which we did on the way. She organized bicycles and scooter hire for us which were delivered the next morning. The 4 lodges are located inland in a pretty tropical garden around a nice swimming pool. The rooms are clean and nice. There is a double and a single bed downstairs and several single beds upstairs. We stayed there with three persons and their was plenty of space. The kitchen is basic, but well equiped. The bathroom is large and clean. There is a TV with one channel in the living room. The large veranda is equipped with comfortable chairs and you have a nice view on the garden. The Queen’s british husband Des came every day to check the water and make sure that we did not run out of warm water. The lodges are cleaned daily.
Gina’s Garden Lodge is the first choice if you want to get to know the local people and learn about life in Aitutaki. Tutai invited us to a village meeting which was a great experience. Des took us with his boat to their second accommodation on beautiful secluded Akaiami island on the other side of the lagoon. Tutai and Des live just two minutes away and were happy to help with any requests. Tutai and Des can tell you a lot about life on Aitutaki including traditions, politics, history, the coral route, economics and so on. Ask the very nice housekeeper about the outer islands. She has visited them all and can tell you a lot about them. She comes every day to clean the lodges and is always in the mood for a nice talk.
Staying on Aitutaki was the highlight of our trip to the Cook Islands and we hope to be able to come back future.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Sweden
Reviewed October 7, 2009

My stay on Aitutaki was absolute paradise and Gina garden was for me, the garden of Eden on Earth.
Des and Tutai, the owners are the most lovable, natural and helpfull persons I ever met.
They did all efforts in the world to make me and my spouse to feel at home.

I will never forget the time I spent on Akaiami Island where they took me for a day of resting out after the long travel. I would recomend everyone to not only stay at Ginas Garden but also to take a couple of days at their Akaiami lodge.

The name Ginas garden is really, The Garden...... This garden is very big and very beutifull with all the pretty flowers and all the fruits. Only the garden itself was a experiance to remember for life with all pretty little nature, smells, sounds......
I spent hours only taking pictures of beutifull flowers.

I would like to remind potential people who consider staying at Ginas, that this is not a resort, this is a tropical nature experiance. An experiance that will stay with you for life.

We stayed for 3 weeks, and really got to know some people, their hospitality and service mindness is more then one could expect.

I really, really want to recomend Ginas Garden because I will never forget it, and I will come back.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AnkiSwipe
San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
Reviewed September 25, 2009

If you want to stay in a cheap accomodation, then stay here, the lodges are clean but very very basics, the beds are not good, there is no aircon, everything smells humid. a good backpacker option.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fernando E

Travelers are raving about these Aitutaki hotels

Oakland, California
Reviewed June 12, 2009

I spent approximately a month on Aitutaki. A total of only a couple of hours on Rarotonga. I just loved everything about Aitutaki. The owner met me at the airport with a warm welcome and several leis, possibly from the Lodges, that smelled exactly like paradise. We stopped by the grocery store to stock up on necessary items and on to the scooter store to order a bike to be delivered to the Lodges. Everything was just perfect. Des And Tutaki are gracious and helpful in every way. The Lodges are in a lovely green setting with flowers, trees and birds. I brought my dvd player and Des kept me supplied with movies! They also saw to it that I had lots of sightseeing adventures. I had lots of opportunities to meet people and enjoy island life. If you enjoy the resort lifestyle, this is not the place for you. I'm recommending Gina's to everyone I know!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gordon_Ross
new zealand
Reviewed February 23, 2009

I stayed at Gina´s for about a week with my friends. We were greeted on the airport with amazing leis and brought back to the lodges (picking up motorbikes on our way), where we got two huts instead of one, but for the same price! This great impression stayed for the rest of our time there, we picked coconuts which we got help to open, fresh fruit and help to organize our different activities. The service was great, and we felt that we stayed in a special place where we got value for our money.
Will always remember this holiday as something very special!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank elinaNewZealand
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aitutaki
Pacific Resort Aitutaki
#11 of 13 in Aitutaki
Kiikii Inn & Suites
Kiikii Inn & Suites
#5 of 5 in Avarua

Been to Gina's Garden Lodges? Share your experiences!