“A must do!”
Review of The Vaka Cruise

The Vaka Cruise
Ranked #1 of 17 Tours in Aitutaki
More attraction details
Owner description: The ‘must do’ day lagoon cruise aboard the 21 meter Polynesian style Vaka Titi ai Tonga. Every morning at 10am Mondays to Saturdays, the sound of the conch shell signals the departure of the Vaka for six hours of lagoon magic. There’s snorkelling, swimming and sunbathing to do before tucking into to an island barbecued lunch of fresh caught ocean fish served on board and accompanied by a full bar service. Visit several motu (small islets) and beach comb at One Foot Island before returning past the old TEAL flying boat base. Impromptu entertainment by the crew will have you tying pareu, weaving coconut leaf plates or humming island tunes. Tour includes pickup from your accommodation on Aitutaki. Resorts adn Hotels on O'otu Peninsula are within easy walking distance from the departure point and the Vaka docks directly at the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort and Spa to pick up guests from there. We look forward to take you to the magic that is Aitutaki's lagoon.
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We bit the bullet and booked a trip to Aitutaki with Vaka Cruises (only because it is not cheap!). WOW! So glad we did! The flight there was just spectacular, the bus trip amusing, and the boat trip out of this world! Ali (soon to be famous because of his appearance in the lastest Air NZ safety video with supermodels!) is just such an asset to this company. His witty banter, and his modest (???) demeanour had us chuckling away all day. Aitutaki cannot be described to give it true justice .... I always thought the pictures of this area were photo-shopped - surely water can not have SO many shades of aqua blue???? It is a treasure to behold, and I hope it is kept as natural in the future, as it could very easily be commercialised too much. The meal on board with all of the staff looking after you, and the singing and ukele music was the icing on the cake! Well done Vaka Cruises - a first class operation. Bite the bullet and do this trip - I doubt whether you could ever be disappointed!

1  Thank Chris W
"giant clams"
in 36 reviews
"three islands"
in 11 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"
in 8 reviews
"air raro"
in 9 reviews
"local produce"

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We had a choice of the Vaka cruise or Bishops. We chose Vaka, because the boat looked nicer!! What an entertaining day. The very good looking crew kept us well informed and well entertained. And yes, the main attraction of the day is George the big trevally with incredibly big white lips. The crew of this boat (and other cruises as well) feed these trevally to keep us tourists entertained. At first I was nervous, and waited to see if these fish ate anyone before I went in the water. It was amazing. Further out there is good snorkelling away from George and his friends. I was chatting to the driver and asked him if I did the haka, would George leave me alone. He proceeded to show me the end of the haka where the tongue sticks out. I got my partner to take a photo, but the memory card was full. damn!! These guys sing away on the return trip with amusing ditties about alcohol and countries. I now know if you come from Germany, the girls are hot, but the guys are not. Two days later, the driver was at our resort and recognised us and said hello (he with the haka tongue......hot hot hot!!) Great cruise, lovely crew, overall an entertaining and fun day......and we were extremely hungover....lol. Oh, and the water at one foot island is amazing. So clear and blue, it takes your breath away. Onya guys. We had fun

1  Thank jewel_58
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This full day cruise was one of the highlights of our trip. We were picked up from the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort around 10.20am and quickly made to feel very welcome and part of the family. The vaka is open and well designed for the purpose with tables seating around 6 people.

Our guide for the day was so entertaining, he knew how to keep us laughing while teaching us lots about the motus (islands) and the Cook island language and culture.

During the day, we visited 3 islands, including 'One Foot Island' where you can get your passport stamped at the tiny post office. The lunch onboard was delicious, with so much variety...they only thing that wasn't really home made was the beetroot! Wine, beer and even French champagne were available and quite reasonably priced.

We snorkelled for about an hour, spending time with George the giant (and I mean GIANT) trevally and his family...a real highlight. I'm not a confident snorkeller and our guide was really patient and helpful...so in the end I didn't actually want to get out of the water!

We were dropped back at our resort around 4.00pm - I could've spent longer onboard...it truly was a great day!

1  Thank Tawachick
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This day trip collected us from the beach at Aitutaki Lagoon Resort &Spa and took us to three islands (motus) including One Foot Island where we got a stamp in our passports. The snorkelling spots were great and we really enjoyed seeing giant clams and four giant travelly fish (George, Gina + 2 others). The food for lunch was delicious and we had a good laugh during the 'impromptu" entertainment on the way back at the end of the day.

1  Thank KJ74Sydney