“Words cant describe, absolutely breathtaking”
Review of The Vaka Cruise

The Vaka Cruise
Ranked #1 of 16 Tours in Aitutaki
More attraction details
Owner description: The ‘must do’ day lagoon cruise aboard the 21 meter Polynesian style Vaka Titi ai Tonga. Every morning at 10am Mondays to Saturdays, the sound of the conch shell signals the departure of the Vaka for six hours of lagoon magic. There’s snorkelling, swimming and sunbathing to do before tucking into to an island barbecued lunch of fresh caught ocean fish served on board and accompanied by a full bar service. Visit several motu (small islets) and beach comb at One Foot Island before returning past the old TEAL flying boat base. Impromptu entertainment by the crew will have you tying pareu, weaving coconut leaf plates or humming island tunes. Tour includes pickup from your accommodation on Aitutaki. Resorts adn Hotels on O'otu Peninsula are within easy walking distance from the departure point and the Vaka docks directly at the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort and Spa to pick up guests from there. We look forward to take you to the magic that is Aitutaki's lagoon.
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

From the moment I laid eyes on beautiful Autitaki from up above, I knew straight away I was in heaven! I can't really fault anything about this day cruise apart from there not being enough hours in the day. Right from the beginning of the tour, through the end it was perfect in every way. Ali our tour guide was awesome!!! Waters were crystal clear, snorkeling was great, lunch was even better. If you get a chance I HIGHLY recommend you to do it. Its like heaven on earth!!!!

All reviews
"three islands"
in 11 reviews
"giant clams"
in 36 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"
in 8 reviews
"air raro"
in 9 reviews
"local produce"
"story telling"

Reviewed October 30, 2013

On the day I was too sick to go with my partner, and I'm glad she went anyway, and after the day with Vaka she was very glad too.

I had ruled out Teking (some of the reviews about his humour/attitude/procedures had me thinking I might not like the guy) and we were thinking of going with Bishops (turned out they were on a private charter this day). After talking our accommodation provider about what would work best for us, they recommended The Vaka Cruise as being the most comfortable option.

Of course all these lagoon tours have a pretty similar route and routine so the differences aren't that much. Being that both of us aren't great with too much sun and heat (I know what you are thinking, "what are you doing in Aitutaki then?!") a comfy boat with large shaded area, that serves lunch on the boat rather than on land, it was indeed the right choice.

I wish on the day I had felt better and could have been there too. Considering we had booked for 2 and it was a late decision for me not to come, I expected I'd have to pay anyway, but we were only charged for 1. So I'm happy even though I didn't go.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

If you take the Air Rarotonga day tour to Aitutaki, you will be taken to the The Vaka for the lagoon cruise after a tour of the island which could be dropped. Arriving at the tour boat, docked on the lagoon beach, everyone’s jaw dropped and gasps could be heard; the beauty and intensity of the colors; white sand, turquoise lagoon, deep blue ocean and sky, and bright yellow-green palm covered islands; was stunning! Most of the passengers were from the day tour but we did pick-up some additional passengers from other resorts. Our first stop was at Akaiami Island which has a couple of resorts and the remains of the old TEAL seaplane dock close to where the tour boat docked letting us off to explore and swim along the white sand beach. Then it was off to Moturakau, a deserted island where, among other shows, Shipwrecked and Survivor: Cooks Islands was filmed, with another opportunity to explore and swim. Next we cruised to the far end of the lagoon to snorkel amongst some coral. While cruising to the snorkel spot, the crew entertained us with some tales of history and culture of Aitutaki, demonstrated the traditional manner to open a coconut, all the while taking in the beauty of the lagoon. Upon reaching the snorkel spot, we were provided gear and given ample time to snorkel the warm, super clear water while our lunch was prepared. Numerous colored fish, giant clams and star fish can easily be seen amongst the coral heads. Back on board after the snorkeling we were treated to a lunch that was surprisingly good and then it was off to our last stop of the day, One Foot Island. One Foot Island and the portion of the lagoon around it is a particularly beautiful with a wonderful beach and swimming area with, nestled in the palms, a small snack bar and post office offering souvenir passport stamps that are popular, so bring a few dollars ashore with you. After One Foot Island, it was time for the long cruise back, relaxing to some music while watching the stunning scenery go by; the turquoise lagoon, dotted with palm covered white sand islands, while in the distance one sees waves crashing into the barrier reef surrounding the lagoon making one think about how this remote, tranquil paradise in the middle of the Pacific Ocean is truly miraculous work of nature. We had a great time and an experience we will never forget.

2  Thank Steve1362
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Travelling with 3 children, 14, 11, 7. We did the full monty from Rarotonga. Everything we take like clockwork. Pick up was on time, transition to air Rarotonga then to the shuttle then to the boat all perfect. The Commentary was informative and hilarious. Just the right balance to keep us all entertained. Jay is a winner! The snorkelling was AMAZING, just like the photos. All the kids and the parents had a very memorable day.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were recommended the Vaka Cruise from our Travel Agent and were very pleased with our choice.
We were picked up from the resort and taken to the boat and seated with a fresh coconut. Towels and snorkelling equipment are provided - all you need is your camera and suntan lotion!

Unfortunately due to high winds and a strong current running, the snorkelling was a little difficult. However the rest of the day and the beauty of the islands and lagoon was just so stunning that the snorkelling was soon forgotten.

The lunch provided on the boat was fantastic. Fresh beautiful food. The entertainment with the guys singing and playing the ukulele was very enjoyable. Made for a really relaxed atmosphere.

One foot island is so lovely. We walked around the island, and would recommend you have reef shoes or strong footwear if you plan to do this due to the coral on the far side of the island. Take your passport as you can get the One Foot Island stamp on the Vaka Cruise or for a small fee, a stamp from the Post Office on the island.

We had ample time to explore the island and relax and have a glass of wine and soak up the beauty of the lagoon before heading back for the day.

Definitely would recommend this great day out on the most beautiful lagoon I have seen.