“Captain Puna is the best!”

Aitutaki Adventures
Ranked #3 of 16 Tours in Aitutaki
More attraction details
Owner description: Full Day Lagoon Tour Time: 10am - 4pm From: Sunday - Friday
Reviewed November 27, 2012

If youre looking for a great day on the lagoon, Captain Puna is your man. He and his family will show you a wonderful day out in the lagoon. His wife is a great cook, and Puna is a wonderful and knowledgable (and funny) Captain. This was my first time snorkeling and Puna took the time to put my mind at ease. By the end of the cruise, I was the last to get out of the water.

1  Thank DasBinky
"food provided"
"tour operator"
"snorkeling stops"
in 3 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We went on Bishop’s cruise two years ago and Teking’s cruise one year ago and enjoyed both. This year we went with the Yellow boat as we hadn’t tried it before. Teking’s cruise is still fresh in our mind so we can make a comparison between the Yellow boat tour and Teking. To make a long story short we thoroughly enjoyed our time out on the lagoon with the Yellow boat. All three cruises are different and the ‘best’ one will depend on what you are looking for in a lagoon cruise.

Teking
-More stops (total of 7 or 8 if we remember correctly), including 3 great snorkelling spots when we went, which made for a fairly full-on and packed day, have to be fairly confident as there were very few opportunities to stand up in the water
-Snorkelling spots offered far more interesting fish and coral, the chance to feed the fish yourself, and much greater numbers of fish
-The boat we felt was pretty cramped at times and we had to squish in a bit to fit
-Lunch served on both tours were good

Yellow boat tour
-Very relaxed in terms of its pace and activities
-If you didn’t want to snorkel you didn’t have to which was great, and you wouldn’t feel like you were wasting time as they drop you off on a gorgeous island to explore
-Large boat with lots of place to put your stuff and sit comfortably
-Snorkelling was only at two spots and both were pretty average in terms of what you could see
-Lunch served on both tours were good

If you are more snorkelling inclined then Teking’s would probably be the better option. If you want a really relaxing day out on the lagoon then the Yellow boat tour is the way to go. We had done Teking's cruise already and seen the more interesting stuff through snorkelling, so we were happy to have a slower paced day with the Yellow boat.

4  Thank b_and_d_nz
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We had a great day out on this cruise. You get picked up at your accommodation and dropped back in the afternoon. Great swimming and snorkeling. Lunch on One Foot Island was great, cooked by the captains family. Everyone was very friendly. We stopped at different locations in the lagoon to swim and snorkel. The trip was that good we thought about doing it again before we left. Would recommend it highly.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

The Aitutaki lagoon with her marine life, motus (small islands), sand bars, and crystal clear water are unique and amazing. It was tough to decide which lagoon cruise company to go with as they are limited, and all have received decent reviews. We took the advice of another couple that we met in Aitutaki, when they recommended Aitutaki Adventures (aka the yellow boat). The couple are “resident experts” if I may, due to the fact that this was their 5th visit to Aitutaki. So we booked with Aitutaki Adventures and were not disappointed.

I could go on all day about the beauty of this lagoon cruise but the pictures speak for themselves. Let me expand on the highlights:

From being picked up at your hotel to being dropped back off, the cruise takes approximately 7 hours. Towels, snorkeling gear and lunch are provided. Puna the Captain of the boat has a soft-spoken demeanor-he was a true professional. If you are not a strong swimmer or snorkeler, (my wife falls into this category) Puna will bring you to shallow water so that you can enjoy the lagoon while the others snorkel in deeper water. You may also opt to stay in the boat and enjoy the scenery.

Snorkeling afforded me the opportunity to view marine life that I had never seen before in their natural environment: giant clams, needlefish, and the giant trevally to name a few.
Because the option to snorkel in shallow water (you can touch the ground) was offered, my wife was able to see first-hand the giant trevally that stopped only inches from her mask and “stared at her with his big eyes” as she later exclaimed.

Lunch was one mouth-watering; Puna’s wife prepared a homemade feast that will satiate anyone. The papaya curry salad, and fresh grilled wahoo were incredible and fresh.

You will also stop at a few motus to explore-this includes eating lunch and getting your passport stamped at one-foot island, and a visit to the photogenic honeymoon island.

I knew that Aitutaki Adventures was the right choice when my wife wanted to do it again after we were finished. So we booked again and discovered that another couple that was on our first cruise had also re-booked and were on the second cruise with us as well.

The lagoon cruise is not to be missed while in Aitutaki, and you cannot go wrong with the service provided by Puna and his family-run Aitutaki Adventures.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was my second trip to Aitutaki and 4th day trip on the lagoon with Aitutaki Adventures. So I suppose I should finally say something about this awesome trip... Puna (like "Tu-na" as he states) is the fantastic owner and guide on this cruise. He is very passionate about his home and makes you feel instantly welcome onboard. You spend the morning snorkelling near Honeymoon Island and then get to walk around the island admiring the local birds. Snacks are offered on board and include donuts, coconut, banana and home made lemon cordial. Late morning is spent at one of the sand bars where you can take those picture perfect photos (bliss!). Then it's off to One Foot Island to get your passport stamped and have a scrumptious home made lunch made by Puna's family. I'm a vegetarian and my catering needs were very well looked after. In the afternoon it's time for some more snorkelling and you get to feed the feisty but friendly fish. Every trip has been utterly perfect and I will definitely be back again next year on Puna's boat. I've been out with 2 other companies on the lagoon and Aitutaki Adventures is by far the winner. You won't be disappointed!