“Cream of the crop”

Black Pearl Charters
Ranked #3 of 15 Tours in Aitutaki
More attraction details
Owner description: Deep sea fishing, Private lagoon/snorkelling tours, spearfishing in Aitutaki.(All snorkelling is guided and includes the outer reef)
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children
Thornhill, Canada
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Cream of the crop”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Nothing big and fancy but just down right friendly family. What an amazing day out and how romantic it was for my husband and I. Mike and Mere treated us so well we will never forget this special day. Great spots to snorkel and helpful info from Mere while in the water viewing. Terrific food from both Mike and Mere as chef's and nice quiet spots to stop. What more could you ask for they even have towels ready for you to dry off.
Thanks both of you for a once in a lifetime special day.

Visited November 2012

Melbourne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A brilliant day with an adaptable mix”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of taking the Black Pearl for a day charter in December 2012.

Because the boat was ours we had a near infinite amount of options in terms of how to spend the day. Based on Mike's advice I went fishing from 5am til ~9am and then we picked up my wife and Mere at 9'ish for a day of lagoon exploring, fish feeding and snorkelling until ~4ish.

My travellers tip if you want to fish, or fish the earliest part of the mixed hire, is listen to Mike and if means getting up earlier (especially in summer) take the advice on board. We landed our best fish early and the guys do this for a living, they know the best times.

The lagoon trip was amazing. The many snorkelling locations offer a wide variety of different experiences and to avoid getting to fatigued, it's broken up with visits to the 'Survivor Series' island and really excellent lunch on One Foot Island. (NB we stopped at a 5 star resort and Mike and Mere's lunch fare tasted every bit as flavoursome as anything we ate on the trip).

One thing that I really have to say is that Mike and Mere are beautiful people. Truly warm and genuine and spending a day with them is no effort at all. I think if I spent 10 hours at a bus stop with them I'd enjoy Mike and Mere's company and talk fondly of them afterwards, so as you can imagine exploring a lagoon paradise is a very pleasant experience indeed.

I also think they can make anyone from a CEO to kitchen-hand feel at ease because they are just so genuine. Come to think of it, thats true of the entire population of the island.

My wife snorkelled for the first time and Mere made her feel so incredibly confident and comfortable in the water, even in some of the moderately challenging locations but if you're unsure of your ability in the water don't avoid the trip, the guys can tailor the experience to your comfort level (goes for the fishing too).

All up I thought it was terrific tour, the highlight of a brilliant 5 days on the island and whilst its not a 'cheap' tour, it is definitely great value. If you are going to fly 9 hours, travel to a tiny dot in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, then do things properly when you get there I say!

If you read this Mike and Mere - thanks so much. It really was special and the pics look amazing.

Visited December 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“11 out of 10”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

After a trip with Mere & Mike of Black Pearl charters you are almost tempted to stay "tight lipped", like you do when you find a new fishing spot, so that not too many people find out about what they have to offer, and you can keep them for yourself. However that would be an outrageous crime, because of what they have to offer "fishos" of all levels, needs to be shouted from the rooftops!!! All the other endorsements say it all...from start to finish Mere & Mike deliver excellence in all facets of the charter and we are not sure who of the two of them handles the weather, but they even got that right.
As a result of our excellent trip and hospitality, we are already arranging and looking forward to a return trip next year. Thanks guys ... D'Arc & Des NZ

Visited November 2012
Auckland Central, New Zealand
“You can keep Jack Sparrow, it's all about Mike!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

It should be known that I'm not a massive fisho, yet. This is also the first time I've been inspired to write a review!

I've only been fishing a couple of years and haven't packed that much into that time, but I have caught the bug. I looked up charters before we left for Aitutaki and after a bit of research decided on Black Pearl. A bit of back-and-forth on the email with Mike and Mere and I was decided.
On the day, Mike picked me up nice and early and off we went. A cup of coffee, a few sandwiches (thanks Mere!) a shark and a couple of humpbacks later, we came across a school of SkipJack. Now, the accomplished among you will know these are not prized fish. Bait, in the good times. But this was late October and the big stuff wasn't really about. Did I care? No! Did Mike? No!! I still haven't decided who was more excited between the two of us, but it was the best fishing I've ever done! Sure, not the Mahi Mahi, Wahoo or Yellow Fin I had dreamed of, but between Mike and I we managed to land plenty and had a laugh doing it! Mike was excellent in coaching me through the first couple of fish, considering it was a completely new feeling to someone who'd only ever tackled pannie Snapper before! I can't cast a line for toffee, so we decided not to pester the GT!
In summary; an awesome morning out on the water, great company.
My only regret - we'd been on a lagoon tour the previous day with another operator. Had our hotel told us about Black Pearl we would've gone with them.
Thank you so much Mike and Mere, I had an amazing morning, I'm sorry I missed you when you dropped some of the catch of at the hotel later in the day.
See you again, maybe not soon, but one day!

Cheers!

Visited October 2012
Merano, Italy
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“I would go only with them”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We had try to go fishing for some days during our stay in aitutaki, but the sea was always a bit big, so at the end we didn't but Mike was came always to tell us of the situation of the sea and regret he has gave us cut of fishes that he caught in the day. Fantastic person very kind, if I go again at aitutaki the first thing will be to go fishing with Mike. Thank you Mike

Visited September 2012