“Just perfect”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tahaa
Sao Paulo, SP
“Just perfect”
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

This place is unbelievably beautiful! Located on a motu with a wonderful view.
The rooms are spacious, comfortable, huge balcony, very charming decoration.
Loved their swimming pool. They have a good bar by the pool, with many options of cocktails.
They have 3 restaurants. One of them is a gourmet restaurant called Ohiri, which is great! There are only 4 tables, so you should book in advance.
Breakfast is really good!
Staff very helpful, very friendly.
There is a wonderful coral garden where you can go snorkeling.
It was an amazing experience!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Reviewed June 21, 2014

If you want somewhere quiet where you can do some paddling / kayaking and really awsome snorkelling all free of charge then this place is fantastic. When we were there there was even a well-know hollywood star staying! That just says it all. It's really isolated.
Go for a massage at the spa, the staff are well trained. Breakfast is amazing.

Lake Charles, LA
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Now I know what it means to stay in a Relais and Chateau property-WOW! We were greeted by the manager, Julian, who was also there to tell us goodbye when we left-the whole staff was just over the top in service excellence. We were given a nice minty lime drink and taken on a tour of the property and offered an upgrade to a beach villa in honor of our wedding anniversary. It was huge and very nice, but we opted to keep our overwater bungalow-how many times do you get to stay in an OWB in your life? We were very happy with our choice, but our bungalow was not in deep water-we heard many people say they saw manta rays and octopus in the deeper water. However, we were seldom in our room, and we did see baby sharks when we threw bread in the water from the coffee table, so no big deal. We stayed in Moorea and Bora Bora as well, but Tahaa just seemed more truly Polynesian. A lot of the management staff live at the resort, like the manager, the activity director and the awesome pastry chef.

Every evening we got a treat-the first night we were sent champagne and our bed was decorated, the second night we were sent an unbelievable chocolate praline cake(we had the same cake the night before and I had complimented the pastry chef and told him it was the best dessert I had ever had), and the third night we found Tahaa vanilla beans waiting after dinner. The first night our dinner was complimentary as well-all in honor of our 35 wedding anniversary!

We had one issue with our first night dinner, where we believe the order was lost. When the dinner finally arrived it was not hot. I spoke to the manager and he was so upset that I was sorry I complained. Everyone apologized and the next night we were sent glasses of champagne with our dessert. Our food at our other dinners was all spectacular. We thought breakfast was divine-all of the breads, pastries are made by the chef and the madelaines- god, I lost count of how many I ate.

To snorkel in the best location here, go past the pool, keep walking all the way down to the end of the motu, where the rock is volcanic-slip in and let the current take you back to the resort. Be careful here- there are some very shallow spots-it is easier with water shoes, not fins, and be sure to wear a rash guard to protect your skin from the coral. There is nothing worse than a coral injury, except maybe a foot stabbed bye a sea urchin and there are many here. They hide under the rocks and have long black spines. Bring a little bread with you and as you swim along you will be surrounded by beautiful fish of every kind and description.

We ventured into town one afternoon-my advice-do not waste your time if you are going for water or wine. They give you 2 waters every day at the resort and you can fill them up for free in the fitness center-which is very nice by the way. It has lots of elliptical machines, treadmills, balls and weights and overlooks a lovely lagoon. Anyway, the store has a VERY limited selection of wine- I am talking Carlo Rossi here in a jug. There are a few chips for snacks, no toiletries(not that you need any). The only thing I bought was a Diet Coke for $1.75 since they were $4.00 at Tahaa. Wine at Tahaa was $10.00-$12.00 per glass and the glasses were very generous-we just stopped worrying about it.

One night we ventured out to Chez Louise for dinner. It is not for you if you need fancy every night-this is a true cultural experience(see separate review). One hint-bring your own wine here-hers is not good. We brought some of those small wines with us from home and kept the little bottles-we ordered wine from the resort, poured it into the little bottles, put them in my purse and voila!

We went on a circle island tour with Dave Antinui and he was wonderful and knowledgeable.(see separate review). I highly recommend this tour. The vanilla plantation was so very interesting and the views were gorgeous. We got great deals on pearls at the Love Pearl farm.

This was an awesome resort, beautiful and with unbelievable service. The island of Tahaa is absolutely stunning. If you asked me to choose between Tahaa and Bora Bora-I just couldn't.

Room Tip: Ask for bungalow over deep water if you want to see lots of fish under your bungalow.
7 Thank LATaz
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We loved our 10-day stay at Le Taha'a, and are ready to come back as soon as we can!
The location and service are spectacular, you feel like you're in heaven, and taken care of for all you may want in a relaxed and luxurious way. Hats off to the superb General Manger Julien Bressolles-- who (on several occasions) went the extra mile to take care of us!! He has somehow managed to have an ambiance that feels REAL and "of Tahiti" (entirely non-corporate), populated with the sweetness of the Tahitian people and French people on the staff (we grew to know and enjoy MANY of the wonderful staff!!) , yet every efficiency is spot-on. No small task for a very remote paradise!! We stayed in an end of pontoon OWB (thank you to Claudia at "Pacific For Less" for your guidance, and for the many other great perks and discounts PFL provided!)...the OWB was completely private! While being worried at first-- that 10 days could be too long and somehow boring....au contraire... we adventured on some days and stayed on site for others and could have happily stayed another 10 days!!! We liked the food options (consider that you're in the middle of nowhere, + I'm a vegetarian), the activities offered (Maire was great! Samuel for snorkeling+!), and the Polynesian dancing nights on Tuesdays! We did stay at St. Regis Bora Bora on this trip, and while it was wonderful (particularly in the generous and comfy rooms & excellent breakfast buffet!)--it was very tamed/Disney. We've traveled to many tropical islands before, I would come back to Le Taha'a first and always if I could! Very small downsides (in the interest of balance): Everything in Tahiti is expensive (of course!), the WIFI should be free of charge at Le Taha'a, the coffee at breakfast REALLY needs to be better (!!) --so glad we had an espresso maker in the room--and you may want to bring your own trusted shampoo + conditioner because the combo product in the room was horrible for my hair. Small things...small things indeed in the face of paradise.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 9-- OWB end of pontoon for ultimate privacy.
5 Thank gtrdiva58
Forest, Virginia
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Le Taha’a is a quiet, cozy resort. Not much goes on, which is exactly what we like. Our room was perfect - we had an end unit OWB and the view was spectacular. While I rate the breakfast low, the rest of our meals were delicious!! We ate at The Ohiri one night - and it was fantastic! I had veal and it was melt-in-your mouth yummy. We also did a cooking lesson with the chef one day at noon, then ate the lunch we fixed. Well worth it. We did an island tour which included lunch - ending the day at Le Taha’a’s Coral Garden - and it was one of the highlights of our trip. This was a fast current coral garden, so you walk a ways up to the opening, and let the water take you. We saw 2 moray eels among all the beautiful coral and fish. It was PHENOMENAL. They have a nice pool (we never used). Important to me is: they have a hairdryer, safe, white bedding and a great-working air conditioner. Of the three islands we visited during our stay, this was my favorite…something about it. Oh and Ashton & Mila were there too! HIGHLY recommended.

1 Thank KellyGrambau
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We wanted to enjoy 2 different islands during our trip to Tahiti, so stayed at the St Regis Bora Bora and Le Taha'a. They are completely different - but there is a warmth and true Tahitian flair at Le Taha'a - and was a great addition to our holiday. I would have been happy to bring the kids to this resort (not the first) ... we were there in May, so perhaps 50% occupancy - the place would feel really full at 100% occupancy.

We had a lovely sunset overwater villa - the picture window and the fish feeding boxes from the bedroom were great additions to the room. In fact, throughout the resort, there are so many 'little' touches that make it a really charming hotel.

The drift snorkeling in the coral garden is exceptional and so accessible - basically you walk up the side of the motu (small island) and then walk into the channel between 2 motu and the current takes you back towards the hotel and you get to 100s and 100s of different corals and fish en route. BRILLIANT.

The overland tour of Taha'a island with a local guide is a MUST. The activities desk can organise it for you. This trip was a bit of a highlight for us in the trip - and in seeing some more 'real' Tahiti vs the tourist hotels and locations.

The food at Le Taha'a is great ... the creme brulee was a favourite, along with the simple Mahi Mahi burger.

The spa service was brilliant - we had a 'vanilla' couples massage and foot scrub. I'd definitely recommend the spa, and it is set in a charming location.

2 Thank KKG007
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We decided to go to Le Taha'a on the advice of a friend / travel agent, Lisa Corso of Tahiti Legends. Last year we stayed at Le Meridian in Bora Bora, very nice, and we intended to go back, but Le Taha'a is another step up. From the moment we stepped off the boat we were greeted with heart felt hospitality. The resort manager, Julian, set the standard and his staff lived up to it. Most staff members seemed to know us by name and bungalow number. It was as if they had put an invisible name tag on us that only they could see. Every staff person we met went out of their way to make sure we had the most unbelievable stay possible. Island beauty was something you could only dream about before arriving here. Bungalows and villas are superbly decorated and furnished. Last year I paid a lot to go out one time swimming in the reef and saw a few fish, this year I walked to the end of the lagoon a few times each day and saw thousand of fish in their coral garden. Last year I also paid to go swimming with the sharks and rays, This year I saw them swimming under the bungalow. This is the place to loose all your stresses and worries. Can't say enough good things about it.
I read the review titled "Beautiful Island" and had a completely different experience. I don't mind kids at all, but in the 6 days we were there did not see any. We paid for our meals ahead of time, except for drinks, so I guess we received a better rate. I would say that this resort is better suited for adults, rather than children, but I know one couple we talked with said they would return next year with their children. There were no canoe races when we were there, although that would have just added to the experience, but I would say if that would bother you, when making reservations, check and ask the desk or travel agent if something special is going on.
So glad I went, definitely going again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Alanarnone
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tahaa
Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort
Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora
Conrad Bora Bora Nui
Conrad Bora Bora Nui
#7 of 17 in Bora Bora

Been to Le Taha'a Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!