“Oh YEAH! Even better the 2nd time!”
Review of Rande's Shack

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Huahine
Rande's Shack
Ranked #5 of 15 Huahine B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Oh YEAH! Even better the 2nd time!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Having stayed at Randes Shack first in May 2013, we knew we wanted to come back again. (see my first review under AUTSFDTF)

We were lucky enough to spend another week with them in October 2013. This property and the owners, Rande and Emere, are exactly as previous reviewers have described. Just an awesome place to relax and clear your mind.

We were saddened to learn of their recent loss of the amazing dog Tiger Boy (wanna be my motu, eh?) But they had 2 cool cats - Queenie and Tuna Cat. Queenie sometimes sat on our back steps while we were cooking dinner. She may have charmed me into sharing some of my steak and some poisson cru.....but that's our secret.

There were also lots of hens and baby chicks around this time. Rande taught me how to keep a lost baby chick warm at night and how to reunite it with the right hen.

Want peace, relaxation, good snorkeling, to feel at home, learn new tricks? This is the spot! You might think - Is this place REALLY as good as people say? Well, it's BETTER! Go and you'll see.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wendyl04

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in mid-September whilst on honeymoon. We wanted something slightly alternative from the plush hotel setting, as we both prefer to get a little more into the culture of somewhere we visit. Rande's was perfect for this. Accommodation was perfect - secluded, giving us enough honeymoon privacy, spotless and very well thought through with everything you could possible want catered for, and most imporatantly friendly service. Staying with Rande felt like you were staying with a friend who knows everything about the area. He was able to advise on restaurants, bike rides, give tips on how to chop coconuts, introduce us to new fruits from his trees and point out the marine life off the coast. Watching the sun-set each evening with Rande, whilst he told us stories of his fishing days, as well as when he first arrived on the islands was fabulous. A true gem.

Thanks Rande and Emere for making our honeymoon special.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Like the title says, I was next door but after seeing Rande's and meeting him I wished I stayed there; May 2013. I love snorkeling and sunsets. Rande's has both. The reef was beautiful and not very deep. I was there when the ocean was unusually strong. No problem snorkeling. Walk along the shore to the right a few hundred yards and jump in the water, you now have Drift Snorkeling which will take you back to Rande's. Rande's is the only "Pension" I have see in French Polynesia with screens on the windows (another layer of "Anti-Moustiques"). The sunsets were, for lack of a better word, BEAUTIFUL. You get views of Raiatea, Taha'a, and the tip of Mount Otemanu on Bora Bora. I cannot give any review on the rooms because I did not stay there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank IslandLubber
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Fantastic place to stay. In my opinion the accommodations are exactly as described, exceptionally clean, well stocked with basic needs, plenty of hot water, fans, towels, washing machine, etc when we stayed the dog trigger just passed ( I love dogs so I can fell for randy )
You will love it Rande Great "Ask about his red jeep".. I would tell you it great for honeymooners or just for you will will love it over the over priced hotels, Get to know the people walk around People are great enjoy Kirk Wright Chandler Az

Room Tip: If I was you and looking for a great getaway I would try Rande's Shack Do to the great people yo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank kirk w
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Fantastic place to stay. Three of us turned up quite late one night and got a very warm welcome from Randy and his dog, Tiger. Rooms are nice and comfortable, the surroundings are lovely and it feels like you have your own private beach. It’s a great snorkelling spot as well with all the gear you need supplied. We saw a greater variety of fish there than on some of our dives. You have access to all the grounds and Rande is always available if needed. Highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Huahine.
3 friends all the way from London and Paris.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Alexis1878
Portland, OR
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed at Rande's Shack early May and actually take a bit of issue with a previous negative review we read which was during our stay. In our opinion the accommodations are exactly as described, exceptionally clean, well stocked with basic needs, plenty of hot water, fans, towels, washing machine, etc., completely guarded against mosquitos with full window screens and mosquito coils (which is very important on this island), with full supply and use of bicycles, snorkeling gear, kayaks, floating devices, pretty much anything you might want for the water. And Rande gives coconut milking lessons and tools to use at your leisure. My husband passed the course and now is a coconutologist - is that a word... Anyway it was impressive and the milk was delicious. The grounds are beautifully maintained. Felt very safe and secure there. Tigerboy was a great dog. He followed us home at night and greeted us in the morning. We never gave him any food he was just a sweet dog, made us feel extra safe. There is a little dog down the street a ways named Billy, he is about 5 lbs, so watch out :) Rande and Emere could not have been more helpful, giving us tips on car rentals, restaurants, etc. They truly appear to be well respected on the island. If/when we visit again, we would probably choose the 2 bedroom unit as it actually does have a view of the ocean from the porch. We had the privilege to view all the units and they were equally clean and stocked. All prices were just as advertised. no surprises. We actually had a car for a couple days, ask Rande where to go, and visited many of the pensions advertised, we were very happy we chose Rande's Shack! He was a wealth of knowledge of the island and surrounding areas and history. This is a beautiful island, make sure to got to Huahine Iti, the view is incredible!! Pearl Farm was worth the visit and very interesting, however we bought our pearls at the Pearl House right next door to the Maitai Lapita.
Overall, we would highly recommend Rande"s Shack. I am a very picky traveler and I don't give excellent ratings as a rule.

Room Tip: Pick 2 bdrm unit if you want to be closer to the beach, bit of an ocean view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SKLPortland
Tahiti, French Polynesia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The dog, Tiger, eats clothes. The owner Rande actually gives him old clothes to chew on and within an hour of another families arrival, they fell victim. Nice dog, however I make it a practice to not feed other people's animals and he did not stick around my bungalow. These TWO bungalows and ONE studio should be listed under vacation rentals, not hotels.
I am a single traveler on a budget and ask a lot of questions when deciding where to stay. I was told about the 50 franc daily tax over the phone by Emere. Don't let that tiny voice fool you, it changed when I inquired about the final bill. I asked if the 10% tax was a mistake and it was not. At the time I had been in French Polynesia for a month and had never heard of, or seen 10% tax. The Shack charges 10,000 XPF a night, even if your single and the only guest on the property, which I was most of my stay. Bringing the tax matter to Rande, he also said "it was not a mistake". When I explained what I had been quoted, he stated "we don't want any problems, let's forget about it."
I am forty three years old and have been traveling for six and half years and I know when people are dishonest.

Room Tip: In the studio you get to hear Rande clear his nose and throat every night. The bungalow in back, you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo