“A True Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Te Nunoa Private Garden Bungalow

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moorea
Te Nunoa Private Garden Bungalow
Ranked #17 of 18 Moorea B&B and Inns
Los Angeles
“A True Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

I just returned from my 2nd visit to Te Nunoa and couldn’t be happier.
The first time I visited was a couple years ago with my husband. This time I brought my 8-year old son.
The first thing I noticed was how much the garden had filled in. It is just so lovely and peaceful. It was the perfect place to relax with a book.
Again, when we arrived, there was French bread, juice and coffee, along with grapefruit and bananas waiting for us. I so appreciate this little touch as it allows me to relax a bit and not feel rushed to get to the market. I knew James & Laurel had children. What I didn't know is how amazingly well their children would get along with mine. It was fantastic. Together the children, snorkeled, played ball, climbed tress and really had a wonderful time. I even had time to read a couple of books!

The beach across the street from Te Nunoa is gorgeous. Even with it being school vacation, it felt like the beach was private. We had it to ourselves most everyday. There were are couple days we saw some locals as they returned from fishing. As they were cleaning their bounty in the lagoon, we were lucky enough to see a family of sting rays standing by waiting for few scraps.

What I love about Te Nunoa is the feeling you are living on Moorea and not just visiting it. The bungalow is beautiful and comfortable. The kitchen is small but has everything you need. Eating out is expensive in Moorea so cooking at home saves a lot of money.

Te Nunoa is a gem. It is my go to place for rest & relaxation; can't wait for our next visit!

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank timathea
familysamuela, Owner at Te Nunoa Private Garden Bungalow, responded to this review, July 17, 2011
So happy you enjoyed your stay. It was lovely to see you again and a delight meeting your son.
All the very best,

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ferndale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

In my wildest dreams I could not have imagined the perfection of this get away!!!This was so much more than just the Lovely bungalow. Close your eyes and imagine yourself relaxing...laying in the hammock looking up into the gardens palm trees swaying in the breeze. (Of course there is internet access if the need arises)When I wanted a bit of adventure I took advantage of the familys kayak and paddled over to the motu's. One night I had an amazing fresh tuna Bbq with James, Laurel and their family. I could go on and on they were so kind and helpful xo. The perfect dream come true.

Room Tip: Take advantage of James and Laurels knowledge... they are so open and helpful!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank kicb
familysamuela, Owner at Te Nunoa Private Garden Bungalow, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
So happy to know you had such a wonderful time. Thank you.
I'm glad Te Nunoa was able to provide you some much needed rest. The hammock doesn't know what to do without you....
We hope to see you again one day.
All the very best,
Aliso Viejo, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed for 4 days (too long) at Te Nunoa at the beginning of June. First off, Moorea is beautiful and we WILL be back... Just not to Te Nunoa.
The toilet overflowed 2 out of 4 nights.
The walls do not go all the way to the thatched roof, allowing all sorts of critters inside the bungalow. I do realize it is an island however, all if the resorts we visited had rooms with walls that kept critters out!
The beach access is not directly across the street. It is down the street and you must walk through a church property to get to the water. It felt like we were trespassing.
Despite mosquito coil burning constantly and the mosquito netting on bed (that actually has holes in it), we were eaten alive. If you attract mosquitos... Beware!
Dogs are constantly barking, both theirs and the neighbors. They do own pit bulls so if you are not a dog person, beware.
The bungalow does not lock from the outside. There is no way to lock your valuables if you leave the bungalow.... However, you can lock yourself in at night. There is a safe the size of a cereal box, however we didn't choose to use it.
You MUST have a car to enjoy staying so far away from things on the island. Once we rented a car, we didn't feel trapped at Te Nunoa with nothing to do.
The TV was ancient and we had ZERO Internet access. We had to go to the local resorts (which was a highlight of our vacation) to log on. It cost us each time, which was frustrating because one of the reasons we booked Te Nunoa was beacuause of the free internet.
There is also no kayak. We did rent kayaks down the island (another amazing highlight) but again, dissappointed that we had to pay, when the advertisement said there would be a kayak.
We went to use the bikes the last day and there was only one available so that was just another dissapointment!
We did fall in love with Moorea, however, Te Nunoa was our least favorite part of our vacation. We will be back to just not to Te Nunoa.

• Stayed June 2011
4 Thank Melissa_023
familysamuela, Owner at Te Nunoa Private Garden Bungalow, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Hi Melissa,
I am so sorry to hear you had such a bad time at Te Nunoa.
It is disappointing to hear because we always do our best to welcome everyone to our island and home.
Unfortunately you were here after a large rain and that is when the mosquitoes come out. I’m sorry you were so affected.
I would like to correct a couple of things:
We most definitely have locks for the bungalow and also for the bikes & wall safe. I really have no idea why you felt there were no locks. I showed you the keychain upon arrival. It was right next to the wall safe. My guess is that you were a bit jet-lagged when I gave the rundown of the bungalow.
We absolutely have internet service. All of our guests are able to connect. I have no idea why you were unable to.
There are always two bikes available. If you felt one was missing, you just needed to ask me about it. It is certainly possible one of my children could have moved it while we were cleaning the garden.
Previous guests had broken the kayak. Had I know this was something you wanted to do, I would have arranged for you to have a kayak free of charge in a wonderful location.
I always ask everyone to let me know if something is not working. From missing keys, to a broken toilet and a missing kayak, please just communicate with me. The time to tell me about these things is when you are here — not after you return home.
Kindest Regards,
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2011

Laurel and James make you feel immediately welcome to the piece of paradise they've created - spacious, inviting, delicious furniture, incredibly comfortable bed (!!), own kitchen, huge bathroom - the whole place is beautifully appointed.

Away from the resorts hubbub, Te Nunoa is across the road from an incredible beach and lagoon which at most seemed to have 10 people on it when we were there (in the 1km we could see). You have access to mountain bikes and a kayak, snorkelling gear. The bungalow is a 5min walk to the nearest market (fresh baguettes in the morning) and if you rent a car you can get anywhere round the island in a quarter hour and Laurel will happily drive you to pick up a rental or to the supermarket if needed. She is AWESOME.

We LOVED this place. It was private, friendly, beautiful, our hosts were amazing (including their doggies), we were gutted to leave but will definitely be coming back!

Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
familysamuela, Owner at Te Nunoa Private Garden Bungalow, responded to this review, January 29, 2011
You arrived as guests and left feeling like family.
All of us, including Lucy, hope you return!
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2011

We love Te Nunoa, we’ve stayed there 4 times; it’s SO Moorea! Each island in Tahiti has its own character and Moorea is one of the most relaxed places of all of them. Sure there are 5 star hotels and there are some no star hotels. Save your 5 star hotel stay for Bora Bora because trust me, you’ll want to be at a big hotel there.

However, when you’re on Moorea there’s so much to do that you don’t need all the big hotels bells and whistles.

Do yourself a favor and try Te Nunoa. It is the nicest and cleanest of all the B&B’s on the island. They have a beautiful property, a georgous beach, a kitchen to make anything from breakfast to dinner. There’s market down the street where you can buy Tuna caught fresh that day for under $10 bucks. You can go out in the yard and pick anything from fresh banana’s, mango or papaya. Then enjoy your meal in the bungalow or somewhere on their incredible property and just soak in the magnificent landscape.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sftraveling1
It is always a delight to see you and we hope you'll be back next year for your 5th visit!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

If you looking to stay in a large new expansive bungalow at a reasonable rate away from the resorts, this is the place to stay in Moorea. There is a full kitchen and a supermarket within 5 minutes walking distance. We cooked many of our meals in our bungalow, which saved us quite a bit of money. A private beach is just across the street. You can snorkel, swim or kayak there. Laurel, the owner, has her house behind the bungalow and she is extremely helpful.  She has bikes available, which we used a bit, but we ended up renting a car to explore the rest of the island and visit other beaches. By staying at a private bungalow and out of the resorts, we could more easily afford the car rental, and explore more of the island. It can be loud at night at Te Nunoa, but likely most of the rest of the island, as well.  Similar to our experience in Bora Bora, the wild roosters were cockadoodle-doing at 5am. There are some dogs who bark in the neighborhood, as well, and can sometimes start Laurel's friendly dogs barking. Once, again, bring your earplugs or better yet, white noise headphones. I think the wild roosters and some wild dogs will be heard almost everywhere on the island, much like Bora Bora, but I would not let that deter anyone from visiting this lovely place. Mosquitos were not around in force at Laurel's but if you are a person like me, who hates a mosquito buzzing around you at night, then I highly recommend sleeping under the mosquito net, and for the daytime bringing a bit of effective mosquito repellant. In the past, Laurel has had internet access in the bungalow available, but she was doing some reconfiguring when we were there, so we needed to sit on her front porch to get internet access, which she very kindly and generously encouraged. Her family did not mind us hanging out by their house but it would have been nice to have access in our room, and most likely you will. Her two children were very friendly and entertaining. Laurel and her husband James are well connected with people offering tours and kayak adventures. She had great recommendations for day trips here and there. We stayed at Te Nunoa for 8 days as part of our honeymoon. We loved Moorea and we hope to return in the near future.  Next time, we would probably stay at several different locations in Moorea so we could see different parts of the islands and not have to rent a car quite so many days.  But if you are on a budget and want a spacious place with a full kitchen, comfortable bed, a helpful host and don't mind a little extra noise at night, this is a very good option.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

We recently spent six nights at Te Nunoa at the beginning of our two week honeymoon and had a wonderful time! A lot of thought was put into this bungalow. Laurel & James are great hosts and we had fun meeting their kids & doggies. Te Nunoa is across the street from a beautiful (nearly private) white sand beach with an amazing coral garden. We could snorkel just a few feet out in the lagoon with no trouble. Laurel was nice enough to drive us to the store when we arrived so we could get some food to have on hand. She also helped us get dinner reservations on nights when we did not feel like cooking. Travel tips: bug spray & earplugs are a must for any visitor, as the mosquitos & roosters are active at all times. :) All in all, a great trip that showed us an authentic slice of island life!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple