“FOR THE TOURISTS WHO LIKE LOTS OF INFO!”
Review of Fautaua Waterfall

Ranked #27 of 64 things to do in Tahiti
More attraction details
Owner description: This waterfall is considered one of the tallest in the world with more than 980 feet of water cascading over volcanic cliffs into a pool below.
Boston, Massachusetts
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“FOR THE TOURISTS WHO LIKE LOTS OF INFO!”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Overall on tripadvisor, the information is insufficient for someone like me who scours tripadvisor and reads tons of reviews. If you don't want to read a LONG review, please go onto the next. First, let me say my wife and I are from Massachusetts, U.S. We are both in our early 30's. We have been to Hawaii and Costa Rica, so we have some prior knowledge to waterfalls and can compare them to those. As far as the waterfalls go, they are huuuuge. The largest I have ever seen and the water trickles down nicely. The scale is enormous! Now onto the details...first, we came from Villa Mitirapa (check out this B&B) and the ride was not too long. Maybe 45 minutes to get to the 3 cascades. On the side of the island where Papenoo Valley is located, we went through a short tunnel that had paintings inside of it (I think it was white and gray paint). We then saw a sign that said "Les Trois Cascades". I'm not French, nor do I speak it, but I know what cascades means, so we pulled a right. We drove a few minutes past a bunch of residences and just keep going until you get to the end of that rod. There is a dead-end for cars to park. Okay, not this is the part you need NOT to get discouraged about. First, we put on some mosquito repellent because a bunch of reviews explained how that ruined their experience (especially during high season). My wife and I went during August, so during the winter there seemed to be a whole lot less mosquitoes than in others places we've been that are tropical. We got out the car and came across some signage and a pathway. We walked down the steps and then up the rock steps and came unto a bridge. This is where people turned back and became discouraged. PLEASE SEE MY PICS! DO NOT TURN AWAY. THERE IS A SILLY CHAIN OVER BRIDGE. Don't worry about that...trust me! The bridge is safe and it won't fall down. It is very sturdy and hop over the chain (try not to fall over it). Once you cross over the bridge, you will see a sign about falling rocks. Don't be silly and take pictures of the waterfalls where all the fallen rocks are on the ground. You never know when a rock can come plummeting to the earth...that's all we read into that sign. ONWARD! We take a right and go to the first cascade which we can hear because it is loud. Literally took us 5 minutes from that sign. It's huuuge! Okay now let's go to the 2nd and 3rd waterfalls: Haamaremare Iti and Haamaremare Rahi. On your way to the first waterfall, you will have seen a sign that has steps going to the 2nd and 3rd waterfalls. Now you back to that sign and go up the steps. It took us about 15 - 20 minutes to get to the 2nd and 3rd waterfalls. We are in pretty good shape. The 2nd and 3rd ones are together and there is a small bridge that leads to grass at the dead end. This is where the mosquitoes and bugs are waiting for you. Hahaha! Back down we went (a bit slippery in spots, but not too bad) and it probably took us about an hour to take all the photos we wanted and do the whole roundtrip. I gave it a 4 because I'm still impressed with the one I saw in Costa Rica (can't remember the name) and I was allowed to swim in the water with the fall. If I had nothing to compare it to, I'd have given this experience a 5. All in all, I came away with only one mosquito bite. YAY! I can't remember if I saw bathrooms near the parking lot.

Visited August 2014
21 Thank Jay D

• Greek first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“A must see in the area!”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We visited on a dry day, but the area had just had 8 days of heavy rainfall, as a result of which the amount of water falling had increased drastically, as a consequence, we got soaked well before reaching the normal viewing area. But it was worth it, very impressive!!
We called in at this spot as part of a tour of the island, a 4 hour drive around the complete island using the outer ring road. We stopped off at all the usual spots, lighthouse, blow holes etc for US$50 each, plenty of tour operators in the port area.

Visited February 2014
5 Thank stephen j
Punaauia, French Polynesia
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

It had been awhile since I went to the three cascades. Wow what a huge change. I was surprised that the trails were easy to get to. The site is clean, and once you enter the grounds there's a sign that explains the history of the site. This sign is in French, English and Tahitian.

Visited June 2013
6 Thank Tahitigrl73
Seattle, WA
156 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 166 helpful votes
“Beautiful site and easy to reach”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is the classic picture -- in American heads -- of the Pacific islands. A 200 - 300' waterfall coming right over the edge and going (mostly) straight down. The cliff is highly eroded with seepage that supplements the waterfall. When we visited, the right hand side was ready to follow the left-hand side in coming down! Another thrill for the tourists!!

Visited July 2013
5 Thank Nail56
Salem, OR
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Nice short Hike, Pretty area.”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Nice short excursion and walk killing time on Tahiti. We had hired a Taxi for 4 hours, this was one of the Drivers local scenic choices.
Interesting local semi rural houses on the road in.

Visited April 2013