“The Real Alaska!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Adventure Denali

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cantwell
Adventure Denali
GreenLeadersGold level
Threerivers
“The Real Alaska!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Four women travelers, we all had a great time in Maggie’s cabin, it's rustic and cozy a true Alaskan experience perhaps the most authentic we had in our whole 12 day trip, we all really hated to leave. A truly outstanding place there in Cantwell, we all agreed that we would all be back to stay. But if your looking for a 5 star hotel this is not for you, my friends and I were looking for an outdoor, last of the wild frontier type of experience and we found it here at Adventure Denali.

What a beautiful place, the colors were spectacular the weather was perfect, crystal clean air, your mountain was mesmerizing. A totally magical stay at your Adventure Denali. The floating sauna was wonderful and your sons cabin across the ponds well it was enchanting. We had an awesome campfire! Absolutely beautiful, And a what a gracious host. Thank you for your hospitality Kirk, a stay I will never forget. I hope to see you next season, or during the Iditarod race, how lovely would that be!

Room Tip: Maggies cabin is sweet and rustic and if you have more than four there is an attached room that can...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank riverwolf

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Pendleton, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

I had the best time at the Beach Cabin. Kirk informed me of the size before and I was expecting much smaller. It was wonderful and I couldn't have been happier. We stayed in August, and still needed the wood burning stove, he kept stocked for us. We had two stay in a tent and all four of us used the shower, and I was thrilled that it stayed hot for all of us.
His place is full of peace, it is quiet and the lake is wonderful. It is beautiful, the mountains, fog, rainbows, wildlife, colors, lake... I can go on forever, and have exquisit photo to prove it. The floating sauna is something to experience and enjoy. I did many times over again.
I wish I could have stayed a month, twelve days is not enough to see all of Denali and Kirks place.
Thank you Kirk for sharing your home, your knowledge, your family and your dog Diamond with us. I came home feeling relaxed for the first time in years. It was the best vacation I have ever been on. Best of all... I want to come back to Alaska.
The lake is clear, and as for fitness, you can walk around the lake, or up the mountain, there is always something to do at his place...
I didn't want five star when I chose Kirks place. I wanted clean and room to move and not be on top of other tourists. I got that at Kirks place and we recieved five star treatment from Kirk and his family. They are truly wonderful.
Thank you Kiirk!

Room Tip: Maggie's Place is bigger, but the Beach Front is perfect for two people
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle H
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

"Maggie's Place" is a fabulous cabin, perfect for a large family traveling in Alaska. It has great energy and the lake is incredibly beautiful there, especially with all of the wildflowers blooming around it. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a real Alaskan retreat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BKAS82
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed late July, rented both cabins plus the extra room. Kirk was great, shared his garden, fishing was a blast, and lots to do right there without driving to the park. Did not want to stay at the "touristy" places up the road with Tuff Shed cabins. Can't wait to go back, would like to see it in March. If you want to stay away from the crowds, this is it. Thanks Kirk and Tanner for a great stay for our family.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank terry l
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

I have mixed feelings about my stay at Adventure Denali. I emailed Kirk a few weeks before I was planning to come up to Denali and he was very quick to respond, which was great.

I checked out the room for $75 and it was much smaller than I anticipated. After spending the day up near Denali National Park, I drove down south (about 25 min drive) to Adventure Denali and stayed in the Beach Cabin. It's pretty rustic and simple, for sure. The Beach Cabin has satellite TV, wi-fi and a small kitchen. It's small (probably 400 sq feet or so) and its got some years on it! The bed, pillows, sheets....need to be replaced -- they are all worn pretty hard. Also, some blackout curtains would be great (mini blinds don't cut it in Alaska - especially in the summer!).

There were some major issues w/ the place -- not sure if it was just a fluke, but, there were some problems. The toilet plugged up on us right away. I tried to unclog it, but to no avail. I had to have the owner come and unplug it. Pretty frustrating. The last issue that kinda made me lose my cool was when the hot water went out in the shower in the middle of a shower. Twice! The owner stated that it was a fluke -- things were going out, but two strikes was not cool. At the end of the day, I ended up getting a discount on my stay, which I thought was appropriate.

It's a shame, because the owner is super cool and I dig his totally Alaskan vibe and he seems very helpful and friendly. I just wish our experience would have been a little bit more enjoyable here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

Kirk was great. Had to change dates, no problem. Had a welcome note on the front of Maggie's place for us Kids loved the cabin. Views were incredible from the living room. Kirk is a true Alaskan who will make you feel at home. We will be back in the summer to enjoy his hospitality.

• Stayed March 2011
VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2010

Within hours of arriving in Anchorage we settled in at Maggies Place. It was more of a self contained resort, rather than a cabin to spend the night. We hiked, fished, went for a run, kids played in a boat, swam (brrrrr) used the wood fired sauna, chopped wood, roasted marshmallows round the fire, picked fresh greens from the owners garden, and really enjoyed the opportunity to learn about the area from the owner. And to think we'd planned to just spend the night before visiting Denali. Our only complaint was that our schedule didn't allow us to stay longer. Do yourself a favor and spend some time at Adventure Denali. It's a true Alaskan outdoor adventure and you won't want to leave.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank HeadinOutTheDoor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cantwell
Denali Bluffs Hotel
#1 of 7 in McKinley Village
Denali Cabins
Denali Cabins
#12 of 26 in Denali National Park and Preserve

Been to Adventure Denali? Share your experiences!