“Highly recommend for the fantastic view & wonderful accomadations!”
Review of Sunset View Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Lake
Sunset View Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Big Lake B&B and Inns
“Highly recommend for the fantastic view & wonderful accomadations!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We attended a family wedding here & stayed at both the big house at venue along w/Creekside. Both houses were amazing. The view for the wedding on the lawn was fantastic! I believe everyone in the wedding party & guests all felt facilities were top notch. I would highly recommend having a wedding or any big group function here.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Roxymom4

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Watching a Northern sunset next to Denali after dining on the water -- wow! The grounds and the rooms are kept with the perfection of a good pilot. You have to take your shoes off, and the layout suggests they are able to keep building and improving because of weddings. The view will take your breath away. Our waitress, a teacher, provided superlative service and the food was surprisingly good for a place where people boat in to eat.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Chuck N
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The good: We loved the view of Denali and the lake was very peaceful.

The bad: My family was looking forward to using the canoes to ride on the lake. We flew all the way from Pennsylvania with a four hour time difference and that's the only thing that was on my three-year-old son's mind, riding on the lake in one of the procided canoes. On the second day my 3-year-old son and I woke up early due to the 4 hour time difference. He was so excited to take one of the canoes out for ride on a sunny, calm morning. I secured him with one of the provided life jackets and we headed out in the provided canoe. However, we only made it out short distance when one of the other guest broke the silence, screaming at us that the owner does not allow guests to use the canoes on the day of the wedding. They were so worried that the folks renting the place would lose their deposit because the owner stated in the contract that boat use was prohibited and we headed back into port. I will never forget the look of disappointment on my boy's face as we had to prematurely end the ride he had been anticipating with such enthusiasm. This rule must have been designed to keep unruly partiers from abusing the boat use, but this overall rule ,which put our hosts entire contract in jeapordy, left my nonpartying family very disappointed.

Also, we stayed in the Creekside place and it has a gorgeous view, but the electrical and steam powered showers are dangerous. My boy nearly burns himself on the scalding steam vent and the towel holder fell over, nearly landing on his head. The house gives a feeling of trying to be more decadent than it really is and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with children.

• Stayed August 2012
AlaskaResort, Owner at Sunset View Resort, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
In reference to Set in a beautiful location,/not so good for weddings and Deceitful Owner Ruined My Wedding,all which stayed in August 2012, The contract states nothing about the canoe or that a refund would be forfeited for the use during wedding day. This sounds more like a dispute between family than with Sunset View.
Creekside Lodge does not have any steam showers and as far as the towel holder, one was broke due to someone pulling or hanging on it.
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was maid of honor at a friends wedding (August 2012) so I was intimately aware of the negotiations between the family of the bride and the owner. Suffice to say that what the family was lead to believe when the contract was signed was not in turn what happened. The rooms were great and the location was beautiful, but the owner who most certainly did not deliver what she promised created enough stress to ruin the experience. I would definitely not recommend the location for a wedding.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank VictoriaRK
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed October 15, 2012

What a fantastic stay. Kathy, you really made our stay memorable with your professional approach. Our group consisted of 10 x Ozzie adventurers, who were travelling across from Fairbanks to Anchorage to board our Alaskan Cruise. We had 3 x great nights at the McKinley View, in rooms that would rival any five star Luxury Hotel. The advantage we had was having the home to ourselves, being able to cook-in (having had enough of restaurant food) and sitting around just relaxing and catching up with some fun and laughter. Thanks Kathy it was great and we will be back sometime during winter......

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Kathy Glines, the owner of Sunset View Resort, is a deceitful, irresponsible businesswoman. My wedding was practically destroyed and I had to shell out thousands of extra dollars because of her lies and inability to communicate.

I had booked the "Platinum Package" at Sunset View Resort in October 2011, prior to my August 2012 wedding. My main concern with the venue was that there weren't enough rooms to put up my relatives flying in from Outside in addition to the wedding party. Kathy assured me that she would be building more rooms in McKinley View, in addition to the rooms already present at the Lake House and the Cedar House (the Lake House was by far the most gorgeous house and I planned on staying there myself). It wasn't until a friend of mine was surfing Sunset View's website in MARCH 2012 that I found out that Kathy had turned the Lake House into a restaurant! She NEVER contacted me or warned me that she had altered the "Platinum Package" which I signed up for. It wasn't until I finally got a hold of her (after numerous calls and emails) that she explained that only Cedar House and McKinley View were available, but that she hadn't invalidated my contract because there were still going to be the same number of rooms as there were when I viewed the property in October. She "did not remember" promising me that there would be 20 rooms available for my wedding party and family. As there are very few hotels/B&Bs in Big Lake and they fill up quickly for the summer months, I ended up having to book Kathy's other property, Creekside Lodge, for my family. This cost me an additional $3,000!

Once we arrived at Sunset View, 1 1/2 days before my wedding, we ran into numerous problems. First off, we were locked out of ours rooms. Kathy had told me that we could start checking in at 3:00 pm. At 3:15 pm, one of my bridesmaids called me to let me know that they were there and that Kathy wouldn't let them in the house because I wasn't there yet. Kathy never told me that I had to meet her at 3:00 pm! I called Kathy and asked her to let my bridesmaid into the house (which she did). As a frantic bride gathering last minute things, I didn't arrive at the venue until 5:00 pm. At which point I realized that most of our rooms were still locked and that Kathy was gone. When I called her, she said she was "busy running errands in Wasilla and wouldn't be able to make it back for at least 2 more hours," and that it wasn't her fault that I "didn't arrive earlier." So, my family and friends and I sat in the kitchen until 7:30 pm, at which point we were finally able to settle into our rooms.

Other problems arose, most of which occurred because Kathy did "not remember" telling me things. Apparently verbal agreements mean nothing to her. Fortunately I had printed out all of our email conversations to "help" her memory along.

The morning of my wedding, Kathy finally gave us our table linens (I had spent the day before my wedding setting up the tables I was paying for AND moving all of the tables that I was not allowed to use to a storage area for her, because apparently Kathy thinks it's okay for brides to do grunt labor for her). Upon inspection of the table linens, we realized that THEY WERE THE WRONG SIZE and WRONG SHAPE. When I called Kathy, she said that she hadn't checked them before she gave them to us and then she blamed the dry cleaners for the mistake. FOUR HOURS before my wedding ceremony, my FATHER had to drive into Wasilla and RENT table linens from Special Events! Thank God for Special Events! (They are a great company, fyi). While he was driving to Wasilla, I asked Kathy to reimburse me for the excess cost of getting linens which I had already paid her for, and she agreed. However, the letter requesting payment and the receipts that I mailed to her via USPS were returned to me. Apparently the address that is listed on Sunset View;s website is WRONG. We've left numerous phone messages on Kathy's phone, and have yet to get a response (3 weeks later).

I could continue with more examples of how this woman turned what was supposed to be a wonderful, memorable day into a NIGHTMARE. I wish that my husband and I had eloped.

I would strongly recommend against patronizing Sunset View Resort at Big Lake. Although the venue is gorgeous, the owner is the most horrible businesswoman I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with in my life.

Room Tip: Rooms on main floor in McKinley View are VERY noisy. Room in ground floor in McKinley View is a fir...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank KellyAnne687
AlaskaResort, Owner at Sunset View Resort, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Per contract dated 10/31/11 there was to be 11 rooms/22 overnight guests (does not state three homes) and we were to provide chairs, tables and linens for 50 guests. I later received payment in the amount of $2563.80 for the Creekside Lodge on 11/30/11 for their additional out of town guests, which was a month from the original signing of contract. Their decision to rent the Creekside Lodge was made prior to the start of our plans for construction.

We made a decision at the end of December to start construction on January 1st with completion by February 18, 2012 for the Iron Dog. We knew when we made that decision that we had to provide the 3 rooms that we were losing and included in our renovation plans to add onto the McKinley home. However, we provided not only 3 but 5 additional rooms, and 2 of the new rooms had double beds. Thus provided sleeping for 30 overnight guests at no additional charge. The total of rooms available at the resort with the Creekside Lodge total 20.

We did fall back on our duty to notify them of the change when we started construction. We did offer the option after meeting with them March 12, 2012 to cancel and refund their money, however they wanted to continue if we were willing to ensure there was a division between the restaurant and the lawn rental and multiple other requests that were met. Not only were her requests met we provided extra chairs and tables for 100 guests at no additional cost.

We did everything to provide for a successful event.
Anchorage
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My hubby surprised me last weekend with an overnight getaway in a room at the McKinley home for us and our baby. Being new parents, we rarely get out or get a good nights rest. We drove out from Anchorage and I was pleased to arrive at such a beautiful place. It was not what I expected. The room was exceptionally clean and looked brand new. We had a king bed and walk-in shower with double showerheads. Our room had blackout shades which allowed us to sleep in a little longer. We had fun teaching our baby to climb all the way up the stairs, where there is a "watch tower" that offers beautiful views of the lake and a quiet place to sit and rest. The weather was horrible that weekend, so we just lounged around in our room most of our stay. We did manage to brave the rain and visit the Boathouse restaurant that is in the next building on site. The restaurant is right on the lake and has a cool atmosphere with tall ceilings and big windows. I had the Rockfish Sliders, which I absolutely loved and splurged on a Chocolate Pate dessert, that I've never heard of before and that was to die for!
I wish we could have spent more time outside during our visit, but look forward to coming back. Hopefully I can surprise my husband in the summer for our anniversary.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sunset View Resort? Share your experiences!