“A very pleasant place”

King Eider Inn of Barrow Alaska
Ranked #2 of 5 Barrow B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I was surprised at how nice and comfortable the King Eider was. As with all hotels in Barrow, it was too expensive, but overall I still can give it a five star rating. Good service started wtih my phone call to make my reservation. The front desk was as helpful as any front desk I've talked to. They made my reservation, told me the folks to call for inexpensive but quality Barrow tours, and generally provided useful information. Check in was simple, and they let me in the room many hours early. They ask you to remove your shoes at the front door (but provide slippers) so as not to track dirt all over ... the hotel shows with few signs of wear and tear. Free coffee / hot chocolate / etc. is OK, could be better. Overall, a nice stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank AK_Steve_AK

Reviewed June 17, 2012

I don't understand why travelers would want to stay anywhere else when they visit Barrow. I've stayed at all the hotels in town and King Eider is clearly the best choice. They're right across the street from the airport, they have the largest and cleanest rooms, looks like the standard rooms have mini fridges now too. The free wireless Internet in the room is really awesome, and the lobby is perfect if I don't fly out until the evening flight and need a comfortable area to hang out or get some work done. I'm always coming back to King Eider and I'd recommend it for you too!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Jacob S
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The King Eider is as good as it gets in Barrow. I have heard that the Airport Inn is also nice but the King Eider is the newest place and arguably in the best shape of Barrow's hotels. Its right across from the airport (Alaska Airlines) so you can just pop across the street without a cab or shuttle. Rooms were bright and spacious with large a large LCD TV, satellite service, wireless internet, refrigerator and individual oil fired heating unit which fired quickly and kept us nice and warm. The lobby is comfortable with a fireplace, lots of magazines, coffee and tea, table top chess, big oversize couches and good internet. If you have to go to Barrow on business or just for a visit, Id say the Eider is the best choice, you will be happy to have a nice room to come back to after a day out in this unique town!

Room Tip: This isn't a big place so whether you are on the 1st or second floor doesn't seem to matter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank akranger
Reviewed February 18, 2012

There are 3 hotels in the northern most city in the USA. I like Airport Inn, Top of the world, then comes King Eider. I travel a lot and do not have time to mess around. I expect everything to work ie TV, room heater, room service.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Eliot C
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The staff at the King Eider Hotel in Barrow, Alaska are so helpful and friendly. They made phone calls to find out information for us. They called cabs for us when we needed them. They offered a warm lounge to sit and watch the world series. A computer was very handy for checking our mail. And hot coffee and tea was ready 'round the clock. Thank you for such a warm stay in such a cold place!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Fireweedie
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Barrow is a wonderful place, but accomodations are not spactacular. If you are staying in Barrow, this is the best place. Rooms are spacious and reasonably clean. However, it is kind of strange. Some things are given out generously and with others they are surprisingly stingy. Owners are a little strange, but again this is the best place in Barrow. Another plus is that is it only a block away from the airport terminal. An easy walk - although I went in the winter and the one block walk was at 20 below zero with a 30 mph wind - it was great!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CEHMaryland
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We have just returned from a wonderful trip to Barrow. The King Eider Hotel couldn't have been more convenient as it is just a walk across the street from the airport. There is one SERIOUS problem with the hotel. Check out time is 10 AM and they have NO PUBLIC BATHROOMS!!!! We were fortunate to have a rental truck so could get out and about, but is your flight doesn't leave until 8:20 PM you need to find a place to use the toilet. Very, Very bad business!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank luvcruzin2

Been to King Eider Inn of Barrow Alaska? Share your experiences!