“Paradise found”
Review of Tobacco Caye Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tobacco Caye
Tobacco Caye Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Tobacco Caye
Florida
“Paradise found”
Reviewed November 7, 2009

My wife and I just spent a week on Tabacco caye Belize. It is a wonderful place. We stayed at Tobacco caye Lodge and loved it! We have 4 kids and a very busy restaurant and have very little down time in our lives. Tobacco caye fixxed all of that. We spent the whole time just relaxing and reading,snorkeling,reading,relaxing,snorkeling. It was great. Tobacco caye lodge is clean, well run and very friendly. There is no hot water and no A/C. The trade winds blow and the water is refreshing so who cares. If you want a very low key,romantic place to watch sunsets and perfect stary nights,check it out. Barbara will treat you well and you will come home refreshed and wanting more.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shimi69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Caribbean
Reviewed August 28, 2009

loved it.
Staff were friendly, home made meals, great diving, rustic accomodations but worth the trip out to the Caye. Great vibe on the local island - amazing setting.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank susanatheresa
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We had a great few days on Tobacco Caye staying at the Lodge. The Manager Barbara and all the staff were very friendly, approachable and happy to help with anything. The island is super tiny with quitea lot of little hotels on it but we were always able to find a place to ourselves.

The set up is you pay 40 dollars a night per person which includes 3 meals a day and drinking water. The food was very good. We had lobster and a traditional Garifuna soup one day for lunch. All guests eat together so when you arrive just get stuck in and introduce yourself. The island is too small not too and it is an opportunity to make some great friends. There is also a bar where you can buy beers and very good cocktails.

The caye is right on the reef so the snorkeling is great from just of the dock. You can also organise tours to nearby reefs with some of the islanders.

I would ignore some of the reviews about bugs etc from 2007 and 2008. Barbara has worked really hard to make Tobacco Caye a really clean and lovely place to hang out. We could easily have spent a few weeks there!

They take Visa so keep your cash for the little shop, tours and renting goggles etc.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Crosthwaite
Portland, Oregon, USA
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Date: March 23, 2009
Reviewer: A TripAdvisor Member, Portland, Oregon, USA

We traveled to Belize for 8 days in Spring, planning to see the coast and jungles with snorkeling and ancient ruins on the agenda. We were not disappointed! Our trip started at Tobacco Caye which was chosen for the the promise of a restful location. All accomodations on Tobacco Caye are rustic, limited by size and location. It was exactly as promised. Beautiful waters, warm sea breezes, friendly people and delicious satisfying meals. It was so lovely there, the hours drifting by in a most dream-like fashion. We slept soundly in our bungalow, waking to hearty breakfasts, laying in the hammocks and snorkeling along the reefs, napping after a beautiful lunch, snorkeling in the afternoon, another delicious meal and then sunset watching! Waking in the night to sit along the reef and watch the miraculously clear sky with billions of stars was a memory to treasure forever. We extended our stay an extra day to enjoy the natural beauty of this hidden gem.
The waters were fabulous, snorkeling off the pier provided a remarkable experience, but a trip to the offshore reefs was incredible, and the day trip to Glover's Reef would be marked as a memory for a lifetime. Seeing dolphin, barracuda, hundreds of tropical fish along a vibrant reef is not to be missed. Tobacco Caye Lodge provides the finest accomodations available on the caye, offering the opportunity for a fabulous experience. Barbra and crew were attentive to needs and helpful in every regard.

Western Mass
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Tobacco Lodge was a great experience. The location is perfect, there are chairs that overlook the reef, beautiful sand, and amazing people. Tobacco Caye is 5 acres of sand, it's so cool the locals rake the sand everyday. My friend and I had an perfect stay at Tobacco Caye Lodge, I'm going back this winter. Three meals a day were included in our stay along with use of canoes to paddle out to the reef to go snorkeling. What a place. I almost forgot the bar is great, right on the water, I highly recommend opening a tab.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
S.S.M./N.Ont./Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2009

Just returned from another trip to Belize & Tobacco Caye, staying at Tobacco Caye Lodge & wish we could have stayed longer. The relaxing laid back atmosphere, local friends, sound of the surf on the reef right out the front door, other interesting guests from all over the world, good food & service worked it's Belizean Caribbean magic again - we left feeling sad to go but very happy to have had chance to visit .
If you want a big crowd, luxury hotel, lots of professional entertainment & pristine conditions - it's likely not what you want. If you enjoy the simple life & it's pleasures, good company of locals & guests, some great snorkelling, fishing (low tech), nature & sight seeing - you will thoroughly enjoy a visit.
We are fortunate to live in an area blessed with lots of freshwater, scenic & on edge of wilderness - going to camp is a way of life but Tobacco Caye Lodge is like going to camp in the winter without the three feet of snow& the company is a bonus!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed December 11, 2008

The island is nice if you really feel like lazying around for a while and doing nothing on a deserted island. This is not a place for people of luxury, but is definitely a place for people of relaxation. There's snorkeling to be done, but that's about it. My biggest complaint was that our wedding rings and my engagement ring were stolen either at the lodge or in transit to Tobacco Caye. We're not sure exactly when it happened, but I discovered it right before we left Tobacco Caye. I was extremely irritated with the way they handled the situation. When I informed the managment, they went straight to the lady who cleans the rooms and told her what I said. They then allowed me to check her room about 2 hrs later, as if she was going to leave the rings out 2 hrs after finding out that I knew they were missing. They treated me as if I must have misplaced the rings even though the ring box was still hidden exactly where I put it, except that it was empty with no rings inside. Then, once I got home, I requested a letter from them stating that we discovered the stolen ring while at their lodge. They said that they wouldn't do it because they had no proof that I really had rings stolen, as if I was probably lying about it. Their service was appauling if you ask me. Though I did not have complaints about the room or island, staying there was not worth while just by the way I was treated in the face of a problem.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tobacco Caye
#2 of 2 in South Water Caye
Belizean Dreams
Belizean Dreams
#2 of 11 in Hopkins

Been to Tobacco Caye Lodge? Share your experiences!