“Incredible site and ambience”
Review of Le Monastere

Le Monastere
Ranked #41 of 729 Restaurants in San Jose
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I went to celebrate an important anniversary with my wife. We were not disappointed. You climb up the hill and get a worth while view provided that it is not in rainy season (or fog).

1  Thank lgomez2012

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Went recently with my wife to celebrate her birthday. Food, place, the view, everything is really good. We have different entrees, main dishes and share a dessert, and all of them have a really good taste, presentation and portion sizes.

Is a little bit pricey, but based on the food quality and the nice location, is a fair value.

1  Thank Alonso M
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I gave Monastere one star. The view is incredible, but anything good about the restaurant starts and stops there. The prices are astronomical. They had a rack of lamb entree for over $100, and I am sure glad I did not order it, because if it was as good as anything else we had, I would have gone through the roof. We ordered a table side Ceasar, and were very excited about it because you don't often see those anymore. The waiter misunderstood and only gave us one. Thank goodness, it was given with two uncut pieces of romaine lettuce, and white bread croutons with no flavor at all. The dressing was bland and tasteless. So I asked for the onion soup, which wasn't bad, but it was all I ate and I had a stomachache all night. My entree was a Sergeant fish which was listed with caramelized onions, but what I got was a bland fish and vegetables so coated with sugar that I couldn't eat it. No one asked me if I was unhappy with my meal, so I shared some of my wife's filet, which was OK, but not of the quality you would expect at a place like this. The wine list was also astronomical, and we purchased one on the lower end, which was just under $50, and it was about as good as an$8 bottle. Something is wrong with this place. If you want a great meal in Costa Rica and are willing to spend this kind of money I would highly recommend the Park Cafe. The place is unique and the chef is a genius.

1  Thank Craig P
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Food was average, not even good I Had many lots of better food, I Reco the Muse or tikicia, which have a lot n flavor and better prices cr a plus

Reviewed January 24, 2014

From the first time I called and made a reservation with Carlos requesting a window table for my girlfriend and myself to the moment we arrived and all the way through dinner with our server Oscar J. everything was superb. The restaurant itself is very special and unique in that you are in a 100 year old Monastere on the top of a hillside that overlooks the city. Just the building and surroundings alone make it a special place. The view at night is spectacular in that the lights of the city look like candles flickering in the distance making the evening all the more romantic. As you walk into the dining room there is a gentleman dressed in a tuxedo sitting at a baby grand piano playing all throughout the night in a nice soft tone. It is almost as you are dining in an era that has disappeared and that you have traveled back in time to when a lady dressed as a lady and a man stood up to get her chair as she approached the table. Our server, Oscar, was excellent and went over everything, including the specials, thoroughly describing them and answering all of our questions. We both had the Caesar salad which is prepared table side from scratch and served the original way with the Romaine leaves being left whole. Oscar actually told us the history of the Caesar Salad which I Googled later and he was 100% correct. We then had the Escargot Bourgogne and they were so good we ordered a second serving. Next we had the Gazpacho Andaluz which was great and light! For the main course my girlfriend had the "Beef Tenderloin with Classic French Bearnaise Sauce" ($30 including taxes) and I had the "Beef Tenderloin with Black Peppercorn and Cognac Sauce" ($28 including taxes) Both dishes were serve with roasted vegetables and thinly sliced potatoes that melted in your mouth. The presentation of both entrees was elegant! I was more than surprised as to how great the beef was. My family has been in the beef industry in the U.S. since 1897. The portions were larger than expected and both entrees were cooked perfectly to order. The food arrived at the table HOT! Additionally we ordered a nice bottle of Italian wine (red). For desert we shared the Belgium Mouse which was topped with drizzled dark chocolate. We could not even finish it we were so full. We were actually celebrating an anniversary and they brought another beautiful desert on the house with Happy Anniversary written out in chocolate. We enjoyed everything so much that we wanted to come back the next night, however they are closed on Sunday evening. We were disappointed as we were leaving Monday.

Anyone who says the restaurant is expensive does not dine out frequently in fine restaurants. The atmosphere and the view alone are priceless. Our entire meal including food, a bottle of wine, taxes and service was under $200 (U.S.) Just remember to do the right thing and give an additional tip.

Thanks again Oscar J. for an evening we will never forget!

2  Thank Steven R