“Delish!”

La Esquina de Buenos Aires
Ranked #3 of 673 Restaurants in San Jose
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Bienvenido a La Esquina de Buenos Aires Cuando llegas a esta casa centenaria del centro del San José de antes, es como llegar al Buenos Aires de mediados del siglo pasado. En su menú no solo encontrará, platos como la típica parrilla argentina con sus cortes de carnes ya conocidos, sino también, excelentes pastas caseras donde se nota el aporte culinario que tuvo la gran inmigración Italiana. Dentro de sus entradas se destacan, las rabas (calamares fritos) camarones al ajillo, marlín ahumado y sus ocho diferentes tipos de empanadas. De la parrilla se destaca la entraña, punta de cuadril y la tapa de asado; sus pastas más pedidas o más buscadas son, los tres tipos de canelones, los sorrentinos capresse y los ravioles de espinaca y gorgonzola. En los postres encontramos los infaltables, panqueque de dulce leche, de manzana y la elaboración artesanal de la Mouse de chocolate, helado de dulce de leche, higo con nuez y sambayon. Todo creado por el chef argentino Mauricio Cabado.
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This restaurant came highly recommended by our wedding photographer (we eloped in CR). We dined here the night before the wedding. Reservations recommended, but they seated us promptly without one. The atmosphere was cozy and warm - excellent music selection (jazzy vocal). Staff were adequately bilingual. The food was outstanding! So much so, we dined here again the night before departing. Empanadas were wonderful - order one of each! Entrees were unforgettable both nights...the Pork Chops w/ balsamic reduction with apples & potato au gratin was especially delicious. Best of all of the amazing food we had in Costa Rica!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

On our last night in San Jose we visited this restaurant on recommendation of gringos who have been living in CR for many years.
The Argentinian steak my husband and I had was absolutely delicious - we often visit Gaucho restaurant in London but the steaks there were MUCH better - and we actually ordered an extra one at the end! The french fries the steaks were served with were hand cut and just as delicious.
Our three children were the only kids in the restaurant that evening (it was a busy Friday evening), but despite this, everyone made us feel very welcome and our waiter was extremely nice to them, he even drew cartoons for them on the paper table cover we had.
We would definitely recommend it and we would definitely go back.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

I highly recommend this restaurant. I've been in Costa Rica 3-4 years ago (~2010-2011), but I recommend it to anyone going there and everyone remembers and cherishes the experience.
One of the best stakehouses in San Jose. Big portions, great service and the last time I ate beef stake with mushrooms, you could cut through it using only your fork!
Definitely a place you should visit if you're in town!

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Is in the middle of San Jose by El barrio Chino!!Staff are ticos and Argentinians.Jason the best waiter ever....I went with my friend Virya and We have a good time..U got other options like eating Salmon or chicken...U need to made a reservation..We went two days in the row..First day we didn't have any reservation but Somebody failed to appeared and there we get...Very clean.Fast service and a nice bar as well..Staff is bilingual but Ispeak Spanish as well..Me tip a lot ...They deserved it
I was there May 7 this year...
Atmosphere so good that It looks Carlos Gardel goanna appears anytime,
I like this place that much that I save its phone numbers for my future visits to Costa Rica and Im taking my friend Virya with me...
phone numbers 2 call
(506)2223 1909
(506)2257 9741

Reviewed June 30, 2014

If you are a local or visiting, put La Esquina de Buenos Aires at the top of your dining list. We eat out quite a bit and have tried many places and so far this is the best steak. Although the specialty is steak, the menu is very diverse with pastas and seafood. The service is top notch and very attentive. Based on advice from a friend, I made a reservation for a 7:00 pm dinner and glad I did. It is very popular and busy. The wine list is extensive and obviously dominated with Argentinian wines. We shared a mid-priced Malbec and it was perfect for the meal. The prices are really reasonable too.

There were kids there, but it may not be for younger kids.....10 or older.
The atmosphere is the best.....Laid back and decorated with memorabilia from Argentina. It's near downtown so the area has lots of character. EAT HERE.

1  Thank StacieKvanvig