“You can hide your wrinkles there” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Olio

Olio
Ranked #54 of 589 Restaurants in San Jose
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Vienna, Virginia
“You can hide your wrinkles there”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

The interior is dark and cozy, and the price you pay is that reading the menu requires night vision goggles. The relaxed ambiance is sometimes rattled by a train that passes right outside the window--but it only happened once during my dinner.

I enjoyed a Pasta al Salmon which was pleasantly al dente and with nice, juicy pieces of salmon. The sauce was very creamy, so if clogged arteries are on your list of concerns, leave some if it behind. But washing it all down with a full-bodied Bavaria Negra made it all seem healthy and fresh.

It may interest you to explore the entire street (Calle 33) for its row of good restaurants, with Olio being one of the best I encountered along that stretch.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Reslysten54

Berlin, Germany
“Great for train lovers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is a higher quality-than usual spot and very popular with the business lunch crowd (I don't know about dinner). However, the most astounding thing about this restaurant is that it is literally within feet of an active locomotive line. The first time a train passed during my lunch I couldn't believe it. I was seated with my back to the outside wall, and immediately on the other side of the wall was the locomotive - it seemed no more than 10 feet from where I was seated. So that added a bit of excitement to an otherwise fine but nothing particular special meal. A good indicator is that it is the one restaurant in San Jose where I enjoyed my meal but can't remember what I ate. All aboard?

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank MarLay99
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Nice Romantic Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I've been to Olio several times and I always love ordering the Pina Colada con Malibu...for me they are one of the best in San Jose! The menu is pretty extensive so you'll be taking quite some time looking and thinking what to order. I can't recommend one specific dish, because I always order something different, but the food is good and the prices are not insanely expensive as you would find in other restaurants in Costa Rica (I find most restaurants here are too expensive for the quality of food you get).

It's definitely a nice place to go on a date or just hang out with a couple of friends.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank MeliChinaTica
Porto Alegre, RS
“Nice lunch spot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Good restaurant for lunch. Could be better, maybe offer some different options on the menu (very basic food)

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Tommy_Salomoni
Santiago, Chile
“hard to spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Named Olio, but most of the awnings say Bavaria. Cute little corner restaurant...nice, but not overly fancy. Had the papas bravas -- basically two potatoes cut in wedges and fried, but very good. We were given a wine sample (free) and sat outside. Waiters were not attentive after they brought our meals/drinks out (there was a couple at the table next to us) and we basically had to track down the waiter to get our bill.

menu in English and Spanish