“Great selection of food but slow service”
Review of Machu Pichu

Machu Pichu
Ranked #97 of 686 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Peruvian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We (G-Adventure group) ate there at the end of our 2-week cross-country tour and although the selection seemed great, all the dishes looked the same, in a weird sauce. I m glad i took some regular chicken dish which tasted very good. the service was slow as we could not get a second glass of wine. I got a creme brulee for dessert and was disappointed to see it was store bought and not very good.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful dinner at Machu Picchu. I had the tenderloin which was incredible. It was the most tender meat that I have had while in Costa Rica. I ordered it medium rare and it was cooked to perfection! It was truly one of the best restaurant meals that I have had in a long time.

The restaurant is located on the west side of San Jose, bout a block off of the main street (Paseo Colon-which runs from the Parque Metropolitano La Sabano to the center of the city) and is easy to get to...from the park, go 4 or 5 blocks and take a left at the KFC. The restaurant is on the right side half way down the block.

The inside of the restaurant is decorated Peruvian style and we went in the early evening when there were very few other diners there. It was a nice setting for us to relax over dinner and reflect on our trip.

We had great service and the waiter helped us with our feeble attempts at ordering in Spanish.

The price was reasonable. I think the total was around $45 US...which covered the 2 meals and a couple of soft drinks.

We would definitely recommend a meal here.

1  Thank trvlwannab
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Machu Pichu (Peruvian Restaurant) came highly recommended by many in our group as well as other hotel guests.
It is tucked away on a quiet side street a couple blocks away from the Tryp Sabana Hotel (use as a point of reference).
Food is great as well as the attentive service. This is a restaurant that is quiet and a very warm and family like ambience.
We tried the Pisco Sours and loved them (another one please), as well as a nice Sea Bass dish entree.
The food was well prepared, very tasty and filling tough portions seemed just right.
I would go back in a flash to Machu Pichu. It is well worth the visit.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

This restaurant used to be one of the best in Costa Rica by many people's accounts. Don't know why, but over the last 5 years the quality as waned, and the food is not superior as it once was. We adore peruvian food, however the food here is not even close to as good as it used to be. You can get an OK meal here now, but the seasoning and balance of flavors is lacking and could be much much better. We didn't have a bad experience, but the food in the last 3-4 years has just been ho-hum. Not the treat that it used to be.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We walked to this restaurant from Grand d'Oro hotel. The food was excellent and we lover our Pisco Sours. It reminded us of our Peruvian travels. We had a fish dish and grilled octopus appetizer, both of which were great.