“Good quality but expensive”
Review of L'Olivo

L'Olivo
Ranked #14 of 630 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Good quality but expensive”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I enjoyed the setting and the location to my nearby hotel (Apartotel La Sabana). The pasta is made by them and the menu is quite extensive. However, for Central America, I did not expect to pay over $30. Here was the break out of my meal:

Insalata Mista about $9.
Gnocchi con crema ai 4 formaggi about $12.
One glass of red house wine about $7.
With tax and service chare it came to $15.620 colones and one is still expected to leave a tip so it came to about $32.

Of course Costa Rica is more expensive generally than neighboring countries, but I still did not expect to pay as much. It's not without reason some folks jokingky refer to Costa Rica as cost-a-lotta!

Gedinne, Belgium
“Never again”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We had booked a table for three persons. Upon arrival at least two tables were free, but we were asked to wait. After about 10 min, we told that we surprised that we had to wait as we had made a reservation; they told us that they have to follow a kind of sequence. After 20 min waiting, the tables were still free and we were still waiting. So we left this restaurant, and will never come again.
We could notice that nowadays their a nearly no longer local customers in this restaurant, now we have understood why.
We had a superb meal in another place ... without reservation.

2 Thank babar62
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy Italian!”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Very good quality food with an extensive menu.
The waiter was very friendly and gave some good recommendations!

San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Great dinner and even better service”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I visit Costa Rica a few times a year and after I found this restaurant two years ago I keep going back every chance I get. I would say it is the best Italian dinner in San Jose. You can’t go wrong with the fresh pastas. Bruno and his staff are excellent. Would recommend.

• Visited November 2013
White Plains, New York
“A wonderful surprise”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

L'Olivo is the restaurant of the hotel where I stayed while getting dental work done in San Jose, and the high quality of the food and service was unexpected. We enjoyed linguine with clam sauce, grilled calamari stuffed with a caper sauce, grilled seabass....all beautifully prepared and delicious. The atmosphere was lively and pleasant, the service excellent and the prices reasonable. Highly recommended!

• Visited November 2013