“Pricey and mediocre”

Ranked #59 of 697 Restaurants in San Jose
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is definitely a tourist trap though the waiters and cooks work extremely hard to manage the crowds. We came as a family. Since I don't eat meat, I found the menu very limited and had trouble finding something to eat. I finally ordered the fish ceviche and, while tasty, the dish was more of an appetizer despite having ordered the large size (and paid over $10 for it). It came with four tortilla chips--NO JOKE--so I used the two leaves of iceberg lettuce to give some substance to the dish. Even a side basket of tortilla chips to scoop the fish and marinade would have significantly improved the dish. My son and husband really enjoyed their arroz con poyo (chicken and rice dish). Fun atmosphere, but would not go back.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I went here for a friend's birthday when I was studying abroad for a semester in nearby Heredia. Even though we all spoke Spanish, the waiter gave us the menus for foreigners. Even though the prices on there were high, we didn't want to leave and go searching for another restaurant since it was already getting late. The food we got was lackluster (I ate at plenty of other places during my time there, and they were all leagues above Nuestra Tierra). Then when we got the bill, we were blown away by what we got charged! The drinks (which of course did not have prices listed on the menu) cost almost 200 dollars alone! Ridiculous. We complained, but the waiter said there was nothing he could do. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!

And just FYI, the best "restaurants" in this country are not the ones that look like traditional restaurants, nor are they the ones next to huge tourist attractions (like Nuestra Tierra is).

1  Thank Britney G
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This place practically ruined my Costa Rican vacation! We had approximately 6 hours to kill before our connection bus to Manuel Antonio. We decided it might be a good idea to go into town to enjoy the 'city life.' Little did we know that San Jose lacked anything remarkably interesting or scenic .. We even asked a local and she blatantly responded, "Why would anyone drop you off here?" Anyhow .. The stupid tourist within us decided it was a good idea to listen to the taxi cab drivers (NEVER listen to them) and trust their recommendations of activities. We spent $25 on a one-way fare to this restaurant .. Now begins the review:

The food was overpriced ($$$). I don't know how a $40 dish between two people + 2 beers + 1 coffee = $67. I wished I took a picture of the receipt because I was so upset at the bill. The meat was dry and lacked any appropriate seasoning. For a $40 dish (their 'special'), it was mostly composed of onions with random speckles of pork, beef, and chicken, and a greedy serving of 3 pieces of plantains. The service was equally subpar. The waiters could not speak a lick of English and we were reliant on one server named Juan (his face incites so much anger!). When we finally interacted with the non-English speaking waiters and asked for water, we waited at least 15 minutes before the glass was brought (I checked the reviews before me .. Perhaps they charged an extra $5 for this 'water service').

.. Now, I live in NYC and I've been in some pricey restaurants, and never has the bill been so unjustifiably overpriced as it was here in Costa Rica, especially when LonelyPlanet said we could survive on $20-25/day per person for three meals. I feel so angry and helpless in that this form of 'scamming' is so readily executed and condoned. It's disgusting how unethical this restaurant is.

LESSON OF THE DAY: PLEASE DO NOT GO TO THIS RESTAURANT. THEY ARE THIEVES.

2  Thank jga0
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Food extremely overpriced, food of mediocre quality. Poor service - the waiter counted all of the money given with with the check bill by bill in front of our party. You could find substantially better quality food at much more reasonable prices at likely any Soda in San Jose.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

The first time I went to this place was a few years ago on my first visit to Costa Rica. My husband is originally from Costa Rica and we were with his family shopping across the street at the art market. It was convenient and seemed good. We have since then moved to Costa Rica and had some friends visiting from Arizona last year in October. I thought it would be fun taking them here. It was almost $50 per person on a lunch! I did not remember this being so expensive. Later I found through several people that they have had similar experiences. If you are a foreigner or go there with a foreigner, the menu you get is at least twice as much as the regular menu. The food is not that great and neither is the service.
They were recently in the local news for scamming people(Local) who complained the prices on their receipt were much higher than the prices listed on the menu(oops they forgot which menu they had given out!) This is what made me remember my experience. There are plenty of delicious, friendly restaurants all over the city- beware of this one!

1  Thank titadks