“Very Good French Food in a Lovely, Stately Hotel.”

Restaurante Grano de Oro
Ranked #2 of 620 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: French, Latin, European, Costa Rican, International
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Restaurant Grano de Oro merges Costa Rican tropical with European cuisine under the expertise of our French chef Francis Canal. Once a simple cafe, this restaurant has evolved into one of San Jose’s finest dining establishments, frequented by locals and tourists alike.Specialty cocktails, classically presented dishes and delicious desserts are served in the charming ambiance of a magnificent period home with an elegant inner courtyard. The bilingual wait staff provides professional and friendly service. Service is offered throughout the day from 7 am to 10 pm. Restaurant, patio and bar are non-smoking
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Very Good French Food in a Lovely, Stately Hotel.”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel has an open courtyard right in the middle, but it rained so we could not sit outside. I went with four other folks from the tour bus. We all said the meal was excellent. Service was a little spotty. House wine was perfect. I had an appetizer of Porcini mushrooms and Roquefort Brulee. Ummm, delicious. My entre was Costa Rican sea bass encrusted in Macadamia nuts. That too was excellent.

Visited August 2013

Santa Cruz, Costa Rica
“Good, but not excellent”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We have just come back from San Jose, where I took my family to Grano de Oro restaurant.
It was not my first visit: we stayed before in the hotel and had both breakfast and dinner at the restaurant.

Obviously, it is the restaurant for special occasions (when you want to impress somebody) with "New York" prices. Both the decor and atmosphere are beautiful; the courtyard is excellent to have breakfast when the weather is good.

On both occasions I was impressed by the level of service, which was of a very high standard.

I cannot say the same about the food. First, good things. Their small buns and trio of different butters are a pure delight - so fresh and tasty. Wine list is extensive with good selection. The winner is a duck breast , which was cooked to the perfection (duck is my favorite meat, I cook it myself, so can appreciate real quality). One person from our party had beef tenderloin, and apparently it was good as well.

However, we had two real disappointments. First one was a really expensive appetizer for what it was - Costa Rican snails in some strange green sauce. The portion was tiny, snails did not taste like snails at all (we know the taste of good snails). So, my advise - don't order this dish to avoid a real disappointment. Second huge disappointment was the leg of rabbit ordered by my son. I cook rabbit myself and very often, and the whole family loves this dish. Grano de Oro rabbit does not
taste like a rabbit, it taste like some sort of smoked pork. So, half of the portion was left untouched.

Forgot to mention champagne pâté as another appetizer we had - it was very ordinary.

We did not have any desert as we were too full (two helpings of these tasty buns contributed to it).
At the end, the bill was US$ 170.00 for two small appetizer, 3 main courses and a bottle of wine.

Will we come back? Most likely, not in the nearest future.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank olga9139
Maple Grove, MN
“Excellent food, but pricy”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We loved the food we ordered. It was a bit she she foo foo as far as style and quantity and certainly a bit spendy. To save $ we skipped alcohol but it was still expensive.

Visited August 2013
Dominical, Costa Rica
“Hidden Jewel in the Middle of San Jose”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have been going here for years. I used to go here before they remodeled during the 90's and can say that it was always a good meal. The mushroom pastry appetizer was always a treat and the gorgonzola filet mignon was a favorite of my travel buddy. The atmosphere since they remodeled is second to none. They have stained glass (from local artist Silvia Laks) that melds into the dark hand carved wood decor. It is unpretentious but at the same time conveys an "old world" feeling as though you are in a formal 1920's dining room. The only reason that I did not give five stars as I feel that the food quality slipped (a bit) when they remodeled (I know...typical). That being said, the service is impeccable (one of the waiters still remembers me even though I would only dine there every year) and there are many things on the menu that taste the same (blackberry margaritas anyone???). I love eating here for breakfast as the courtyard, laden with bromeliads and ornate heliconia flower decorations, teems with birds and butterflies (perhaps seeking refuge from the concrete, spartan surrounding neighborhood). The eggs benedict goes down quite nicely with the fresh fruit juice that is complimentary to the meal. Check out the gift shop for tasteful local (slightly overpriced) fare.

• Visited November 2012
Loudon, Tennessee
“Extremely Enjoyable Experience”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Thanks to Trip Advisor we were led to try this restaurant one weekday evening while in Costa Rica. The dining room is beautiful and the service was very attentive. We all enjoyed three courses and found menu entrees for everyone from - rabbit to fresh fish and pasta entrees. The desserts were well worth the extra calories. I would definitely visit there again.

• Visited April 2013