“Good for a curry”
Review of Tin Jo

Tin Jo
Ranked #5 of 681 Restaurants in San Jose
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our mission is to serve delicious, healthy food in an environment that is conducive to sharing and caring. We believe that food should nourish us physically, emotionally and spiritually. Our dishes are inspired from Asian countries: China, Japan, India, Indonesia, Thailand. We have an extensive vegetarian and vegan menu as well as a gluten free menu. Our Asian themed rooms gather together all the art work we have collected as well as those created by closed friends and frequent diners. Tin Jo is our third child and we are very involved owners. We love to interact with you, our customers and it is our sincere wish that your visit to our restaurant satisfies not only your senses but also uplifts your spirit. With Gratitude,Maria Hon and Robert Faulstich
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I went here just because I passed it walking from my hostel to the city centre.
Long established restaurant, very popular with the locals. They serve all types of Asian food and I ate the Indian chicken curry. Having been to all countries in South and Central America, I can honestly say that this one was in the top 3 Indian curries I've had (not particularly difficult to get into the top 3 but the food was still good)
Pricing was in the cheap-middle range but given the decor etc it's actually very good value.
My only criticism is that they only give a very small bowl of rice with the curry - but if you want more, you just have to ask and the extra is not charged for.
Close to a "very good Argentinian" restaurant - or so I've been told by several people here.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Being unfamiliar with the street and numbering system we had difficulty locating this restaurant which had been recommended to us. (Incorrect directions didn't help.) However, we were very warmly greeted once we finally got there. There is a lovely relaxed atmosphere which belies the efficient service. A very wide choice of dishes on the menu made it difficult to choose but we were more than happy with our selection.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Sought this place out on the advice of the manager of our hotel. Upon being seated, we waited 20 minutes before anyone brought us water or came to take our drink orders; then waited another 25 minutes for our drinks to arrive. When we complained to the manager, he stated, "I'll fix it", but never came back to see if our needs had been met. Throughout the meal, staff appeared less-than-enthused about serving us, although we watched as several surrounding tables continued to receive consistent attention. Food was good, but we didn't feel appreciated as customers, and so won't be back.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

We visited Costa Rica early April and San Jose was our last stop. After enjoying a week of the classic ‘rice and beans’ we were looking for a new cuisine to try. Being vegetarian, we searched online for a place with options for us. From our hotel near the airport, we took the local bus into the city of San Jose. After wandering the market, we searched for Tin Jo. As we walked along, some of the area looks a bit rundown and it was not as busy as the main streets. So, we walked a bit more and just as we thought to give up and head back to the main street, we found it! The exterior itself isn’t very large or fancy, so it could easily be passed up. Luckily we found it.

Once inside, we just loved the décor! We were seated to the left of the entrance, which has Indian motifs. One wall is covered with a large poster/photo of scenes from India, which we really loved. The atmosphere was just beautiful with the Indian art surrounding us and the table settings.

We ordered our vegetarian miso soup, another tofu dish, and a dessert. The main dishes were okay. We didn’t realize that dessert is not served after a certain time in the afternoon and you have to wait until dinnertime. However, the chef was nice enough to bring around a few options he had and let us choose one. This was a really good cake. We were glad we found the place and had a chance to try a new restaurant while visiting San Jose. Though the meal was just okay, the overall ambiance of the place was great. I would stop by again and maybe try some other varieties on the menu. What’s great is the menu has little symbols next to each meal indicating if he contains cheese, fish, eggs, etc. Great for anyone who has allergies or any other dietary restrictions.

1  Thank 4GTravels
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I do not eat out very often because I am a gourmet cook and hard to please. I would eat at this restaurant everyday if I lived in the neighbourhood. I, only, come to San Jose a couple of times a year, living in Cerro de la Muerte.
The food is exquisite, fresh, flavourful, to die for. Everything is unique and different. The menu very extensive, I believe it aims to please all walks of life. And reasonably priced.
My family of 5, all adults, ate appetizers, main dishes, beer for everyone and a bottle of wine. Total $125.00 USD.
The value for my dollar met all my expectations and the staff are super!!
Buen Provecho!!

Maria H, Owner at Tin Jo, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Hi Tolomuco,
We are SOOO Happy to read your review, especially because I know that in San Isidro de El General, there is wonderful organic fresh wholesome food. Your comment means so much to us. THANK you, thank you. I will let the cooks know. This will put a big smile on their lovely faces.

Thank you so much for your motivating words. Please come back next time you are in town and I hope to meet you personally.

With gratitude,