“A national treasure”
Review of Tin Jo

Tin Jo
Ranked #7 of 630 Restaurants in San Jose
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our mission is to serve delicious, healthy food in an environment that is conducive to sharing and caring. We believe that food should nourish us physically, emotionally and spiritually. Our dishes are inspired from Asian countries: China, Japan, India, Indonesia, Thailand. We have an extensive vegetarian and vegan menu as well as a gluten free menu. Our Asian themed rooms gather together all the art work we have collected as well as those created by closed friends and frequent diners. Tin Jo is our third child and we are very involved owners. We love to interact with you, our customers and it is our sincere wish that your visit to our restaurant satisfies not only your senses but also uplifts your spirit. With Gratitude,Maria Hon and Robert Faulstich
San Jose, Costa Rica
“A national treasure”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Strange that I would call an Asian restaurant a national treasure in Costa Rica but Tin Jo is among the best restaurants I have ever seen anywhere...and the price is well below comparable restaurants in places like New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. The menu is many pages long and includes dishes from China, India, Japan, Indonesia, Thailand, and Korea. All of them are well prepared and delicious. If you want to know my favorites, after having been to Tin Jo about 40 times now, I would say that you can't beat the Thai Eggplant Curry. The Thai Fish Curry is also delicious. The Indian Vegetable Curry is a basic rather than exotic kind of dish and is good if you're really hungry and want something filling with a lot of potatoes in it. One drink I highly recommend is the Mint Ginger "with bubbles." (Not to be confused with the Ginger Lemongrass w/o carbonation.) I find this so refreshing and health giving that I love to sip it slowly and just savor it. Esp. great on a hot day when you need to cool down a bit. If you have any concerns at Tin Jo, ask for John, the maitre-de. He speaks English and is usually there...he can help you with menu recommendations too. Oh, one more thing: each dining area has a different theme so you can sit in the Japan room, the Indonesia room, the India room, and so on. The owners have traveled all over Asia and brought back various pieces of art and decorations to make each room very special. The India room is where I would go with a date...very warm and inviting decor; the Indonesia room is the most exotic, while the Japan room, fitting to its cultural traditions, is simple, uncluttered, and has a lot of natural light, so it's nice for lunch or if you want to clear your mind and reduce your sensory stimulation.

• Visited March 2013
Dear Mr. Bornwithluggage,
Thank you so much for your lovely review. You have put a smile on all our faces. We are so happy that you enjoy your time with us. Beautiful notes like yours motivates us to continue doing our best in serving our guests. We truly appreciate you as our client. And if you ever have suggestions or constructive criticism about our food, service or ambiance, by all means, we would greatly appreciate your feedback.
Please ask for me next time you come (most times, i am in the kitchen assuring the quality of the food). I would very much enjoy meeting you in person.
Thank you again and we look forward to serving you soon again.
Maria

• Korean first
Montreal
“Decent food, decent price, great service”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was the only restaurant that we tried (at the recommendation of a local Costa Rican friend) on our short layover in San Jose. We were a big group (10 people) and they accepted our last minute reservations. Also various individuals in our group had dietary restrictions (i.e. vegans) and the menu was accommodating. The restaurant itself is nicely decorated and our waiter Jordan was very pleasant. All in all, our group was generally satisfied but nobody's dish in particular was a slam dunk. I had the pad thai, it was alright but much too salty. Other individuals in our group complained that their main dish was not warm enough by the time it was served. There is probably better out there in San Jose.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank travelover007
Dear Travelover007,
Thank you so much for your review of the Tin Jo. We are very happy that we were able to accommodate your last minute reservation and the dietary requirements of the vegan members of your party. We are also very happy that you liked the decoration of our Asian themed rooms and Jordan´s service. However, we are concerned that you did not find the food to your satisfaction. Our apologies to you.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention so that we can be more mindful of the salt level and the temperature of the dishes that we serve. Your note is very helpful. It is through constructive reviews with specific details like yours that we become aware of our shortcomings and are able to maintain and even improve our clients ´dining experiences. Even with 42 years of serving, we continue to learn and grow with our customers´ input.

So, once again, thanks for your input and we hope that you give us another chance should you visit Costa Rica again. We hope that on your next visit, not only will the service be great but the food be served to your satisfaction. Thank you.
Maria
San Jose, Costa Rica
“mmmmmm”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Everything is perfect! I enjoy it everytime I visit this place! Curry shrimp and curry with chicken are my favs!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Vivi H
Los Angeles, California
“Still one of my favorites”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have been to Tin Jo nearly every trip to San Jose. It is one of my favorites. It is like taking a short trip food-wise to Japan and SE Asia. The specific types of food are Thai, Japanese, Indian, and Chinese and because of that they do sport a vegetarian menu as well. You can sample curries from each of these countries. English is spoken here and all are very helpful as you decide what to try. The restaurant has several eating areas which are decorated in one of the country themes relative to the food. Reservations are recommended, but I have never experienced a problem getting seated without one. The restaurant and its manager Johnny are very friendly and helpful. Johnny goes out of his way to make sure everything is going well for you and to help you any way he can. It is great to be able to go one place and try different foods from around the world. They even help you match it up with the proper wine. Johnny often greets you personally and makes sure that everything from seating to your food is satisfactory. I believe all the waiters there also go the extra step to make the experience of the restaurant memorable. Some years ago Maria Hon, one of the owners, took the time to visit with me as well when she learned of my travels to these countries. When you have owners who care to do their very best for you, it is not hard to understand why you enjoy their restaurant. It is one of my favorites and I never tire of trying new things there. Prices are very reasonable and the entire dining experience is excellent.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank togbulldog
Dear Togbulldog,
We are delighted to read your note! It is always such a pleasure to serve you.
I hope we can always continue to please you and that you continue to bring your wonderful warm presence to our place.
If we ever mess up or if you have suggestions, please, we would greatly appreciate your input.
Thanks again and a big hug from all of us at Tin Jo.
maria.
kiwithebird
“fun”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Great fun atmosphere. I like that each room is a different Asian country. The food was good, fresh and tasty. The owner, Maria, is the perfect hostess making even a single guest feel honored.

Visited January 2013