“They didn´t respect our reservation”
Review of Casa 69

Casa 69
Ranked #1 of 69 San Jose B&B and Inns
“They didn´t respect our reservation”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

As we arrived at night, they told us they didn´t have any room for us. They took us to another hotel where they supposedly reserved a room for us, but that hotel didn´t have that other reservation. So, we ended waking with our bags searching for a new hotel. We didn´t see much of the hotel (But be aware of the train. It makes a lot of noise every 20 minuts)

Room Tip: Look another option
Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gsolanof
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Our policy requires that we receive payment to guarantee a reservation.
The best way to do this is to book and prepay your reservation through our web site. These reservations are given priority.
We did not receive payment from you. As such we did not hold your room. We did however find you alternate accommodations at a nearby hotel with a similar Trip Advisor rating and Award of Excellence.
One of our staff took you to not one but two other hotels to get you settled. The first hotel had rooms but you rejected it insisting you wanted to stay at ours.
I am sorry you were not happy with these arrangements, however we did everything we could to help you under the circumstances.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
London
Reviewed March 15, 2014

My boyfriend and I had a great stay for two nights at Casa 69. We arrived very late at night but there is a 24 hour reception which was ideal. We had booked a deluxe room and it was lovely, just how it looks on the pictures. There was a fridge and a safe in the room which was an added bonus. The location is average - about a 20 minute walk to the sights such as the national theatre. Breakfast every day was simple but great - the coffee is fabulous! In general there was a nice relaxed atmosphere, and the staff were extremely helpful. There are a lot of cats that live there too but they're very docile and sweet.

Room Tip: Go deluxe - it's worth it!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Florida, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I went to Costa Rica this year for the very first time, I search online and found this cozy sweet home-hotel, I stayed at Casa 69 for week, although I wish I could've stay longer but I need to work too. I arrived at night and it seems to be a lot of places to go out, in the front desk I met the owner who was really nice and helpful, she show me how to get to the most exotic and interesting places in town, also recommended me a restaurant right behind the hotel, delicious peruvian cuisine I had never try, but if you are looking for a quiet place you should try the mountains or coast because this place it's located in the city where the train goes by and makes a little noise sometimes, but you can have a noise machine which can help you sleep better, also you can use a computer in the main room, the room was so fancy and clean, the breakfast was delicious and the staff really helpful, I just can't wait to come back again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Lisa H
Rockwood, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We spent 4 nights at Casa 69. I arranged for airport pick up and everything went smoothly. Juan was very professional.
Our hotel stay was very enjoyable. The hotel is located 15 minutes walking from the downtown concourse and there are a number of museums and other sites in the area. There are also some good restaurants nearby. The Peruvian and Gioconde were our favorites.
My room was clean, very nicely decorated, and the bed comfortable. The rooms are not huge, but since the price is half of what we saw at other hotels, it was a very good value. The breakfast of fruit, baguette, coffee, and preserves was very nice. We found that it was enough to keep us until lunch.
The rooftop patio is a great place to relax and enjoy the sunshine which we craved after enduring this year’s winter in Canada. The view at night was exceptional
We worked with Donna to make a number of arrangements as well as get recommendations. Donna was pleasant and very helpful. Her and the staff worked very hard to make our stay memorable, esp. the young man on nights, Memo, and they succeeded.
I worked in the Hotel industry when I went to university and it can be very demanding. It is amazing what people will do for you when you treat them with a little kindness (Same way I want to be treated). Donna and her staff exceeded my expectations on service. I cannot say enough about them. All in all I would highly recommend Casa 69, especially from the value perspective. We booked here again when we returned to San Jose to fly back to Canada.

Room Tip: The upper room units are brighter but the trade off is a little more road noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Poznań
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I personally found Casa 69 only good. My greatest problem was the communication with the owner Donna. I booked several nights in Casa 69 using booking.com and Expedia so just to be on the safe side I asked Donna to confirm my bookings. She avoided answering my question directly and each time I sent her my request to confirm my booking status I received a template email. In the end I was forced to cancel my further booking (I lost money on the conversion) and look for a different hotel.
I noticed Donna spends a lot of time writing long replies to negative feedback and is not able/willing to confirm the booking made not directly with her.

The pros of the place:
- well located – walking distance to downtown of approx. 15 min
- comfortable room and bed (+ a reading light)
- the area felt safe (even though it didn’t look nice)
- friendly and helpful staff
- good price for San Jose

Cons:

- no lock on the bathroom door
- too many animals around
- the owner

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BalifloraPozna_
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Nice little B&B located about 12 blocks from Mercado Central. Street appeal wasn[t the best but security was very good. Staff was helpful, especially Winston who spoke English reasonably well. The Breakfast was a great treat with fresh fruits, fruit juice, and excellent Sour Dough Bread. You could add eggs or omelets for a reasonable $5. Stayed in one of the lower units originally then moved to one of the upper units where it was much brighter. The upper units had a little more road noise and the morning train comes by honking so you know its time to get up. The price was very reasonable and the location was great if you want to check out the downtown San Jose area.

Room Tip: The upper level units were a lot brighter than the lower level.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
NYC
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I did not enjoy my time here. The owner wasn't friendly AT ALL. It wasn't very close to downtown. Breakfast was good, and the wait staff were awesome. But I wish I had stayed somewhere else. Next time I'm in San Jose, I'll spend more money on a nicer place in the heart of downtown.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo