“Great value for location and friendly staff”
Review of Casa 69

Casa 69
Ranked #1 of 66 San Jose B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We had the opportunity to stay at the Casa 69 on two separate occasions on our 2 week trip in Costa Rica. Each was for one night. Each time we found the staff very friendly and the rooms were basic, but clean. If you can upgrade from the basic room you should as it's only a few dollars difference but the upgraded rooms are more spacious. The road out front can be a little loud in the morning as there are trucks driving by honking consistently.

There are newer reviews for Casa 69

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I showed up with a fully paid reservation and after 6 hours of driving to get here and Donna had given my room away. Tired and confused I was told they had a sister hotel next door with a room for me. This place was horrible, dirty, smelly, super noisy, no toilet paper or towels in the bathroom, no wifi... I told them this was not ok because I paid for a room of much higher quality and with all these amenities and it took an hour for them to finally realize this wasn't fair and to decide to give me a refund. I then had to figure out where to go and it is already late and I am very tired and don't know where I am. I asked that they pay for my taxi to another hotel to make up for this mess up and because I had already paid a taxi to bring me here to begin with and Donna said no. All-in-all a horrible experience and I will be telling everyone I know that this is place is not a good choice and offers horrible service to their guests.

Room Tip: They sell you a room in a lesser hotel and tell you that you will be staying in a very nice room at...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Sorrel W
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Thank you for your review. I would like to add to your comments.

Firstly we do not sell off rooms to a lesser Hotel. In this case we had just come through several weeks of systems issues with the internet at the Hotel. Much of the time, the system was down. Our computer tech struggled with the problem and despite charging us a lot of money we finally had to fire him and bring in another. It is now working.

During that time of no internet access we missed a lot of emails. When we finally understood that we were overbooked for that day it was too late to notify people to make alternate arrangements.
We worked with several downtown Hotels to find alternate accommodations but most were fully booked. The Hotel we offered was the only one left available in the area. When you indicated that was not satisfactory, we issued you a refund but not until after we tried some of the Hotels again to see if they had any last minute cancellations since we had last talked to them.

Overbooking is stressful for both the guest and the Hotel. We have the cheapest rates in downtown San Jose. We are also very clean, comfortable, and offer very good customer service.
When we overbook, we lose money as we now have to find alternate accommodations at more expensive Hotels. Yes, even the one you found unsatisfactory has higher rates than us.

Your allegations that we sell rooms then send people to a cheaper Hotel is unfounded. There are no cheaper rooms to send you to. As such, running an establishment in the manner you describe would put us out of business very soon.

I am sorry for the way your booking turned out. It was an unfortunate set of circumstances that led to this happening.

The other hotel is not a sister Hotel and we cannot control how they choose to operate. We can only offer what is available, and if that is not suitable, a refund.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stayed here three nights at beginning of my trip to CR. Delightful place, clean, comfortable, secure. Great breakfast and very friendly staff. I recommend Casa 69 and will stay there again. Close to San Jose, (15 min. walk), shopping, and restaurants

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Betty O
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Casa 69 is a lovely little property within easy walking distance of downtown San Jose and just a few minutes walk from the National Museum and craft market. The rooms are comfortable, good TV, internet, and free calls to US and Canada which was a nice perk. Breakfast is unlimited fruit, juice, coffee and delicious bread. There are eggs etc for $5 extra, but we rarely felt we needed it. We booked through expedia and had no trouble with our reservation. Because I had read others had had trouble, I brought my receipt and asked the owner about it. She said sometimes the e-mail and/or name that people use on the booking sites is not the same as either how they pay or the name they give when arriving, or she has no response to confirmation e-mail. When we booked for another night at another point in our trip, we booked under my husband's name. On arrival, they looked for my name and didn't see it, but we cleared it up right away. I would suggest that however you book, send a confirmation e-mail to them with all details and they will respond. They are generally very helpful. Service is good and efficient, and our rooms were great. They got taxis for us which arrived within 5 minutes and all was well. We were especially delighted with Rafael who was managing when we were there. He was helpful, personable, efficient, and completely bilingual.

Room Tip: There is a train which goes by noisily, It never bothered us where we were, but you could mention...
1  Thank Joyce D
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

You may see all the great reviews on TripAdvisor and make a confirmed booking online through Booking.com or another site. Then, when you arrive after a long day of driving, Casa 69 may say they have no record of your reservation, and no rooms available. Worst of all, they may say it's your problem.

That's what happened to us. After much back and forth with the desk clerk, and then phone calls to the manager and owner - all of whom were puzzlingly unhelpful and unsympathetic - the desk clerk finally admitted to us that the hotel's policy is to overbook rooms, like the airlines do with seats.

The owner eventually called a nearby hotel and found us another room. We were happy to not be turned out into the night, but the new place was noisy and less than comfortable.

Such shady practices tend to make one wonder whether all the positive reviews of Casa 69 are legit. If you do book at this hotel, be sure to call ahead and verify that an actual room is waiting for you.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nevertoomanymiles
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

Firstly, we do not intentionally overbook. There are times when we are overbooked due to an error on our part, but as overbooking is an extremely stressful situation for us as well, we do not do it intentionally.

When that does happen we try our best to work with our guest to find them alternate accommodations.

You booked through Booking.com. Their system seems to confuse some people. They take the credit card number of people who book through them. I am not sure why, however, they do outline on the information that they send to the guest that they need to make payment directly to the Hotel. Booking.com does not collect money for our Hotel.

We also follow up all bookings through them with an email to the guest that explains our expectations. Guests must prepay their booking through our web site to be guaranteed a room.

Some people may not see this email, some may choose to ignore it, but most correspond with us and things go very well.

We have not been with Booking.com for that long, however I have sent them an email asking if they have other processes we may implement that may cause less confusion. This system is different from other third party booking agencies so people may not fully understand it.

I am sorry that we did not have a room for you on that date. We hate turning people away. We are a beautuful small hotel with some of the best rates in the city and excellent service. As such, we are sometimes very popular.

I hope this makes the situation clearer as I do not feel that your rating is truly reflective of the service we offer

Reviewed January 5, 2014

While the area around the hotel seems less than savory, inside is a paradise of fresh breakfast and wonderful hosts in a beautiful two-building setting! Everyone is quick, eager, and available to help.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We booked our room months in advance through paypal and upon arrival we were told that they had no record of us. The young man working the desk was very apologetic and arranged a room at a nearby hotel. The hotel they took us to was terrible. It was dirty noisy and uncomfortable. The staff in the morning was not interested in trying to compensate us in anyway and was very unhelpful. We were told that it was too bad our stay was so terrible because some guests had not shown up and there was a room available after all!

They asked if we needed a ride to the airport. We thought this was an attempt to make it up to us. When the cab arrived we were told we had to pay for it and the man at the desk didn't even remember ordering the cab.

When we got home we received an email from the owner insisting that it was our fault and that they had double checked their records. We have the paypal receipt and the statement on our credit card. It was a terrible last night to an otherwise lovely Costa Rica trip. I regret that I wasn't confident enough to demand my money back.

2  Thank Sergei D
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

You booked a room for one night in January on Aug 27, 2013. At that time we responded, that for us to hold your room it needed to be prepaid.

On Sept 17 your husband sent through the payment for the booking under his name (totally different) and his email address.

Our files are based on names and email addresses. We can find anything with the right name or email address.

You booked and paid three weeks apart with two totally different names and two totally different email addresses.

We responded to the payment by sending an email to your husband asking him for the information needed to match it to the reservation. We never received a response.

We asked for your help, you did not provide any. How were we supposed match it up? Then when I contacted you to investigate what happened you were not very cooperative and didn't want to help unless I was offering compensation.