“San Jose's Charming Oasis: CASA 69!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Casa 69
Ranked #1 of 67 San Jose B&B and Inns
Delray Beach, Florida
“San Jose's Charming Oasis: CASA 69!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I could not have been more pleased with my choice of B & B's! I was impressed with the warmly welcoming staff, the charming comfortable immaculate rooms, the delectable breakfast with a variety of tropical fruits, French bread with exotic preserves and butter, freshly squeezed juices, and oh!!! steaming cups of that famous Costa Rican coffee!
The ambiance is so cozy, you feel as if you were visiting good friends in their artistically-decorated home, along with many other satisfied friends! An abundance of beautiful foliage and flowers, arched doorways, pleasant little nooks in which to chat or read or decide which tours to take! Located just minutes away from downtown, it makes for a pleasant stroll for sightseeing and shopping. I will definitely return to this charming oasis!!!

Room Tip: Maybe the third floor rooms with that spectacular view from its deck...!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Rennes, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I spent one week at Casa 69. My global view is that it is an excellent option. It is classified as a Bed & Breakfast, but you must see it as a hotel with a very good price, thus an excellent price/quality ratio. Nice basic continental breakfast, but you can add different complements for 5 USD. For going to the hotel, they have a taxi associated with the hotel; call them and the taxi picks you at the airport for 25 or 30 USD. Around the hotel you have several places to eat, and others to have a drink, less than 1 block distance. Strongest point: the quality of people working there, and their kindness. San José down-time is reached after 20min walking, very easy. Only negative point: nothing interesting around if you walk more than 1 block from the hotel, no animation, which means that nobody walks out at night. Use taxis instead, very affordable there. The room was ok, in the first floor, with WiFi working normally all the week. I will stay there again, for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building (there are two of them, on both sides of the street), at the gro...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Pros:
- Large room
- Sitting area
- Small fridge in room
- Front desk guys speak English and were extremely helpful with booking tours, calling taxis and giving directions (Thanks Ronald and the young guy Who worked the night shift!)
- Free breakfast! Included bread and 2 different jams, fruit, coffee and juice.
- Price
- Computer, printer and magic jack in the lobby available for guest use.

Cons:
- No ac in room (there is a calling fan)
- The safe in my room did not open. I asked multiple times for it to be looked at, but nothing ever came of it. Ended up having to take my passport with me everywhere.
- The hotel is down a little alley off the main road. Not sure how safe it is at night, but as a solo, female traveler, I was not comfortable walking alone after dark.
- That being said, the hotel is a little distance away from where you want to be - in terms of museums and the theatre.
- The owner has his dogs and many cats roaming freely. There is a bit of smell, likely from the animals. The animals are friendly though.
- There is a train track running right behind the hotel. Can be a bit loud at times.
- Wireless internet signal strength is not very good unless you're in the lobby.

Overall, I'd say it's a good deal. I would stay here again, if the safe would work. Definitely not comfortable walking around with my passport. Also, I probably wouldn't book my tours through the hotel since they were a bit more expensive than you could find elsewhere. Not a bad deal. Also, cab to and
from the airport was $30 each way.

• Stayed July 2013
Sausalito, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

We absolutely LOVED our stay at Casa 69. I wish we could have stayed longer and I definitely will make it my base for future San Jose trips.

Exceedingly friendly, generous, and helpful staff. Exceptionally clean and well-furnished rooms for the price (I'm very picky about these things and I run a guesthouse myself, so I was impressed!). Very cozy common areas with a delightful atmosphere! We had a wonderful room, and everyone there were fabulous. We are wild cat conservationists, so we were happy to see half a dozen cats lounging around the collective areas. Big comfortable living room cozy couches, TV and Wi-Fi, a desktop computer and printer that came in handy. It felt like hanging out at a friend's house. The staff and other guests were great. It was a proper bed and breakfast.

Tips: If you need a strong wi-fi signal, get a room closer to the ground floor, as the higher you get, the weaker the signal. We couldn't get a signal from our room on the top floor. Also, the city noise isn't bad, but there is a train that passes by a couple of times a day that makes a little "toot toot" noise from time to time, but it didn't detract from our enjoyment of the space.

All in all, we highly, highly recommend the place!

Room Tip: I would tell you to get a room on the top floor, but I'm not going to because I want it to be av...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Mateo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

This hotel is very convenient to many attractions in downtown San Jose, walking distance. The staff is friendly and very helpful. I took their advice on a whitewater trip and it was one of the highlights of my trip. I walked to most places and felt safe day or night, but the cab rides are inexpensive since the hotel is close to most everything you'll want to go to.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

It was our first trip to Costa Rica. A buddy and I were there for the Central America travel experience, and initially landed in San Jose. We has a referral through a friend to stay at Casa 69, which is centrally located in San Jose. It was the only thing we booked next to the flight down. The plan was to travel without reservations. We were met at the airport by a very friendly associate of the hotel, who welcomed us and drove us to the hotel in a shuttle bus. The staff at the hotel were equally friendly, and provided us with a comfortable accommodations, and plenty of information on sites to visit, currency exchange, transportation information and different options to travel by. We further met and visited with the hotel owner Donna, who provided us with a very warm welcome and an insight to the local culture and to travel tips. The room accommodations were great, with all the amenities you need. There were all the options available for room sizes, number of beds per room, as well as staying in the main building or across the road at a secondary building. There was a friendly little pub down on the corner from the hotel, which provided a variety of drinks and food items. The hotel itself has a lobby computer and phone, that provided free international calling which was quite convenient.
Very flexible access to the international airport through the shuttle service, makes the stay in the City worthwhile, instead of having to stay in the industrial area around the airport. There is so much more to see and do locally downtown.
A high recommendation for this hotel accommodation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank pistolman666
Berlin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stay at Casa 69 going to and from my property in southern Costa Rica. It is a ten minute walk from everything in the city center, museums, parks, shopping, restaurants. I walk everywhere and always feel safe. At nine pm university students are leaving classes on Central Ave. near the hotel. The hotel arranges for Juan to meet me at the airport and he is cheaper than any taxi you might pick from the crowd. He will also take you to the airport at 4 in the morning if necessary. Donna and David are great hosts and the staff are very helpful and friendly. Free use of hotel computer, free phone calls and an ATM just around the corner add to the convenience. The free breakfast easily holds me till lunch. There's a great Peruvian restaurant around the corner and more on Central avenue with small two and three table "sodas" even in the center, offering large daily specials (casadas) for $5 or less. I won't stay anywhere else. I just ignore the train.

Room Tip: The rooms next to the Irish Pub can be noisy on weekends.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Stan K