Hotel Casa 69
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Colonial(San Jose)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Dona Ines(San Jose)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsb bthe main housecosta ricarooftop patiocontinental breakfast isfresh fruitqueen roompizza hutcommuter traincoffee and juicea great place to staylate at nightheart of san josenational museuman oasissmall hotelcentral america
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 29, 2013

we reached the 69 casa after a hard flight and without one suitcase that the flight company forgot. The personal in the hotel helped us allot, called the flight company and didn't stop helping us in other things like renting a car and advising us about our trip in Costa Rica.
The room was great, clean and comfortable, and the breakfast was nice and fulfilling.
We strongly recommend Casa 69.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Casa 69 is hard to review in some ways. It's clean, the staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms were comfortable, although we could have used air conditioning. Breakfasts were wonderful, and the gardens were nice to enjoy while eating breakfasts or enjoying a cup of coffee. The cats and dogs that roam the outside area are a fun addition and never caused a bit of trouble.

The one downside is the area, it's kind of seedy, but it's hard for me to judge, we were only there for three days and it may just be that all of San Jose is seedy. The streets are strewn with trash, there is razor wire or bars on every window, etc.

We never had any problems, we walked to restaurants in the evenings (there are not many restaurants nearby, and the ones we tried were not that great). However, Monday mornings, the embassy on the corner becomes MOBBED with people, and they totally take over the street that the hotel is on, this is hard to walk through, and impossible to drive through.

It's hard to hold a hotel accountable for it's neighbors and things that really are out of the control of management--especially when the management is so kind and helpful. One thing that could be improved is wi-fi signal strength--on the second floor it really does not work so well.

Room Tip: the wi-fi upstairs did not work so well, it was fine on the first floor
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Casa 69 is one of the quirkiest, more unique hotels I've ever experienced. It has beautiful gardened courtyards and unique, comfortable rooms. The included breakfast is also delicious and filling. Very affordable price, as well.

The reason for my "average" rating likely stems in part from my own naivety regarding San Jose and a lack of preparedness. The GPS coordinates listed on the Casa 69 website sent us a few blocks away; after driving around for 30 minutes, we eventually had to got out and walk around the neighborhood for an additional 30 minutes to find it (on a very small side street, the only sign was on a door embedded in a high wall. So ask for detailed driving directions before you arrive, and do not rely solely on your GPS. Also, street parking is very hard to come by, so ask for the $10/day hotel parking space when you reserve.

The staff working the day we stayed spoke very little English, and I am embarrassed to admit that I speak very little Spanish. We therefore had some communication issues. The woman who checked us in also seemed quite unfriendly, but perhaps it was the language barrier? Regardless, we chose to spend the majority of our stay in our bedroom. While our room itself was very nice and spacious with unique, French-Riviera decorations, it was VERY LOUD, even after closing the window (which resulted in a very hot, very stuffy room). The train noise (whistle, chugging) woke me out of a dead sleep numerous times, and noise from a local bar and guests socializing just outside of our door stayed loud into the early morning. I understand that Casa 69 is located downtown in a major city, so noise will come with the territory. But I have stayed in many cities across the US, Canada, and Europe, and this was the loudest hotel room I can remember. After our stay, I learned that the hotel offers white noise machines, but I was unaware of this while we were staying; I definitely wish I had used one.

In summary, if you're planning to site-see a lot in downtown San Jose, Casa 69 is a nice choice for lodging, provided you come with good directions and an awareness of the noise. If you're just looking for a place to stay before or after a San Jose flight (as we were), it might be less hassle to just stay closer to the airport in a quieter hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the room furthest away from the train. Or ask for ear plugs or a noise machine.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank S_Raines8
Reviewed June 23, 2013

On my trip to Monte Verde I stayed at casa 69 with my girlfriend, it was a nice house that really makes you feel like at home, we arrived pretty late and it was party out of the hotel, probably for the weekend, a young guy called Memo welcome us and help us to not getting lost for going out having a dinner in a delicious Peruvian restaurant in the next corner, then we bring a snack to him for helping us and he was so funny that we stayed like a couple of hours playing cards in the living room, have a nice time with him, now we have a new friend in Costa Rica. The room was really clean and relaxing, just the train make some noise but just sometimes, we were lucky to have a really quiet room that help us to sleep even with the party outside the hotel, it did not bother us at all, in the morning we have a great breakfast with delicious fresh fruit, and the staff was very attentive during breakfast and help us to get a taxi to the bus stop, but unfortunately we did not want to leave, it was my second time in Costa Rica but the next time I will stay there again!

1  Thank James L
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed for just a night and left early in the morning. The room was large, clean and full of character. There were several places nearby to eat, but (at least this part of ) San Jose wasn't the sort of place to hang out at night. The rooms are close to the railway track which was a bit noisy. We also had a lot of trouble actually finding the place (we were driving ourselves) and one of the roads was blocked by a lot of Nicaraguans outside the nearby embassy.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family