“Casa 69, My home in San Jose, Costa Rica”
Review of Casa 69

Casa 69
Ranked #1 of 66 San Jose B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I spent a couple of days in San Jose at the beginning and end of my trip to Costa Rica, staying at Casa 69. Even before I arrived the owners and staff were helping me navigate the Costa Rican culture and plan the rest of my trip.
When I arrived Ralph made me feel right at home. The hotel feels more like a home than a hotel. The atmosphere is as relaxed and friendly there as the decor is lively and fun.
Ralph and the rest of the staff not only helped me to settle in, they also helped me make reservations for transport and activities elsewhere in Costa Rica, and suggested places to visit or see in the City. Ralph gave me a couple of recommendations for restaurants that were excellant, one of which became my regular lunch spot while I was in the City. I could walk from the Casa 69 to just about anything I needed, and I felt safe on my own even in the evening.
I loved Costa Rica and hope to return again some day. And I will definitely start my next visit at Casa 69 in San Jose.

4  Thank Margaret B
There are newer reviews for Casa 69

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Bottom line-I'd stay here again.
Neutral - Basic room with all the necessities, I had to get used to half the hotel being located across the narrow street and the keys/codes needed to enter each half
Pros - Downtown, can schedule tours from their web site, tours pick up at hotel, secure, very friendly staff, several american restaurants nearby for the less adventurous eaters, clean
Cons - TV is old and near the ceiling and strangely located, train came nearby early in the morning several days, with downtown-you should be prepared for some nighttime noises

2  Thank ALtraveler64
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was my first time in Costa Rica and the staff and owner of Casa 69 made it that much better. Donna, the owner, is amazing and did everything she could to make my stay special and perfect! Her staff, Ralph, Enrique, and Ray all were helpful and knowledgeable. The daily free breakfast was very nice and healthy. Casa 69 is a very cute, quiet, clean, and centrally located place for those that have not traveled to Costa Rica before. I highly recommend Casa 69 to anyone. The price is right. The staff are AMAZING! I will stay here again when I return to Costa Rica. Pura Vida!

Room Tip: Any room is a good room!
1  Thank Billy10_78
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Very charming and pleasant room tastefully decorated.

The first morning we were in the reception area next to the dinning room table waiting for coffee. It was amazing to see so many cats! However, not too appetizing to observe a feline on the table eating next to the bread which was just delivered. To make matters worse, a cat hurried by with what appeared to be a rodent in it's mouth and that did a lot to thwart our appetites.

The second and last day we put the previous episode from the day before behind us and sat down for breakfast. A clump of feline hair on my breakfast plate mixed in with my fried eggs simply nauseated me.

Too make matters worst, my fiancée was wearing black trousers, the back side covered with car hair from sitting on the living room sofa.

We are a polite and humble couple and said nothing about these experiences to the staff, especially because they are so kind, friendly helpful and seem to fear for their jobs. Apparently the owner is arrogant and a tough lady to please, so the story goes.

We loved the location and the rate is very good. It has the potential to become an excellent bed and breakfast. You already know the rest of the story.

• Stayed: December 2012
6  Thank Counselor101
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

We currently have 3 cats. One is almost 15 years old and stays in my room. The two you probably saw, Mango and Papaya, are 2 short haired mischievous kittens, not yet a year old. All are rescues. The 2 are only there temporarily until they get moved to our house.

In response to your comments I would like to state the following:
We do not feed the cats on the dining room table. This is a table for paperwork and not even in the same room where guests eat. The bread is bought fresh every morning and is brought directly into the kitchen.

There are many open garden areas at the Hotel. It is possible that a mouse has made it's way into those areas, however we are not seeing evidence of this as cat's kill mice but do not eat them.

The pots and pans that are used to cook the food for guests are hung on hooks or kept in cupboards when not being used. No opportunity for tufts of cat hair to land on them

It is difficult for me to understand how a cook and server could miss orange cat fur on white eggs and plates

I am not sure of your definition of covered when talking about cat hair on your fiancee's pants as everything in the common areas is cleaned and dusted by the staff daily.

I must admit that I am disappointed in your silence at the issues you mention in this review. Ralph, our Concierge, spends time each morning talking to guests looking for feedback, both good and bad. We want to provide the best service, and the opportunity to be able to deal with issues as they arise. At that time we can investigate concerns properly and make things right if it is needed. A month later it is far more difficult.

You explained that you are humble and don't like to complain in person. Apparently your humble approach does not extend to a public forum.

As for my staff, they are excellent, and they know it!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Casa 69 for the last night of our honeymoon. It was fantastic. The room was clean and spacious and most of all charming.

First, the public part of the hotel is beautiful. When you enter the hotel, it feels like walking into someone's well-appointed living room. The room has plush couches and is well-decorated. It feels homey and nice, and the staff's pleasant demeanor adds to this perception. Then, on your way to your room, you pass through an enclosed courtyard that has been given an opaque roof, which lends it a feeling of airiness and space. The sounds of the city come through this part of the hotel slightly, but if you're a city kid like me, that's a tremendously comforting feeling. If you keep walking up the stairs, you'll eventually get to a small roof-top garden with a table and chars where you can look out over the city.

The rooms themselves are also quite pleasant. The room was clean and spacious, and the shower had good pressure and hot water (at least most of the time). But there were also small gestures by the staff that made the difference between a good hotel and a great one. For example, the maids left our blanket folded into a design, rather than just flopped down on the bed.

It was clear that the staff cared about providing a pleasant and individualized experience for every person who stayed at the hotel. The night we stayed at Casa 69, the night manager (whose English was somewhat limited) suggested that we visit the Zapote district, where there was a huge carnival, complete with rides and a rodeo. We would never have thought of that ourselves, so we were really grateful to him for the suggestion. For people worried about not being able to speak Spanish, the daytime manager (whose name unfortunately escapes me right now) grew up in the United States and his English is flawless.

Now, for the less wonderful parts:

1. The hotel only accepts cash at the desk, so make sure you have some. There's an ATM about 2 blocks away from the hotel if your pockets are empty, or you can pay ahead of time via Paypal from the hotel website.

2. The hotel is in downtown San Jose, but it's not right on the Avenida Central. But there are a bunch of very nice restaurants right by the hotel.

3. The included breakfast is bread and fruit. If you want more, it will cost you about $5 per person. But the additional stuff we ordered (bacon and eggs) was very tasty.

Still, staying at Casa 69 is a good deal! It cost us about half of what we were paying for Hotel Presidente. For a place with infinitely more charm, it was a price I was glad to pay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Benjamin S
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I travel Costa Rica often and stayed at Casa 69 several times. About 18 months ago it was a gem of a guest house and we enjoyed the atmosphere immensely. Everything changed with the new Canadian owner. She's a busy body and made my most recent stay like living with my mother. Not very good for guests unless she's away. Truthfully, it seems she's up late and awakens early to do a bed check. It you say, "Good morning" to her, she's stuck for an answer. Under the circumstances the guest house is too small and not very friendly except for the cook and other employees.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank CNNiReporter
Casa69, Owner at Casa 69, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Normally I would thank you for your feedback, however your remarks appear to be more of a personal vendetta than a review. The idea that I would have the time or the inclination to monitor the comings and goings of my guests, or conduct whatever a "bed check " might be is quite frankly, ridiculous.

My time is spent dealing with running a 24 hr a day, 365 days a year 17 room B&B. There is enough work with daily activities to keep me extremely busy, while Ralph does an excellent job handing the customer service. How I could fit being a "busybody" into my daily schedule is beyond me.

Over the past 18 months Casa 69 has been a home away from home for literally thousands of people. 93% of our reviews recommend us. Your comments make no sense and are so far from the reality, I can only conclude you have ulterior motives.

I will however agree with you that my staff is awesome, and do a fantastic job with customer service. Most have been with me for the full 18 months I have been here and are like my family in Costa Rica.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Lovely hotel, my favorite to stay at San Jose, I wish i could stay more days there. Regards to all the guys there specially Rafael and Lola.
Room number 1 was great I want that room next time, is next to the street but I didn't have problems to sleep, and the room was great I love it.

Room Tip: Room number 1 was great I want that room next time, is next to the street so can be a bit noisy but...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple