“Safe and Simple”

Reviewed February 21, 2008

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank doesit
Reviewed February 17, 2008

The hotel's website seemed to good to be true. That's when I turned to Trip Advisor and realized the many positive reviews. I won't repeat the many reviews already on here because or sentiments are the same. Although we thought this was primarily a gay establishment, it's really more gay friendly and the variety of people staying at this 4 room inn while we were there was evident. The place is just "charming" and within walking distance of downtown.
A job well done boys! Now, if i could only convince my partner that San Jose is worth another visit! Ugh.

Lino & Darrell

2  Thank bari_brand
Reviewed February 11, 2008

My wife and I and another couple needed a place to stay near the airport at each end of our trip. We chose this place, which is about half an hour from the airport, because of the good reviews. It is certainly not the closest one to the airport but the friendly atmosphere, good accomodation and the willingness to help out more than made up for that slight inconvenience.

We arrived late, tired and hungry. The host made us reservations at an excellent restaurant and then drove us there. On the return trip we were not too late but the host was equally accomodating and again made us reservations and drove us to a different, but equally good, restaurant. He also arranged for a cab for us for 6 AM the next morning. Despite our early departure, coffee and juice were waiting for us at checkout.

The rooms were pleasant; clean and comfortable. The full breakfasts were fresh and enjoyable - plenty of food.

The owner is renovating another house across the street to expand the number of rooms. If he can keep the present quality and personality of the place (and I am sure he can) that will give more people the chance to stay in one of the best B&Bs that I've ever stayed in.

1  Thank Redtrail
Reviewed January 28, 2008

I found this B&B online. I wanted and alternative to a standard hotel and I could not have been more pleased! The place was safe and close enough to walk to a lot of places including the pedestrian mall downtown. It was very clean and the beds comfortable with private bathrooms. The owner was very helpful with booking tours and giving advise about where to go in San Jose. If you plan on staying in San Jose, I highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank jkmorris101
Reviewed January 17, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at Casa 69 for about a week in late January and found it just enchanting. I have traveled to Costa Rica over 25 times in my life, and have stayed in countless hotels and Casa 69 is by far the best hotel I have EVER stayed at in San Jose. We really felt "at home" with Kurt and his wonderful doggies - in fact we opted to stay there longer than planned just because we felt so comfortable. The reasons I believe it to be the best are as follows: 1) The breakfast is literally incredible- Kurt makes everything fresh to order- fresh fruit, meats, juicy omlettes, fresh bread and jam and good strong coffee 2) The rooms are clean, softest sheets ever (seriously), and the water is hot (there is an ajustable temp, not just really hot or freezing cold like most places) the beds were comfortable- we slept very well. 3) In a VERY safe neigborhood, right next to an Embassy so no worries about safety which can be a concern in other hotels, this leads me to number 4) location- right between downtown and the malls and shops in san pedro, easy to get buses and taxis but remarakably quiet for the capital. 5) We felt welcomed by Kurt, who is open minded, kind, and really made us feel that if there was anything he could do he would do it to make us feel at home in what can be an overwhelming, dirty, and at times intense city. 6) The house itself is beautiful, filled with art and natural light and a little garden you eat breakfast in. 7). His two pet doggies! just sweethearts, will sit right next to you if you want them to or leave you alone if you are not a dog person, since I am though, I spent lots of time cuddling up with these two cutiepies and it improved my mood each time. 8) Did I mention the hot tub and veranda? I could go on but just take my word for it- this is a rare find, snap up the chance to stay there, it is well worth it. The best place to stay while in the capital. Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank livetotravel365
Reviewed December 30, 2007

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Casa 69 after a month long trip to Costa Rica. Casa 69 is located in Barrio California which is east of downtown city center. It is only a 10-15 minute walk to Mercado Central and less than that to the pedestrian streets, Teatro Nacional, etc. Even better there is a bus stop 1-2 mins away that runs every 10 mins that will take you downtown or to the University area where Mall San Pedro is located.

The property itself is well decorated and comfortable. The owner, Kurt, has been running it for over a year and is extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms are well appointed and clean with hot showers, cold drinks and cable TV. The breakfast was amazing (eggs, french bread, fresh fruit, coffee, and fresh papaya juice). And all this for a ridiculously reasonable rate.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple