“A must stay!”
Review of Casa 69

Casa 69
Ranked #1 of 66 San Jose B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Only stayed one night but it was great. Wish we could of stayed longer. Owner and staff was great. Ralph and Renandlo were super friendly and always helpful. Would highly recommend Casa 69. Make sure and check out the roof top. Great view of the city.

• Stayed: July 2012
There are newer reviews for Casa 69

Reviewed July 28, 2012

At first glance from the exterior I was concerned what to expect, but once you enter the hotel's main house your are enchanted by the warm and cozy atmosphere, I was greeted by Ralph and was really impressed by his outstanding service making sure our every whim was taken care of. The room was relatively spacious and clean, tasteful decor, and the hotel's location was great, we could walk to shops and nearby restaurants within minutes. I visit San Jose often and I am glad I found Casa 69, Please make sure to give my regards to Ralph, his service is seldom encountered nowadays, great service and great price, that is what I look for in a B & B and Casa 69 is it in San Jose.

Room Tip: Main house second floor room in left, private and roomy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I took my family and friends (party of 6) on a 7 day vacation to Costa Rica. The first stop on our list was San Jose, so we booked Casa 69 for two nights. For a fee, their staff picked us up at the airport. Our flight was supposed to get in at 3pm, however, was delayed for quite a few hours and ended up getting in at close to 9pm. Their staff actually waited for us at the airport the entire time and they were so nice about it!!! The drive was only about half hour from SJO. I must admit that when we finally did arrive at the hotel, we were kind of skeptical. The neighborhood surrounding the hotel appeared a bit shady and ghetto, but when we walked into the hotel it was like an entirely different world! The place was sooo nice, and decorated beautifully!!! they had free wifi which was great, the breakfast was fantastic (especially the home-made jams and juice!), and the staff were all very friendly and kind. Our main host, Rafael, was absolutely wonderful!!! He was extremely helpful in providing us a map and directions to all of the main attractions in the city, as well as good places to eat...except on one ocassion when he recommended a restaurant named "Cafe Mundo" which wasn't that great (the food was quite bland and tasteless). We playfully gave him a hard time about it the next morning and he took it well, laughing and joking about it. The rooms were fantastic as well! We didnt stay in the main building where the wifi was, instead at the building across the street. Although the room I stayed in was quite small and slightly uncomfortable as far as space is concerned, it was decorated beautifully and the best part was the hot water and water pressure in the shower!!!!! Overall, Casa 69 is a fantastic place to stay at for any type of traveler. We will definitely be staying there again on our next trip to Costa Rica!!!!!! Great job staff!!!!! :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights and would definitely recommend as a place to stay in San Jose. It was close to Calle Central and walk able to downtown. Definitely a safe and secure place to stay.. And very homey inside. The hotel has a big communal living room, free computer with Internet, and free phone calls to the US and Canada. The staff was very helpful and was able to arrange a taxi to the airport for us at 3:45 am. They also recommended a really great restaurant. We ended up having a friendly little cat in our room for the few days we were there.. Which was really fun. Great place to stay!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elyse M
Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Doesn't look like much from the outside but its a little sanctuary in walking distance to the city centre (about ten minutes) they have a wonderful traditional costa rican breakfast in the morning and a nice roof top terras to over look the city. Beautiful

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had a lovely stay there; the people are very nice and try to help in all they can. The concierge kept calling me 'miss mexico' haha

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I arrived here at night from Puerto Viejo after a 5 hr drive. The reservation desk was a kitchen counter. The room was 2 flights up & there was a large gate on the sliding glass door. The sheets were not white but had large brown flowers. Very hard to tell if they were clean. The bathroom was modern & ok.
I left at 5 am for the airport & the neighborhood was filled with graffiti & "night people" walking around. Definitely not safe.
I wrote to the travel agent that suggested this place & she had stayed there & thought it was fine.
The night staff of 1 was helpful by carrying my bags the 2 flights up & back down when I left. Plus with no phone in the room, he knocked on my door to wake me up @ 4:45 AM
I paid $69. for this room. Believe me, one can do a lot better in San Jose than this place.

Room Tip: My tip is stay elswhere.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Sylvia M
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Thank you for your review. We appreciate feedback from our guests, although I must admit I do not understand your perspective.

We run a small comfortable Hotel in downtown San Jose. The rooms have been recently redecorated, and are cheery, well maintained and clean, and yes we have floral sheets. I can assure you however, we do not buy floral sheets to hide dirt.

The room you stayed in had a King bed next to a lovely rooftop terrace that would have offered a nice view of the city lights and the surrounding mountains. There are flowers and tropical greenery throughout the hotel, colorful rooms, and bright curtains. We even have brightly painted aboriginal masks and local art on the walls to view and enjoy.

There is also an alarm clock in each room should you need to get up early.

Downtown San Jose is no different than any other large city. Their real character and friendliness shows up during the day. The area we are in is quite safe. As owners, we live in the Hotel.

We specialize in customer service and have been given the Trip Advisor Award of Excellence 2 years running and are #3 in Bed and Breakfasts on the Trip Advisor rankings for San Jose.

I can only assume that since you spent only a few hours with us, you did not have time to stop and really check us out. I invite you to come back and spend a few days with us. You will see we are anything but depressing.