“Loved the Neighborhood & Hostel”
Review of Casa Yoses Hostel

Casa Yoses Hostel
Panama
“Loved the Neighborhood & Hostel”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed here in February 2012 twice, traveling with my boyfriend. We spent 5 days in San Jose as we were waiting to fly out of the city to Canada, and again 3 days on our way back from Canada to Costa Rica. Although most people don't like San Jose, I loved it and I think a lot of my affection has to do with Casa Yoses Hostel, which we chose based on reviews and the neighborhood. Originally we where only going to stay 2 nights and ended up extending our stay based on the staff's friendliness and our general appreciation of the neighborhood. As this was our first time in San Jose, we had a lot of questions about things to do and how to get there - the staff was more than willing to help us and answer all our questions, including making several calls to the Bus companies to inquire about schedules.

San Pedro is usually not considered within walking distance from the city center, although the staff helped guide us on how to get there. We decided to go for it and walked to the center one day (about 45 mn walk) and loved it- the transition from the Center to the San Pedro neighborhood is absolutely gorgeous, with lots of parks and attractions to see on the way. After that first walk, we walked almost everyday.

Within walking distance of Casa Yoses (10 mn), you will find San Pedro Mall and a great supermarket. My boyfriend and I love cooking, so we where happy to see that the Hostel's two kitchens where well stocked with supplies: spices, plates, utensils, pots and pans, etc.

We stayed on both sides of the property and enjoyed both. Rooms are basic but clean with everything you would expect from a Hostel. The free computers, pool table, well stocked kitchen and staff friendliness was just the icing on the cake.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We didn't officially spend the night, but definitely appreciate the staff letting us crash here for a day while we waited for our flight. This is not in a super easy walking location to the city center, but it is safe (and gated), relatively clean (have seen cleaner hostels) and very, very friendly. Supposedly there are family rooms available; the dorm rooms are co-ed and can be a little loud if located close to the yard which had late night social activities. They also have a movie theater, game room, kitchen and laundry - worth it for those on a budget wanting a hostel experience and/or respite from crowds and high prices.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Oceanside, California
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Love this place. The staff are so friendly and welcoming. Great hostel in a safe neighborhood. They let us take over the television in the common area from 9PM to after midnight to watch CNN coverage of the US Presidential elections. Everything about this place is great.Good value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, TN
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I really enjoyed this hostel. We stayed here for one night both before and after our drive to Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica. The staff was very friendly and there was easy internet access. We stayed in two different rooms, and they were both very comfortable, with big windows and comfy bedding (though some rooms have very small or no windows, so be sure to ask). The decor is very interesting--there are many intriguing art pieces throughout the property. This humble "artsy" look of the place was actually what I liked best about it. There are several common areas for hanging out and chatting, playing cards, or watching TV. The attached restaurant is also very enjoyable with wonderful servers. It's location is convenient to the San Jose airport. If you're flying into San Jose and traveling farther into the country, this is a great place to sleep over as you begin your Costa Rican journey!

Room Tip: If you stay in a room that has a window looking out into the garden, you may hear the restaurant lat...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Germany
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Seated in a big house close the the center of san Jose this hostel has everything you need. Comfortable living room with sofas and television, billiard table in the games room, spacious dorms with own big bathroom (unfortunately not 100% clean), Wifi and computers (some are awefuly slow!!) with internet. The night includes a breakfast. I was travelling alone and hoped to meet some people but the hostel was nearly empty, what was a pitty for it's great terms and conditions. If you travel with a group you should definitely come here and enjoy the warm and welcoming atmosphere!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jonas F
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stayed one night at this hostel. The reservation was easy, good location, the staff was nice, friendly and very helpful. I did not have high expectations. However I decided to pay a little extra for a single room, but it was very very small, with no windows. So this is not going to work for you if you are claustrophobic. One night at this hostel is ok, but no more than that.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 9, 2012

This is a clean and secure hostel in a safe part of San Jose, althoug its dark, it's near Mall San Pedro and just two blocks from the main street with lots of buses. I arrived late but the staff at the desk was helpful. I had a reservation for a private room, but he informed me that most people didn't like it (as I see from reviews here) so he offered to give me a bunk room that was otherwise empty, so still a private room,. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was clean and adequate, and the hostel has lots of clean, common area to hang out in, including kitchens. The unfortunate downside was the VERY LOUD music paying until at least 1am on a Tuesday night that kept me up. I'm not sure if it was the restaurant attached or what, but it was definatelty next door. I needed a cab at 5:30am and the staff at the desk called one for me and I got the special hostel rate of $27/ I would stay here again, but will bring earplugs.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs! There's a restaurant with loud music at night.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
#3 of 109 in San Jose Metro
Pension de la Cuesta B&B
Pension de la Cuesta B&B
#33 of 66 in San Jose

Been to Casa Yoses Hostel? Share your experiences!