New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #75 of 83 Hotels in San Jose
Los Angeles, California
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

I was in San Jose on a "get away" week and to look at condos in the suburbs for my planned retirement residence in Costa Rica. The air/hotel package I purchased included City One. I did read Trip Advisor reviews of the hotel and said to myself - "well you didn't purchase a 4 or 5 star experience", but I did not think I would be getting a 1 (if that) star experience.

The hotel is situated in a very bad area of San Jose (the red light district) as I discovered. The desk clerks advised me not to walk alone at night. The desk clerks (with the exception of one very gracious gentleman who works at night) is uninformed and very unhelpful. Do not ask the desk clerks to change money - the hotel cannot or won't, they cannot even make change - I was directed to local bank branches several blocks away. There is wireless internet and a work station in the lobby to receive/send emails, etc; there is no printer however. A security guard is stationed at the hotel entrance day and night.

My 2nd floor room was spartan at best - however the room was very clean (as was the rest of the hotel - kudos to housekeeping ). My mattress and bed pillows were "paper thin" and sleeping was uncomfortable. There was a room safe - but I needed to pay extra for using it. There was an air well and an individual air conditioning unit. Room lighting is extremely poor, I had difficulty shaving. One morning there was no hot water.

As is common in Costa Rica, corridor and room floors are tiled and I could hear people walking and rolling their luggage at all hours. The hotel also does not turn corridor lighting on until dark outside (which in itself was not a big problem).

The "restaurant" and "bar" located on the 4th floor has a lovely city and mountain view and is where the self-served breakfast was. Breakfast consisted of bread that could be toasted (the toaster mechanism would only work if I used a sliced wine bottle cork to keep it down), some fruit juice, coffee (powdered instant cream) and some cubed fruit. I wanted some eggs and bacon - but these were not available. In fact, I was told by "restaurant" staff, that a new menu was being prepared so the menu in my room compendium was misleading as availability of food virtually non-existent. The only items available to order were cheese burgers, fries, chicken sandwich and that was all. The "bar" it looked poorly stocked and there is no complimentary happy-hour as advertised.

I wouldn't say my experience at City One was awful, but it was memorable. I doubt that I will stay there again. Next visit to San Jose I'll pay the few extra dollars to have a better location and class of service experience.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank Hotelguy90210

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2008

My husband and I started an 8 day stay in Costa Rica at the City One Hotel. Our Spanish was very rusty and so we had a bit of trouble communicating with the reception desk. Wen we went up to our room it was not very welcoming...but I guess we paid for budget. Cold floors, and very basic. It smelled like sour laundry and as we were settling the cleaning lady just barged into the room. YIKES. The next morning there was no hot water so my shower was COLC and the restaurant bar upstairs was completely empty b/c of the lack of food choices. We are not very high maintenance pple, but I can say I was happy to move on to better places. Also you need to be inside before dark b/c the hotel is surrounded by strip clubs and prostitutes on the corners. Just be safe.

• Liked — The bartender and chef....just because they were friendly.
  • Disliked — Room and location!!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these San Jose hotels

virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

Don't be fooled by the free cocktail scam! There is a restaurant indeed but happy hour does not exist. I booked this hotel because the free happy hour was included and a restaurant was on the premises. When we arrived at the restaurant in the hotel they were closed until almost 7pm. The "free happy hour" was not included and our dinner menu was reduced to half of the options presented to us and was over priced for what you order. There was this weird rotten fruit smell that would come in waves from the kitchen while we were dining. My husband and I spent $50.00 on a meal that was smelly and the restaurant itself smelled like garbage. One positive thing I can say is that the hotel is very clean. The biggest problem is the location. It cost a $18.00 cab ride to go 2 blocks just to get to this hotel. They also do not provide a free airport shuttle. It costs roughly $26.00 and they only take cash. Overall this hotel was really a doozy! I highly advise booking somewhere else!

• Liked — cleanliness of our room
  • Disliked — restaurant
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)