“Great museum!!!”

25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Great museum!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

My kids (ages 5 and 7) and I had a day to kill in San Jose, so we went by the children's museum. What a wonderful surprise! It is HUGE with an amazing variety of subjects and activities--40 rooms in all. It was super cheap, only about $7 for two kids and one adult. It was also very well staffed and easy to find guides to help show us how to work exhibits. (It helps to know some Spanish but certainly not necessary.) There is a small cafeteria with basic, inexpensive food.

My only complaints are that (1) a good number of the activities were broken, and (2) the lighting is so bad in spots that we couldn't see the exhibits. Even so, there were so many other exhibits to enjoy that I still give it five stars. We spent six hours there, and I had to drag my kids out. It is their favorite museum ever and have been asking when we can go back.

2 Thank TeaSip

Houston, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fun Musuem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I visited the Museum with some fellow college students who were studying abroad. The place made me feel like a kid again. Its a very large museum so you need to dedicate at least 3 hours to move through it fairly quickly. I went during a weekday so there were not large crowds but i've heard the weekend gets pretty crowded. I could imagine if I brought my kid here it would of turned into a 5 hour event because there are so many things for kids to do and get hands-on with here.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Hunter S
Panama City, Panama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great place for children, but try and avoid the weekend.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Our children had a great time here. They could have a look at a real plane, fire engine and helicopter. They dressed up as firemen and policemen. We learned a lot about Costa Rica, it's agriculture and political system. It was a great day out. Unfortunately we went on a Sunday and it was so busy that it was almost claustrophobic. I would recommend going on a weekday if you can manage it. Entrance fee was very reasonable too. About $10 for a family with three young children.

1 Thank 5onthego2013
Arizona
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Totally Different Then What Was Expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were here in Costa Rica last year for a month and coming to the Museum was on the agenda, however we never made it. We decided to return to CR again for a month and this time, we planned to spend a couple of days in San Jose before heading out to complete other parts of our itinerary. Today we went to the children's Museum and were pleasantly surprised. We actually thought we would only be there for an hour to two and then head to Cartago or Sarchi, however we were there the whole day. We actually didn't get to see the whole museum due to the size of the museum and the amount of activities. Being from the U.S. we have been to several Children's Museums and we thought that this one was one of the better ones that we have visited.

First, getting there is a pain. The traffic in San Jose is horrible and it took us about an hour to get from our hotel in Escazu to the Museum. I am sure locals know the secret route, since we didn't, we just took the best known route.

Take Avenida 10, which is at the corner of La Sabana and then turned left onto Avenida Central. We took Avenida Central ********(As soon as you turn onto Avenida Central you will see
Avenida 9, disregard that one as there is, I believe a north and south)******** go to the second Avenida 9 and make a left. We then took that a few blocks and made a right onto Calle 4.

Ok, the Museum is in an old penitentiary, which to me is an amazing piece of history. Yes, the museum is not in the best part of town, but there was ample police presence and a lot of locals, no one bothered us, approached us and our vehicle was fine upon our departure. It costs $1,300 colones for adults and $1,000 colones for children, the map cost $100 colones, which I recommend you get. We paid with dollars, so total it was about $10.00 USD.

They offer a mock canopy tour for the children, they get to walk across two bridges, then go down a slide, get to do a mini zip line and crawl through a tunnel with fake spider webs.

They have several locations for family pictures, such as riding in a safari jeep, a boat, etc. There is also a small restaurant inside, we didn't eat there so we cannot comment on that. There are way too many activities to talk about, but I will highlight what my kids enjoyed the most.

1. A mock banana plantation where the children are able to take the bunch of fake bananas on an overhead rail system, to a wash station, then onto a roller conveyor belt type system where they weigh the bananas then transfer them to another conveyor belt system to some crates. Very interesting.

2. There is an airplane and helicopter that the children can play in.

3. History of Costa Rica exhibit, which basically starts with the natives and transports you through the different centuries explaining the culture and basically how the country became what it is today.

4. A rainforest exhibit that actually had a few live reptiles and a few aquariums.

That is a just a little bit of what they had.

Now getting out of there: go back to Avenida 9, make a right and then at the second gas station make a left. Most of the traffic will be going this way. This will take you back out to Paseo de Colon. Just look for the tall Crown Plaza Hotel on your right and make, if you could keep that is sight, you are in good shape.

I would highly recommend the Children's Museum. Remember, Costa Rica has a lot of natural beauty, but spending some time in San Jose and spending time with local Costa Rican families and learning about it's rich culture and history is priceless.

Enjoy, PURA VIDA!!!!!

5 Thank weluv2travelAZ
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Super fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

This museum is a mix of all you know from children's museum's in your own country with its own Central American flare. There was loud music blaring in the main room as you walked through many hands on exhibits on the human body, Egypt, recycling, light and optics, etc. The central room had a tame, but engaging "hanging bridge" tour for the kids which our 8 year old gladly waited an hour to do. In the midst of it all, there was also a dance performance. Very fun!

1 Thank Jennifer P