“See my review under the Spanish name of this museum”

Museum of Contemporary Art and Design
Book In Advance
More Info
$50.00*
and up
San Jose City Tour with National Theatre and Gold Museum
Ranked #35 of 123 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: Contemporary Art and Design Museum at the National Cultural Centre -CENAC- the old Liquor Factory.
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Please see my review under the Spanish name for this museum. I loved it, especially as a contemporary installation artist. Thought provoking work done well and curated well.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

This museum provides a venue for an alternative expression of the meaning of life in Costa Rica. The installations are grand, well-designed, modern and thought-provoking. I recommend it highly to any foreigner who wants to know more about the real country of Costa Rica.

1  Thank Amira e
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This museum is very small, but where else would you see any works by contemporary Costa Rican artists gathered together - or at all? Anyone interested in modern art will find this at least intriguing, there were several pieces I'd have loved to own myself, including a golden shoe sculpture and a jungle tapestry! Exhibits change all the time. The building itself is worth a visit (the production equipment of the former rum factory were integrated into the redesign) and there are occasionally theatrical events, concerts and poetry readings.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

The old rum factory, now transformed into a Ministry of Culture, art galleries, an open auditorium for events, and a museum of Modern Art, with installations and contemporary art. The garden are full of tropical plants, and the old structures of the rum factory shows the pipes, pumps and tanks. A masterpiece of restoration.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

My first visit to a contemporary art anything, so for me this was a different experience. When I went part of the museum was being renovated, so they let us in for free because we would only be able to see a fraction of the exhibits. The atmosphere was very hospital-like. White and sparcely furnished. Each exhibit confused, entranced, surprised, and forced me to think outside the box. Not something I would have done in my home town, but I'm happy I went.