“It's O.k.”

Hostel Bekuo
Brooklyn, New York
“It's O.k.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2010

I realize this is a hostel and is cheap, but even given that the place is just a little too dirty. Our room's floor was covered in ants and the room looked as if it hadn't been dusted in awhile. We changed rooms and the second room was much better, but still while I've stayed in much worse places this place wasn't the best.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mwasco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2010

As far as WiFI, free international calling, and a couple big screen TV's this place is great.

The bathrooms could really use some maintenance. That's really my only complaint. Everything else was more or less as expected.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Mystic, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

Stayed here April 16th with a group of 13 high schoolers my wife and I brought down to Costa Rica. We stayed here our last night before flying back to the States and it was the perfect spot to wind down our trip. The extremely helpful staff combined with the eclectic interior were perfect. The staff called for taxis to get our large group out for dinner and the morning pancakes that Matt whipped up were just what we needed to get us started on our way home. I believe this building was a former embassy-definitely not your typical hostel!!

• Stayed April 2010
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2010

We stayed here our first night in Costa Rica, it was comfortable, cheap and fun. There were lots of fun friendly people, lots of activities in the hostel, pool table, darts, wii!, flat screen tv with USA channels, a garden, a communal kitchen etc... A little far to walk to San Jose, but stuff to do around the area!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

Very knowledgeable owner, very cool staff who created a laid back, friendly atmosphere. Easy to find good conversation and single-serving friends at this place, but equally easy to keep to yourself if you want (though not sure why you would since everyone is so nice). Spacious dorm rooms, sanitary bathrooms (better than many hostels in C.R.), decently comfortable beds, quiet after 10/11 so it's easy to get sleep, but also very possible to meet new people and go out and party if that's what you're there for. Awesome interior design plus art, pool table, Guitar Hero, and flat screen TVs which American channels. $1.50 beers. Yummy pancakes and fresh fruit and toast and awesome jam in the a.m. Cutest cat ever too!

Overall, well-suited to any type of person out there. If you've never stayed in a hostel before, or been to C.R., this would be the perfect hostel to start at and ease into the experience in.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

Staying at Hostel Bekuo is like a stay with family--distant relatives you've maybe never met, but they take you in and offer their home just the same. The atmosphere is chill and relaxed. No one will shove an organized tour down your throat here, though by the same token, if you want suggestions of the best to go on and how to arrange them, all you need do is ask.
The hostel isn't in downtown--is in a residential/university part of town. This means that you'll probably have to take a taxi to the bus stations to leave the city (about $4-5 usually), but also that the neighborhood is safe, quiet, and much more beautiful than downtown San Jose.
The rooms are clean and beautiful. The whole place looks like it was styled by an interior designer--not your typical hostel style.
The breakfast is a great value--especially when Brian makes shapes in the pancakes (which are delicious, art or none)! All you can eat pancakes, toast, and fresh fruit each morning.
We stayed in the 6 bed girls dorm, and our room was bright and clean. The bathroom was nice and the shower hot. Pillows were a little flat/lumpy, but otherwise we had a great sleep.
Tip: The first night my sister and I were attacked by mosquitoes in our sleep. This was totally our own fault, as we left the windows open all night, didn't apply any bug spray, and put lotion on right before bed. Still, 25 facial mosquito bites are not fun, so take precautions of the buggers usually find you sweet! The crew at the hostel let us know that it was unseasonably warm in San Jose when we were there, which brings out the mosquitoes. Usually apparently they aren't so thick. Still, something to keep in mind.

We loved our stay at Bekuo. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. Or less.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2010

It was my first time staying in a hostel and my first night in Costa Rica, but it wasn't pleasant at all. I arrived at the hostel around 9 pm. Everyone seemed out of it and wasn't friendly at all. I had read so many great things and couldn't have been more disappointed or uncomfortable. Because of my lack of experience with hostels, I forked out the money for a private room. It was clean, but the shower was terribly cold no matter how slow the flow was - the element heater they used was horrible.
I had asked that a taxi be called for 7 am because I was supposed to be meeting someone in La Fortuna the next day and I wanted to get on the early bus out of San Jose. When I woke up there was no one around. Luckily they had called me a cabbie, but he spoke no English and I did not yet have enough Spanish. I frantically looked around for someone to help me, but there was no one to be found!
Luckily the cab driver was very nice and took me to the bus station and didn't over-charge me... apparently I communicated well enough.
Regardless, I never stayed there again. Tranquilo was way better. :)

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo