“Very good!”

Hostel Bekuo
Port Vila
“Very good!”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

This is a friendly and nice hostel. The staff are lovely, rooms are basic but normal for a hostel. Irene was a gem, so helpful! I would recommend this place, it is safe and friendly and they have breakfast pancakes for breakfast. I got a shuttle from the airport was easy and cost $15 taking about 15 minutes and a taxi to the bus that the hostel were nice enough to organise for me.

Room Tip: I stayed in the girls dorm, but to be honest it was a little noisy for me. I should have paid a litt...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
becauseiamhappy, Owner at Hostel Bekuo, responded to this review, October 31, 2014
Woot Woot!!!

Thank you tremendously for your 5 circle review :) Yeah, I guess Irene's not that bad…joking…she's the best! All of us who work together here are a happy family unit. We all have our roles, but she definitely drives the bus. Next time you come back, we'll upgrade you to a private for free…How 'bout that?

Brian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We stayed here for one night in a private double with shared bathroom. It was a nice clean friendly hostal with good communal areas. There's a couple of dinner places within walking distance. The rate includes pancakes for breakfast. There is a book exchange at the hostal. Staff are friendly and helpful and will order a cab for you. A cab to the san carlos bus terminal (heading to puerto viejo) will cost about 4000. If you are arriving via an international bus from nicaragua watch out for the taxi drivers at that station who will try and refuse to turn their meters on and charge you ridiculous amounts. Best to walk away from the terminal a bit and flag down a passing taxi which will turn the meter on.

Stayed July 2014
Hey Folks,

Thank you for such a helpful review, with good suggestions for future guests about the taxis. I will concur, and reiterate (for anyone else who may read this) that taxis FROM the bus stations will often try to rip you off, and even take you take to another hostel. They sometimes even put you on the phone with a fake receptionist from our hostel (it's really one of their friends), and that person will tell you that we have no more rooms. This is because other hostels offer taxi drivers commission to bring people to their hostels. I will never offer commissions because it encourages these practices. If you feel that a taxi is overcharging, when you arrive to the hostel, first gather your belongings, and tell the taxi you need to get change from the hostel. Then come to reception, and ask one of us to help out :) We'll be more than happy to lend a hand, or two :)

Again, thank you for your review.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I have been in over 40 hostels in Central and South America. This is the best. Excellent spirit, helpful stuff, clean, nice community area, good wifi, great breakfast, cute little rabbit in the garden, friendly owner that shows you every cool corner in the city if you want. If you ever go to San José, stay here. I wanted to stay 1 night and stayed 1 week...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Xenia X
WoW!!! I really wish I remembered who you are. Best hostel in Latin America??? Thank you soooo much for that distinguished nomination on your behalf. Now that really gives us something to live up to. We will always strive to improve on all of the positive things that you mentioned. Send your friends our way :)

You are The Best!

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed May 7, 2014

1st, Thank you for the best stay in Costa Rica ever!
2nd, The market and to get a bus to downtown San Jose are within a dew minute walk from Bekuo, very happy. I mean, if you want to eat food on a budget or buy expensive, or even gluten-free foods, its at the market.
3rd, there is a nearby mall and a truck that sells fresh-cut tropical flowers daily for good prices.
4th, if you want to party, there are many clubs nearby from Reggae to Rock to just dance to the beat music. And, if you wanna chill, buy a beer at Bekuo and hang out in the beautiful green backyard or in front outside at the patio with tables and benches.
5th, Bekuo is stocked with so many gadgets in their kitchen, an oven, a bbq, and a most friendly staff that is more than willing to help out with giving directions, booking tours, where to get a snack, or just to talk with.
Awesome place to stay! It feels like home, and they'll welcome you with a smile !

Room Tip: Stay in the mixed dorm with bathroom, or the all-female dorm with bathroom. If you snore, stay in a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank stockcar69
becauseiamhappy, Owner at Hostel Bekuo, responded to this review, September 29, 2014
Wow!! I really wish I could tell who you are by this outstanding and enthusiastic review of Hostel Bekuo.

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!

You are more than welcome for the best stay in Costa Rica….thank you for the glowing review. We do have a pretty awesome kitchen, don't we? Everything you said is true. That's really all I can say. I'm in the process of updating my website. Ahhhhhhh, now I think I remember who you are…the gluten free gave it away. Maybe I'll contact you for a description of the hostel as I update the website. Again, thank you soooooo much.

Melbourne
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I really enjoyed my 4 night stay in Hostel Bekuo. I stayed in the private room which was spacious and clean. Staff are friendly and helpful. The people staying there at the time were great too.
Pancakes for breakfast are yum. Overall, a great vibe, safe & clean.

Room Tip: I stayed in the private room which was spacious and clean
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank estherlala
G'day…

So glad to see that the rest of your trip through Central America was a success. It's hard not enjoy the laid-back lifestyle of the tropics. Thanks sooooo much for the review of Hostel Bekuo. Every review we get helps us improve while giving transparency to our potential/future guests…and thank you for the overall approval of great vibe, clean, and safe. That makes us smile :)

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Wonderful, welcoming hostel. All staff and Brian were are extremely helpful and accommodating. Our room was clean, comfortable and spacious. Stayed with my mother who loved its charm and laid back atmosphere also. Lovely breakfast :) highly recommend

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
YESSSS STAY HERE :)

Well Howdy There, Young Lady!!!

I was hoping to see you pass through again. Maybe you did, and I just missed you. I had lotsa fun even though your stay was short. I'm sure the rest of the trip was pretty wild. Your mom is the best, as well. Thank you so much for leaving a review of Hostel Bekuo. We'll be in touch, and when I make it to your side of the world, I may ask you to show me around.

Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Nice hostel, very relexed and quiet. the bathroom are not that good and the water are not really hot enough. The staff is really nice and helpfull.
The location is o.k - not excellent but sufficient .

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Good Morning,

Thank you so much for your review of our hostel. We definitely have a relaxed atmosphere at Bekuo, and we also make sure that people have something to do every day and every night. Oooohhh yeah the showers… The showers in many places in Costa Rica are definitely crazy, and quite different than showers in other parts of the world, but they should always be hot. For this reason, we have instructions on how to properly use them hanging in the bathroom; however, it can still be tricky at times. In the future, please let any staff member know if you have any problems, and we usually have parts to fix whatever needs fixing in the hostel.

Again, thank you sooooo much for the review, and continue to enjoy traveling the world…