“pineapple, pancakes, piano”

Hostel Bekuo
Brooklyn, New York
“pineapple, pancakes, piano”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I always stay at Hostel Bekuo when I'm in San Jose and love my time there. Carey (sp?) makes perfect pancakes with fresh pineapple every morning which is a great way to start off the day. On my last trip, I even got to try some of her delicious "sock" coffee (which is made by pouring the grounds into a sock, and letting the water drip through into a happy cup below). Also a big fan of the piano, as well as the big scrabble and monopoly tables. Very easy to get downtown as well - just hop on a bus and you're there in less than ten minutes, or you can walk, which takes about 20 or 30 minutes. The mall is also close, where they have a great cheap movie theater. The staff is great, very friendly, helpful, and the overall vibe is very relaxed and comfortable. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
becauseiamhappy, Owner at Hostel Bekuo, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Hey there,

Thank you so much for the review. Caryn definitely has some pancake skills in the kitchen, and she's actually been baking a lot since we got our new oven. About 3 times a week she'll prepare some solid treats, and pass them out to whoever is around. We love when people play music at the hostel, so grab the guitar, or sit down at the keyboard and create. Thanks again for choosing Hostel Bekuo, and we will see you in the future :)

Until,
Becauseiamhappy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Warm, welcoming environment. Great atmosphere. Around 20-30 minutes walk to museums and main bus stops. Staff were helpful and considerate. Clean rooms, kitchen, and washrooms. Breakfast consisted of pancakes and fruit. Great value!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
becauseiamhappy, Owner at Hostel Bekuo, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Woot Woot!!!

We love every review that positively reflects our staff (#1), the cleanliness, and the atmosphere of the hostel. We are constantly striving to please everyone. We've got a pretty chill environment, but offer many exciting things to do around town during the day and night. Thanks again...

All the Best,
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed December 8, 2013

There's no place like this, safe, clean, near to everything, malls, bars, supermarkets the staff will make you feel better than home, the entire enviroment its so cozy.

It was much more than I could imagine, two hundred percent pleased

I'm looking forward so bad!!!

Thanks a lot,
Ody

Room Tip: the bedroom for ladies has a private bathroom, it's great!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Hey there lady,

I forgot to wish you happy birthday...so HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Please continue to dance flamenco, and come back to Hostel Bekuo, and put on a show. We all had such a good time while you were here, and we hope you come back to visit soon.

Until,
Odense, Denmark
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is of course my personal experience, but I doubt that anyone has something bad to say about Hostel Bekuo.
The staff was very friendly, welcoming and helpful.
I was writing an essay for my school during my stay and the staff was a great help, when I had to make interviews, as well as when I wanted to go and see San José and the rest of Costa Rica.
There was no language problems because people were speaking both english and spanish.
I went to the east coast for some days, and meanwhile the hostel took care of most of my stuff because I couldn't carry everything with me. And when I returned the staff greeted me with a "welcome home".

The hostel is not located in the very center of San José. If you want to stay exactly in downtown this might not be first priority, but the city center is just a small walking trip away. And personally I liked staying in a quite peaceful neighbourhood.
Hostel Bekuo has internet acess, fine breakfast and it is clean.
Of course it is not a 5 star luxury hotel. But the relaxed surroundings and atmosphere are what makes the hostel so great.
It is very easy to feel home and I never experienced asking a question that the staff could not or would not answer.

I would definately love to return to Costa Rica and give Hostel Bekuo my best recommendings.
I have never felt more like being home when I was abroad.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
We all miss you soooo much!!! Thank you for taking the time to write such a heartfelt review. You are always welcome to stay with us whenever you pass through San Jose. We've still got your drawing of the staff hanging at reception :) Hope to see you soon...

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I enjoyed hostel bekuo! Everyone that was working and staying there were very friendly and welcoming! Nice big kitchen, lots of activities, comfortable, environmentally friendly and clean! The best part??... Tranquis the bunny rabbit! Miss that cute little guy already!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Brittni89
Tranquis will be thrilled to know he made the Tripadvisor review page :) I'll feed him extra tomorrow, and tell him it's from you. Thank you for leaving such a great review about Hostel Bekuo.

Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Absolutely amazing, friendly, and down to earth place. Everybody here was extremely friendly. Felt like i was at home. Usually i get home sick on the start of my trips, but the people here were so nice it didnt happen. It is a hostel in a 3rd world country so dont expect a 5 star hotel. But it is one of the best hostels i have stayed in on all my travel.

Room Tip: All the dorms seemed the same, pretty easy to sleep
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Brandon L
becauseiamhappy, Owner at Hostel Bekuo, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Hey Man,

Any type of sickness that we can cure, we will gladly take the credit...especially the home variety. It's always encouraging to get a great review from a seasoned traveler.

All the Best,
Rome
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Really helpful and friendly staff, clean dorms and bathrooms and nice hostel in general with a TV room with sofas and plenty of DVDs to choose from, decent sized kitchen, 2 computers with internet, pool table, Wii and a pet rabbit that roams the hostel. It's about 10 - 15min from the centre. The taxi at the bus station wanted to charge us 5000 colones but we walked around the corner and got a taxi who went by the meter and we only paid 2500.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Well Howdy,

You are a smart man in not trusting that first taxi that tried to rip you off. PEOPLE READING THIS...IF YOU THINK YOU ARE BEING RIPPED-OFF BY A TAXI DO LET THEM DO IT JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T SPEAK SPANISH!!! Get out of the taxi and take you things...tell them you need to get change because you only have large bills, come to our reception, and ask how much the fare should cost. If you are being ripped-off, we will handle it.

Also, thank you so much for mentioning our staff. We have the best, and we are glad that people recognize that. It gives us great pride. Hope to see you in the future...