“Wonderful place to stay in San Jose”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostel Bekuo

Hostel Bekuo
Adelaide
“Wonderful place to stay in San Jose”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

What a great hostel! The staff are all extremely helpful with anything you need and they are very knowledgeable about traveling anywhere in costa rica. The beds are comfortable, breakfast is decent and free, and the common room is nice too with games, lots of DVDs, a great book exchange, and space to relax. My only (minor) complaint is that the bathrooms could be a bit cleaner and the private rooms near the kitchen/common area are really loud if their are people partying. The location is a bit far from the center of the city, but you can walk there in about 30 min or easily take a bus. The location is, however, very safe and in a quiet neighborhood near a few bars, a mall, and many restaurants. Overall-- I recommend this place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
threetoemojo, Owner at Hostel Bekuo, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your compliments and constructive criticism. We strive for cleanliness 100% of the time, but I realize, unfortunately, that it's not always "hostel" possible :) We are also strict on our kitchen quiet hours that begin at 11:00 pm, so I am extremely sorry if there any noise beyond that time. We hope to see you in the future :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed here both on arrival in San Jose and for the night before we departed at the end of our trip. The hostel is about a 15 minute walk from Downtown San Jose and had a nearby supermarket and mall. The hostel is clean and comfortable and the breakfast is great. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Thanks so much.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
threetoemojo, Owner at Hostel Bekuo, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
You are soooooooooooo welcome. Thank you for coming back through on your way out, and we are glad that you enjoyed your Costa Rica trip :)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2013

First, maybe we are too old and seeking to much comfort to sleep in a hostel. Still, our reservation was made with hostel bookers and that caused problems. The staff did manage it but it seemed complicated. The bed was broken and falling aside when one of us woud get up. We were under heavy attack with a flock of mosquitos all night. We had to put some bug repellent to get a few hour of sleep. On the positive side, common places are nice and noise stopped around 11h00. Good homemade pancakes, coffee and fruits included for breakfast. Good location in middle class neighborhood 5 minutes from the center by taxi.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JulesDeau
threetoemojo, Owner at Hostel Bekuo, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Nobody is too old for a hostel :) Thank you for your review. I looked into the problem with the bed. It wasn't broken, but I could see what you were talking about how it lifted up a little. It is now fixed... so thank you for helping us make our hostel better.

I also understand that there may be different living standards between Canada and Costa Rica (this is just a silly side note), but I encourage all guests to enjoy the architecture of our neighborhood, as one has the opportunity to see a diverse example of 50s and 60s high society houses at every turn.

Regards,
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed here in Feb 2013 and weren't able to get a private room. We stayed in the 8 bed dorm for two nights. It was a nice hostal, the staff were super helpful and welcoming and had excellent knowledge of the area and San José. The shared areas were clean and although breakfast was sparse, the kitchen was well kept. We had a couple of things stolen from the fridge (obviously not the hostal's fault!) so make sure you keep an eye on stuff. Not a huge deal but it did mean no lunch for our very long bus journey the next day! They have wifi, computers and a pool table as well as a big lounge area with TV.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
threetoemojo, Owner at Hostel Bekuo, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
WOW!!! I wish I would have known that something was taken from the fridge...few things awaken my inner detective more than food thievery. I am so sorry that happened here. We usually have pretty respectful guests, but I guess your experience was a bit different.

Thank you for all of the great compliments...not sure if you woke up in time for our pancakes, pineapple, coffee and tea, breakfast which is in the price of our $11 dorm.

Again thank you for choosing Bekuo, and if there is ever a return trip we recommend booking the private room a few weeks in advance.

Cheers,
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed here in August with a friend and it was just a really chill and friendly place to hang out. A bunch of us that were staying there went to the bar together down the street. There is tons to do even right in the hostel like playing pool, some people were jamming, playing cards and there is internet access too. Rooms and bathrooms were really clean. I would definitely come back here to stay the next time I am in San Jose.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
threetoemojo, Owner at Hostel Bekuo, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
It IS a great place to stay, huh??? Thank you for the review, and we hope to see you on your next trip through...

Until,
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I enjoyed very much both times I stayed there. Had all the help I needed from the staff, yummy breakfast. Staying in other places in Costa Rica where the plumbing was not heated, I was very happy to find hot water here!! (Not that I needed it to be hot, but then I could have its temperature my way!)
Although not in the city center, I liked the location, found the neighborhood quite nice and it is just a short walk away from the bus stop to go to the city center. As I enjoy walking a lot, sometimes I would just walk into and back from the center and from the University where Brian suggested I would go to practice my jogging!
Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
threetoemojo, Owner at Hostel Bekuo, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Happy to help you find a place to run complimented by a hot shower afterwards (although I prefer a cold shower after running)... Hope to see you this year again for the Tamarindo Beach marathon...

Until,
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 15, 2012

i stayed at hostel bekuo early november 2012 and it is a nice, small and cozy place. the manager took all the guests who wanted along to live music, this was lovely and made me feel very welcome! the staff provided good information about the city and there is security in the night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
threetoemojo, Owner at Hostel Bekuo, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Hey there, Woot Woot to live music at Mundoloco. Nice getting to know you on your stay in San Jose, and thank you for the review.

Regards,