We arrived in Costa Rica very late to start our honeymoon. We first swung over to pick up our rental car and then had to find our way to the Barcelo Palma Real. Honestly, the location from the airport was not ideal. One of the main roads was under construction and our GPS had a hard time getting us there without using that road. It was late enough that traffic was pretty much non-existant, so we arrived without incident. Lucky! Check-in was easy, but not exceptionally friendly. We didn't know where to park and ended up getting yelled at by a parking attendant in front of the casino (literally... yelling, arms flying. Oops). A tip for those staying here: you can't park along the street in front of the casino. You sort of sandwich in to the tiny space between the flag poles. Not a big deal, just good info.
The room itself was a good size and looked as if it had recently been updated. The floors were nice and it was decorated well. I struggled with using the key to get the lights turned on, but eventually figured it out. Absolutely operator error on that one. The space was clean, bathroom was functional, and the bed was pretty comfortable.
The included breakfast buffet was actually really good. The staff looked at us suspiciously for most of the time we ate, and we were one of only three tables there. The area we sat in had a lovely breeze from outside and had a really nice atmosphere. Breakfast was delicious. The cheese choices were a big hit. In fact, my husband spent the rest of our 9 days in Costa Rica trying to find one of the cheeses we ate at Barcelo to buy and bring home. No luck.
Check-out was also easy and simple. Our room had been pre-paid so we didn't expect much trouble. For being there less than 12 hours, it suited us just fine. The only real disappointment was the quiet disconcerting attitudes of every staff member we met. Not at all what we exected or experienced elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hotel is just a 5 minute walk from San Jose center, the capital of Costa Rica, and only 15 minutes by car from Juan Santamaria International Airport. Furthermore, it provides easy access to the main business, shopping and leisure areas in the capital. In 2010 the hotel was renovated and presently boasts very modern facilities and many services, especially for guests visiting San Jose on business. The hotel has a fully-equipped business center with internet access, photocopiers, fax, messenger service and plane ticket confirmation service. In addition, it has comfortable and spacious rooms that will make your stay relaxing and pleasurable. The Palma Real hotel has obtained the Sustainability Certificate, which helps to preserve one of the most virgin destinations in the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone and getaroom.com so you can book your Palma Real Hotel & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Palma Real Hotel San Jose
- Barcelo San Jose
- Palma Real Hotel & Casino Costa Rica/San Jose