Palma Real Hotel & Casino
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Barcelo San Jose(San Jose)
  • Breakfast included
Autentico Hotel(San Jose)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsmini barcosta ricanational stadiumbig parksabana parkroom facingminutes walkingfree transportationrooms are comfortabledouble bedhotel is locatedrestaurants within walking distancevery nice hotelnice stayfree breakfast isnice roomtaxi ride
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 10, 2011

I've stayed at thousands of hotels in my career, this was just another hotel. It was clean, efficient and it was just for a night on the way out of town. The one thing I will say is that the food was pretty bad, the worst we had the entire stay in Costa Rica. unknown food all deep fried. Yuck. No biggie, the other thing that was kind of a bummer was we were right on the bottom floor next to the check in desk, so we had traffic all night. Again, one night stay so not a big deal. The staff was nice and the valet parking a plus.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wickedlees
Nmurillo, Director General at Palma Real Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for making us your comments on this website, we regret very much that his stay has not been all that good, we are looking at different options for the room that is hosted do not hear the noise in the hall, talking with chef and we will keep a strict control of temperatures, we hope to have it back here in the hotel.

Reviewed February 27, 2011

Immediately upon entering the lobby of the hotel from a late night flight, directly from the airport, guy at reception very curtly stated that there are no more rooms. I gave him my name and told him that I had a prepaid reservation through priceline.com, but he did not lift a finger or move at all even to check whether I had a reservation. Instead, he showed disbelief and asked me to prove it. I didn't have a printout of my reservation, so I asked to use his computer to find my reservation, which I did, after which he stopped being rude. He called the bigger (and better) Barcelo property in San Jose (Palacio) and arranged for my partner and me to be transported to that other hotel. He promised to make arrangements with them, but he either did not do so, or he failed to communicate all that he should. As a result, when we arrived at the Barcelo Palacio, it took us a long time finally to get a room, and there were numerous problems that we did not completely work out until the following afternoon.

Expect to have way below average service in "3" and "4" star hotels here - I did, and I am used to it. But this was a new low.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank TravelandFoodGlutton
Nmurillo, Director General at Palma Real Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2011

Dear Guest,

We deeply regret the incident in our hotel with one of our partners, your reservation was processed since January 21 2011 through Priceline.com, the same day of your admission we had an incident which caused the hotel overbooked, we took immediate actions on your situation in our hotel, the receptionist made your reservation at Barcelo San Jose Palacio witch is five stars hotel, maintaining the category of our hotel and service.

You were received on Sunday February 20, 2011 at 2:35 a.m. the receptionist confirmed your reservation at the Hotel San Jose Palacio hotel at 2:50, we did pay the transportation toward the other hotel, because of the inconvinience. Thecheck - in was made at the other hotel at 2:50 a.m. and at 3: 05 a.m. your admission was processed in the other hotel
We reiterate the apology for what happened.

Reviewed February 15, 2011

I stayed at the Barceló Palma Real as I had business at the ICE HQ next door.

The hotel is smallish (67 rooms), but very nice and cozy. My room (201) was large and comfortable, but faced inwards and at night I could hear the low humm of the hotel's central A/C running every half hour or so (I am a light sleeper, so I turned off the room's a/c). Free WiFi worked quite well in my room and in the lower lobby at "n" speeds.
The gym is on the top floor and is small but very well equiped. Nice Views!

I never turned on the TV (which was small and old), so I don't know what channels were available, although the big screen in the lower lobby had CNN on all day.

The hotel director told me they will be upgrading the TVs to LCD flat panels, as well as replacing the mattresses (mine sagged on one side due to it not having been flipped over periodically), bedding comforters, sheets and towels.

The breakfast buffet was good and there is an omelette station, too. However, the OJ is awful (a common occurance in Spanish hotel chains like Barceló). Being in a tropical location with abundant fresh fruit, you'd think they could afford fresh-squeezed OJ, but....(Maybe I'm spoiled, living in Florida).

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Nmurillo, Director General at Palma Real Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2011

Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking your time to tell your experience at our hotel in Trip Advisor.
With regard to the noise you hear at night, and this department finding out if any nearby machine that makes noise and if so will be installed on the roof to avoid disappointment.

We are changing the Room´s TV, is already 50% of the new model and hope to finish before the end of the year. The channels are diverse and from different countries.

The mattresses are changing and begin the rotation once every week as we speak.

Orange juice, let's find a supplier that sells to us and give us fruit juicer and juice while looking for a better quality.

We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed February 1, 2011

I stayed here for one night before my trip to Monteverde and Montezuma. The rooms are what you would expect for the price and although the hotel is not very close to downtown San Jose, there is a park nearby and it is generally much less run down than most parts of downtown.

We were picked up on time as stated on the reservation and hotel management sent me a personal email to confirm the date and time of pickup.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank tak1980
Nmurillo, Director General at Palma Real Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2011

Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for your comments, we hope to see you again soon in our hotel, take the opportunity to tell you that we are making improvements in different areas of the hotel and the rooms, we hope you enjoy them.

Reviewed January 9, 2011

The hotel is nice, Staff a bit overly pesty about helping (looking for tips). The internet service is sketchy. But the big complaint for this class nice business hotel was the in-room phone that claimed to have no charges for long distance calls. ...except the telecom company that they connect you to charges outrageous charges for calls ($46 for a 5 min call). We has out passports etc stolen and needed to make a few calls to rebook flight etc and paid more for 5 calls than it cost for a 2-nights stay (~$250 for 5 calls less than 30 min total). When I called the telecom, they did issue about $60 in credits. But is still made for expensive calls.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank msbmsb
Nmurillo, Director General at Palma Real Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2011

Dear Customer,

We are sorry for not having fulfilled their stay at the hotel.

I would like to clarify that the tariffs for international calls are for North America of approximately $ 2.4 per minute, to Europe $ 3 per minute. Our software will automatically charge the account of each customer.
I would appreciate to send us a copy of the bill that we deliver on the Front Desk to analyze it and you explain that according to the Trip Advisor paying $ 250 for 5 calls Less Than 30 min total and the system cannot find any bills from customers such a high amount. You do not have the bill could send your name to clarify what happened and to give a good response.

Contact Email: palmareal.dir@barcelo.com