“Girlfriend not allowed in because she was wearing shorts”

Sleep Inn Hotel Paseo Las Damas
Ranked #22 of 77 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I have stay at this hotel before it is average hotel.Good things maids are greating at keep your room clean.Front desk can speak English.Bad thing if your on street side you will hear the bus and motorcycles roaring buy all night.I have a local girl friend.The manager Freedy would not let her in because she was wearing shorts.If like to wear shorts in a tropical climate do not stay here.

Room Tip: Stay away from the street side
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Loser1
ASMCR, Gerente at Sleep Inn Hotel Paseo Las Damas, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, our appologies because any inconvenience we may cause, this policy is in order to keep the best environment at the hotel to receive families, honeymooners and seniors as we use to do, but to avoid this kind of situations you can make your reservations for a double room and register your girlfriend as a guest, this way the front desk won´t give you any problem.

Thank you for your comments, we hope to see you next time.

Alejandro Saborío M.
Marketing and Sales Manager.

There are newer reviews for Sleep Inn Hotel Paseo Las Damas

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed in this hotel twice - once upon arriving in Costa Rica and again on our way out of town. Both times we found the rooms to be very neat and serviceable. The staff was very helpful, especially the gentleman who waited on us during breakfast. In fact, during our second stay, I ignorantly put a piece of bread into the toaster that was too large (I had neglected to read the helpful sign posted above that said "Toast only"); a lot of black smoke began to issue from the device and then there were flames! The gentleman was nothing but professional as he turned the machine off and waited for the fire to subside so he could dislodge the blackened crumb. He even brought me new food and was very kind throughout the rest of breakfast, even though I was very ashamed! Also, the breakfast is pretty good and it features gallo pinto, fresh fruit, and good coffee which makes me a fan.

The location of this hotel is within walking distance of a lot of things! I only wish it didn't get dark so early and we could have seen more. We were encouraged to not walk around a lot at night, so I can say for sure how safe or unsafe this area may be, but it didn't seem to be too 'rough'. We got some snacks at the Am/Pm store down the street and had a hotel picnic one night. I also bought my coffee (for gifts) there which is MUCH cheaper than in tourist shops. This hotel has a casino attached with a restaurant, though we weren't compelled to spend too much money there. On our last night there, we noticed a lot of activity involving older gentleman and young women in fancy clothes checking into rooms at the Sleep Inn....it didn't ruffle our feathers (who are we to judge what goes on in another country?), but some people may want know...

Overall, I would stay there again because the staff was so nice and everything was very clean and just fine. They have wi-fi, hot showers, and good breakfast. I think it was A-Ok!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments, its good to know you like our hotel and our service, our staff will be always ready to offer the best service, Alejandro from the breakfast staff will know than you appreciate his work.

About the area, it is really safe, as almost all the world you must be carefull at nigth, not wearing expensive devices or jewels in order to avoid problems, but you can walk all around with no fear, the city is safe and also the area.

Hope to see you soon at the hotel, thank you and have a nice day.

Alejandro Saborío M.
Marketing and Sales Manager.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This hotel is Americanized. It is clean, safe and the rooms were very large. In order to enter the hotel, there is a gate with an attendant 24/7. The rooms include breakfast.
the breakfast was included in the charge of the room and included fruit. juices, rice and pinto beans which are served with all meals.
There were pastries, eggs and waffles. The lobby is small but nice. There is always someone at the front desk.

Room Tip: All of the rooms appeared to be equal.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
ASMCR, Gerente at Sleep Inn Hotel Paseo Las Damas, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Mr.

Thank you for your comments, we are glad that you like our hotel, we hope to see you next time you visit Costa Rica.

Alejandro Saborío Montero
Marketing & Sales Manager

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I tarpon fish in Costa Rica twice each year, and upon arrival, I have to lay over in SJ for one night, and I always stay at the Sleep Inn. No real pluses, just a clean, quiet, reasonable place to stay, and it feels quite safe.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your comments, it is nice to know than our efforts to offer a clean and nice hotel for our customers are well received, thank you for your preference and hope to see you every year.

Alejandro Saborío Montero.
Marketing and Sales Manager

Reviewed August 29, 2013

American chain, newer, american quality 3.5 so there 4.5? I have stayed there 10? times past few years. One of the few, the few that is quiet in SJ. Many SJ hotels are plagued by street noise starting at dawn. Old construction, most not originally hotels, too close to the street, This one is solid construction with thick windows on a huge gated property set off the street except for the north side. Great free BK, free computers downstairs. Wifi in your room but bring your wifi cable--they will rent you one of theirs for $7, about the only bad thing I can say about the place. Very modern bathrooms, nice big towels, coffee makers, iron/boards, free digital safe. Free secure gated parking. Great location, centro biz district. CAb it to alot of good restaurants for $2--and at night cab it--SJ centro at night can be iffy and cabs are cheap and who wants to walk anyway. Negotiate with the cabbie before hand. Show him a red one ($1000 colones bill which equalls $2, he'll take it if not wait for the next guy. don't let the door man get you acab--you'll have a hard time getting the guy to take $2 in that situation. Just walk out the gates. A million cabs in SJ. I usually can get booked for about $80 . Free shuttle from the airport and back, back trip limited times. Bring their tel # and conf #. If they aren't at the airport to get you, call, they will tell you to take a cab and they'll pay. One time I forgot my computer charger and checked out. Called them, housekeeping had it, the mgr put it in a box and put in on the bus to the beach town I was in. Nice touch. Avoid the north side rooms and the south side corner rooms--you will be too close to the street. Best rooms are third floor center facing south. Love this place. You can spend alot more at a few other American chains and they maybe a little better, fancier, but why do it--this place is just about pefect.

Room Tip: Third floor facing south in the center of the hotel, not on the corner, and not any on the north sid...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mr.

Thank you for your kindly comments, we are proud to be over the average chain hotels, this is the reason because our hotel has 4 prizes as the Best Quality Assurance Review for Latin America and the Caribbean.

I am happy to tell you than now the internet cable rent is free, and we are offering a 12 megas Wi/Fi connection for free.

As you mentioned, the hotel is a modern building, and has a renovation last January in order to keep being a good looking hotel, with excellent services.

Thank you for your time, it is nice to have good comments to motivate our people.

Best regards,

Alejandro Saborío Montero
Marketing and Sales Manager

Reviewed August 29, 2013

good option if you are looking to be in the center of everything in san jose, i asked for a room away from elevator and they gave me exactly the nearest to it.
beds and room was fine, shuttle for the airport super! breadfast including srambled eggs and local gallo pinto, gym, and lively nightlife outside, when in the room i diidnt hear any noise at all.
people at front desk try to be kind but somehow failed. after all its a good option for my next visit

Room Tip: i was close to the elevator and i didnt hear any noize, ask for a room on the 3 floor whit a view, s...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
ASMCR, Gerente at Sleep Inn Hotel Paseo Las Damas, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear Guest
I apologies for this inconvenient you had. Next time you will have the room what you want far away from the elevator. I really hope to see you soon at the Sleep Inn Hotel.
You will see you will not have any inconvenient.

Best regards

Reviewed August 28, 2013

In the past seven years, I have stayed at the hotel about 25 times. Every visit has been for 12 to 18 days.

I have been totally satisfied with the service and hospitality provided to me. Most importantly, the management team,
Front desk people, cleaning ladies, maintenance men and security guards have been very friendly and professional. I look
Forward each visit to seeing everyone.

The hotel is only 20 minutes from the airport, and they offer free transportation to and from the airport. This is a great benefit.
You will be in a very convenient location to tour the city of San Jose or venture out to other tourist destinations.

I think the hotel is the perfect size. It is modern, clean, quiet, and very safe. It has first class security. There is a restaurant, casino, sports bar, and gym located on the hotel property. Also, there is a nice dining area to eat your free breakfast buffet. It has cable TV and a mini-refrigerator in each room. There is access to the internet from three different computers near the lobby area.

I would highly recommend the Downtown Sleep Inn to anyone visiting the city of San Jose or needs a location to travel Costa Rica.

Florida Resident

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest
We make the best effort to satisfy all the guest in our hotel. The hotel is improving every single days the custumer service. We really appreaciate all your good comments. If you have eny request, please let us now immediately. I really hope and want to see you soon.