“Nice hotel in downtown area, questionable area of town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown

Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown
Ranked #22 of 84 Hotels in San Jose
Grande Prairie, Canada
“Nice hotel in downtown area, questionable area of town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

On a tour of Costa Rica our tour company booked us to stay at the sleep inn. Nice hotel but in a scuzzy area. The room was average but clean. We ate at the restaraunt next door in the casino which was very good however we had a window seat which had beggars playing music which made it uncomfortable until the waitress lowered the blinds. Also noticed many prostitutes on nearby streets. The hotel had a good sized free breakfast buffet although we never ate there. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. Would stay there again for hotel itself but may consider different cleaner area of town. Although if you want to be in the heart of San Jose this is a great option.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Czech first
Spring Hill, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Quiet,safe,secure and a clean place to stay. Located in down town San Jose.Nice rooms,Very friendly staff. A great breakfast with lots of fresh fruit.Location it great with its own casino and restaurant.the food and service is very good.internet included ,front desk will book any side trips you want,will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank a1airboat
Ramat Gan, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on the first and last night of our tour of Costa Rica- both times we found the rooms very good, and also the breakfast. The location in downtown allows to actually to take a walk around San Jose's center. The was also good internet connection (also the hotel's computers with a printer- we used fo print our boarding pass)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Chapin, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Nice rooms, very helpful and courteous staff. The restaurant has really good food and superior service. Wine was over priced, but I hear that is common in Costa Rica. We stayed here at the beginning and end of our weeklong trip. Front desk gladly made arrangements for a taxi to the airport for us at 4:30am. Although the location is 25-30 min from airport I would recommend this hotel and would stay here again when we return.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kaartistry
East Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Firstly, San Jose is not a very nice city. It is a typical concrete capital but seems to have major issues of cleanliness with rubbish being discarded everywhere. There is a distinct lack of remotely up-market restaurants, although plenty of MacDonalds, etc, and very little to do in the daytime other than walk around the shops.

We found the prostitutes (women and lady-boys) congregating around the nearby square to be intriguing (at least from our A/C taxi window), but not sure that this is a memory that you would want to take away with you from Costa Rica. Best to avoid that area at night, although we did not feel unsafe on the main shopping areas at any time of day or night.

The Sleep Inn was one of two hotels used by our group (the other being the Gran Hotel), and most likely one of only two decent hotels in the city! Whilst the Gran Hotel has 1930's character, this place could have been an anonymous Holiday Inn virtually anywhere. There was nothing really to fault the place, but it had nothing really to recommend it other than the proximity (45 minute drive) to the airport.

The room was spacious with a huge double bed, sofa, safe and fridge, together with separate bathroom with bath and shower - actually the only shower that was worthy of the name on our whole trip.

Breakfast was adequate, with a range of fresh fruit as you would expect, cereals (which we didn't try) and cooked options including the expected local rice and beans.

Wi-Fi was apparently available with a code from reception, but I felt should have been automatically given free. However, there were three PCs in the reception area available for use by guests. The "@" may take some finding on the Costa Rican keyboard!

One downside was the regular bells in the night, rung every half hour on the side of a nearby municipal building. It wasn't even a clock, so not sure what use it was apart from annoying visitors!

Room Tip: Choose one in the Gran Hotel instead. If you have to stay here, try to get one away from the bells!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have always regarded "Sleep Inn" as one of those cheap imitations of a hotel and not up to my standard. OK, I admit I'm a snob but having spent most of my life traveling for a living I have my standards, and they are high. I had seen this hotel and ads for it several times but never thought of staying there, particularly when I have a favorite hotel in the city. But a few nights ago my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to give this hotel a try.

I have to say that everything was great with the possible exception of the breakfast which was adequate but nothing special. The room was clean and fresh. The bathroom was spotless and the shower had plenty of hot water. The hotel staff were all very nice including the night porter at the gate who kept calling out to me "How are you my friend" every time I went to my car in the very safe parking lot.

I always take a sound machine in my suit case to combat the noise of other guests, but on this occasion I did not use it. There was no noise coming through the walls and even though my window was on a very busy street I heard absolutely nothing as I slept in the super-comfortable bed. They must have triple glazing in the windows.

Next time I will probably go back to my favorite hotel but I will always know that I can count on Sleep Inn for excellent quality in San Jose.

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms are good
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank drushton
ASMCR, Gerente at Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Mr.

Thank you so much for your comments, its great to know than you took the decision to give us the opportunity to serve to you during your last stay in San José, your comments are really important to us, and we are proud to let you know than even when you already like our hotel, we are improving some areas like the lobby and the next step will be the rooms.

We hope to have the chance to serve to you again soon, we going to have a better product and maybe this changes make us your favorite hotel in San José, thank you for your kindly attention, have a nice day.
Quepos, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Everything was clean, staff were friendly and went out of thier way to accomadate our family. Some of the extra attention included -putting a sheet on our baby's crib, getting a high chair from the casino...very friendly! We would definitely stay again. the location is another plus, easy walk to most sights downtown!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Chuchofam
Dear Sir.

Thank you for your comments, we are proud of our service and its really important to us, to know you like our efforts to make your stay unforgettable, we´ll be waiting for you and your family on your next visit to San José, and you will find a few changes in our product, because we are now improving our lobby and rooms, thank you once again and we wish you an excellent 2013.