“Very Surprised, and Very Impressed!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sleep Inn Hotel Paseo Las Damas

Sleep Inn Hotel Paseo Las Damas
Ranked #23 of 85 Hotels in San Jose
London, United Kingdom
“Very Surprised, and Very Impressed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2008

We booked the Sleep Inn hotel for our first 2 days in San Jose because the Marriott Courtyard wasn't available (where we stayed after here).

And we were extremely surprised how nice this hotel is!

There are mixed reviews on trip advisor, but we had a truly first class experience. For the price this is a fantastic hotel!!!

It's in a good location in the heart of downtown, with the security needed given that this is Costa Rica, and free secure parking.

The rooms are very nice, to the same standards of Marriott Courtyard which was a big surprise.

The only possible fault I could say, was not at all the hotels fault, but there were about 10 American teenagers staying there who did make a fair bit of noise in the hall knocking on each others door and acting in the typical fashion.

Overall, if we go back to San Jose we will definitely be staying here!

• Liked — Excellent standards and yet much cheaper than other hotels in the area!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Czech first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2007

I stayed in San Jose one night to make my flight to the US the following morning. A friend who stayed in San Jose before me described it as "the strangest City she had ever seen." She was being nice. San Jose is like a big ghetto. I can say that because I live in New York City and there are plently of ghettos here. A ghetto doesn't mean the people are bad, or mean, it just means the infrastructue is lacking, and uninspired. Basically a blighted area that people with money and power don't care about. The fact that the hotel is surrouned by an electronic fence, lends to my assertion. I arrived at night, so I suppose there may be nice things there, but I didn't see any of it.

The hotel was new and clean. I chose this hotel so I could use frequent flyer miles, so I didn't have to pay cash. It also had an airport shuttle included which was important to me. The inclusive breakfast was quite good.

The only and main problem was that the "non-smoking" room smelled of smoke. The front desk claimed there were no additional rooms, so I had to suffer. They were nice enough to come spray in the room, but nothing can cover up days of smoking. It was a joke.

The food in the casino was very expensive, but I was hungry. A shrimp ceasar salad was $20. This was not Paris, London or New York, so that was pretty ridiculous!!! It was probably so expensive because they know that guests will not leave the "compound."

The casino was smoke filled. It was pretty gross, but I guess that's par for the course outside of major US cities.

• Liked — I didn't have to pay
  • Disliked — Cigarette smoking
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank harlemvoyager
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2007

The Sleep Inn was a very nice hotel. The rate was cheaper than other hotels close by. The hotel was very clean; the rooms are spacious. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was off the chain (very good). The breakfast area staff was very attentive; offering to get you what ever you needed when you could actually get it yourself. I enjoyed being able to eat a great breakfast while surfing the internet on my laptop. The only bad thing is that if you want to get the internet in your room, you have to pay $7.00 per day, which is not that bad. The internet in the lobby and breakfast area is wireless and free. I would definitely stay at the Sleep Inn the next time I visit Costa Rica; actually the buddy I went to Costa Rica with stayed in a nearby hotel and he stated that he liked Sleep Inn better and that he will stay there as well.

Stayed September 2007
Desert Southwest USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2007

After 16 days in Costa Rica, I arrived at 6pm, & was told to PROVE I had a reservation by fishing through my luggage in the packed lobby (for the confirmation paper). This could have been done effortlessly by getting to my e-mail on their internet in the next room- even though it seems they should have been able to look right at their monitor & see it for themselves, but the rude front desk guy was persistant about me digging through my luggage in public. After that, he got my credit card, ran a room deposit fee, then produced keys for a room w/ a king bed & a couch for my son (though my reservation was for 2 double beds). He assured me that a couch was the same as a bed, and commanded, yes, commanded me to SIT and wait for the room to be made ready . Well, I sat, and after an hour the amazing couch was ready. It was truly amazing. A foam pad with metal bars going across the underside of it. And for the same price as a room with 2 actual beds... Hmmm. They seemed so put out when I went back down to the desk and voiced my disapproval. A mere 3 hoursafter I had arrived, the guy was taking me up the elevator telling me how "he's from Costa Rica, I'm from the U.s., but we are both humas, and he is a great guy; and he will probably get in trouble for this, but he's gonna do it anyway... he's gonna change my rooms!" and he took me to a room with... get this 2 double beds! So, by then it was 9 pm, I was in tears, had a throbbing headache, it was too late to go walking downtown to get dinner or shop, and it was just miserable! It got worse. In the morning, I went down @ 9 to get the free breakfast & arrange for the complimentary ride to the airport (which we needed to be at noon for a 3pm flight.) The same guy from the night before told me that if wanted to use the airport shuttle I would have to take the one at 9:30 (in a half hour). I told him that would mean I would be at the airport for 5 1/2 hours. He shrugged & said, oh well, that's what YOU have to do. I asked if there was another shuttle & yes there was, but the 9:30 one was the one that was the one for ME if I wanted to use if for FREE. He pointed outside & told me that it was outside loading right then, and told me if I didn't hurry I would miss it, and said, "SO you will want to check out now, how do you want to pay?" Well, I did wantn't want to be at the airport for 5 1/2 hours but I had booked at this place to save the $20 on a cab to the airport, so I said, "well, with traveller's checks". "OH NO .we no take them, we take visa or cash." That was it. I said, ," you know, nothing has been good since I got here last night." That's when the guy said the rudest thing I've ever heard from anyone in the hotel industry.. He said," No, NOTHING WOULD be good to you! The room wasn't good for you, the ride isn't good for you, the breakfast wouldn't be good for you, even the room service wouldn't be good for you." Then he looked out the window and gave a wave to the shuttle driver who then left for the airport. So there I was. Checked out at 9:30 am (a mere 12 hours after their rude checking me in and I had to pay for a ride to the airport anyway). So, I went into their little continental breakfast buffet area and ate, and it was in fact pretty lousy. I was not alone in that assessment.

When I got back to the states, I filed a complaint through the corporate office & learned that each location is individually owned & operated. After MANY e-mails with the management, and them CALLING & e-mailing me to tell me the problem was that I had not made the reservation properly; I pointed out the fact that even IF that were possible , it took tremendous effort for the staff to be THAT rude to me. The management decided a solution would be to offer me free night NEXT time I'm in Costa Rica! HA! Free abuse!!! No thank you! Eventually a refund was given. Beware. They have a gate around the place but people can walk right though & nobody really cares who goes through, and the place has no actual means of security that I could see. I suggest the Aurola instead. It's right across the park, has a high security elevator that requires a room key to activate, the casino is on the 17th floor with a great view, the buffet is far bigger, better, fresher, & has made to order omelets included. They also have a first night availability guarantee program, they have a currency exchange that is better than the bank (and no line like the bank) and the management is beyond reproach. But beware of the sleep inn. Their include amenities AREN'T!!!

• Liked — leaving!
  • Disliked — The rudeness of the staff and the unwillingness of the management to "do the right thing"
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank DownTheRoadAbit
Hartford, Ct
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2007

The hotel is right in the heart of downtown San Jose. Navigating to this area from the airport can be a challenge as traffic is heavy and the streets are not marked. Although, we drove it during rush hour which may have complicated the matter. The hotel is newer; the rooms are very clean and spacious. The breakfast was very good. The location is great for walking around the city. The hotel has security standing outside each enterance and has a gated parking area. We were pleased with this hotel.

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank skctravels
Bluefield, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2006

We stayed at the Sleep Inn for two nights at the beginning of a two week trip.

The hotel environment was clean and comfortable. If you want to be in the center of the city this is the place to stay. The hotel staff were very helpful. This hotel is close to the museums and theater.

*** Watch for pick pockets. **** you prbably need a lock for your backpack or wear it backwards. (I used a safety pin on my backpack zippers for the rest of the trip).

All 3 zippers on my backback were unzipped without me noticing. We believe it was done by a team with a young women quickly walking by our group and then slowing down. As she slowed down, she slowed the pace for our group of three.

• Liked — safety
  • Tips/Secrets — Watch for pick pockets in the city
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank csbaug
Hacienda Hts. CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2006

This hotel is great; the people are really friendly, always willing to help. The place is private with great security for us Americans. Casino next door with good food. I felt right at home. Walking distance to downtown. I would go back in a heart beat.

Izzi from CA. USA